Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Losing the will to live....

Wikiposts

Losing the will to live....

Old May 2nd 2018, 3:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Losing the will to live....

If neither of you wants to contact a government official anymore, then my next step would be to consult with a different lawyer. Yes, you paid your current one up front, but he made the mistake, and what is he now doing to fix things?

I think the 3 choices now are: 1) continue to contact government officials, 2) consult with a new attorney, or 3) keep waiting.

Rene
Old May 2nd 2018, 6:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigT103
I really don't appreciate your opinion on my marriage, you don't know me, my wife, the situation or the context.

My dad used to say "if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all"

I didn't voice an opinion on your marriage, BigT I asked you to re-evaluate your marriage. A real big difference.

You are here telling us you are losing the will to live and that your wife is not willing to be proactive in getting your I-130 sorted. That's what is concerning to me. I don't want to see you lose hope or the will to live because some dimwit attorney made a mistake and no one is taking steps to correct this other than filing an I-824 which is being ignored.

It is your marriage and your life and yes, your wife. It is your decision on how to handle things as much as it is hers.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about it Tom however I can't see that hiring a new attorney would speed anything up.
A good immigration attorney will know a way to get answers that layman/DIY may struggle to. However, it will cost. There are no costs for engaging with a politician.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:46 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're correct, spending money or making a pest of myself to a congressperson is worth attempting to find resolution however this is not my petition, it's my wife's.
I’m one of the folks on here who placed a phone call to the local congressman’s immigration liaison, and she sorted out my problem overnight. That personal contact, rather than just shooting off an email, really can work.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I’m one of the folks on here who placed a phone call to the local congressman’s immigration liaison, and she sorted out my problem overnight. That personal contact, rather than just shooting off an email, really can work.
Definitely. I've had both a republican and democrat help me through the processes. The first (republican) I went to a town hall meeting and connected with the immigration person.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

So as the beneficiary, can I contact our local congressman / senator?

Also can they actually help as by the USCIS' ever increasing time frames this case is still within their normal processing time?
Old May 2nd 2018, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

So as the beneficiary, can I contact our local congressman / senator?
I would guess not. But you could type up an email and fill out the privacy form then let your wife sign it.

Also can they actually help as by the USCIS' ever increasing time frames this case is still within their normal processing time?
There is only one way to find out for sure.
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I would guess not. But you could type up an email and fill out the privacy form then let your wife sign it.

There is only one way to find out for sure.
Cheers Tom.

I'm just getting really frustrated now it's been 16 months and even though our I-130 was approved we're still no way near the NVC stage, very few people have been in the same position as us so trying to find old posts for similar situations is impossible.
Old May 4th 2018, 5:40 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I know you have said you have contacted two of your representatives. I went and looked up who your California Senators and Representatives are. Your Senators are two very heavy hitters and I don't know if they would be will to help, but they are liberals so I can't see that they wouldn't be of assistance.

Did you or your wife just email them? Or did you complete the immigration form on their website or the advance authorization form giving them permission to check your case?

Here is from Huffman's website for example:

https://huffman.house.gov/services/immigration

General emails will not be answered and/or directed to the correct place. Let us know how you have contacted them.
In my experience, California Senatorial inquiry is not that helpful. The only two political office holders who have more constituents than Senators Feinstein and Harris are named Trump and Pence.

Also, immigration inquiries are really dependent upon the local staff. Some are much better than others.