Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking forward Wedding and work

Looking forward Wedding and work

Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking forward Wedding and work

We are weeks away from starting the K1 process and although I may not get a job lined up in advance I am looking in setting up for myself in a field that is required and could be sucsessful....and have the support of my fincees family as they want to help run it as they are connected to potential customers that my knowledge would help the community....

I have read a few posts now that say they ask you at London interview when you exect to marry and also on the form when you anticipate going to the U.S now the latter is hard to gauge due to the process...is this meant to be a roughtimate? or do they really try to get as near and realistically close to the date you may specify?

We are looking towards a wedding in Hawaii which gives us time to plan and save, but this is what we both really want to do....but getting the timing wrong would be dreadful if it went wrong....

Not sure weather i have read somewhere when you go for the interview in London if they ask you if you have any work lined up.....does going into business for yourself stand for as much as having a job lined up ready?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking forward Wedding and work

Just answer any questions at the interview as honestly as you can. They won't hold you to it. You can tell them you plan to be self-employed, and if they ask doing what, you can tell them. That's fine. You might end up doing that, you might not, but it won't count against you if you don't end up doing the work you said at your interview.

As for the intended date of travel, of course it's hard to predict right now, since you haven't even started the process. I don't think that question comes up until you start filling out your K-1 visa applications in the UK, so by then you might have a better picture of when it might be possible to actually travel. Just put an anticipated date where it asks for one. They might try to honor that date, they might not. Again, they won't hold you to having to travel on the specific date you list on your application.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just answer any questions at the interview as honestly as you can. They won't hold you to it. You can tell them you plan to be self-employed, and if they ask doing what, you can tell them. That's fine. You might end up doing that, you might not, but it won't count against you if you don't end up doing the work you said at your interview.

As for the intended date of travel, of course it's hard to predict right now, since you haven't even started the process. I don't think that question comes up until you start filling out your K-1 visa applications in the UK, so by then you might have a better picture of when it might be possible to actually travel. Just put an anticipated date where it asks for one. They might try to honor that date, they might not. Again, they won't hold you to having to travel on the specific date you list on your application.

Rene
Thanks, this is good to know
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If anything they might ask about what you do for a living. I know they asked my hubby that in Montreal when he went for his K-1 interview. They don't ask if you have a job lined up, because they really don't care. You will have the affidavit of support so you are covered.

As for the time of your departure, when you send your part of the K-1 paperwork back to the US Consulate, you will have the opportunity to mention when the wedding is planned for or when you hoped to travel by. Nothing is written in stone so don't be fearful that if you said you were planning the date of the wedding for May 5, 2011 and then change it to April 12, 2011 that you are in trouble. You won't be.

I don't have a clue what you do for a living or even how old or experienced you are. I'm an old lady and am going to go off topic a bit here and ask if you really believe that allowing your future in-laws to invest in your business dealings is a good thing? I shiver to think that at some point, if the business is slow to catch on, that they might have serious misgivings and start hounding you about the wheres, whys, and howfors of your business dealings? If that happens it can drive a wedge between you and your wife (who might well believe her family has every right to investigate how you conduct business) or between your wife and her family (if she believes they don't).

There is an old saying: "Never loan money to family or friends". I think that saying should also be: "Never do business with family or friends"
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

At Sadegh's K-1 interview in Turkey, they asked him what he does for a living. He said he repairs oriental rugs. They asked him what kind of work he intends to do in the USA. He said "the same thing I'm doing here in Turkey".

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice from Rete.

Also, from the SBA Office of Advocacy, September 2009:
Small Business Survival Rates
Small Business Openings & Closings in 2008:

There were 627,200 new businesses, 595,600 business closures and 43,546 bankruptcies.

- Seven out of 10 new employer firms survive at least two years, and about half survive five years.
- Findings do not differ greatly across industry sectors.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't have a clue what you do for a living or even how old or experienced you are. I'm an old lady and am going to go off topic a bit here and ask if you really believe that allowing your future in-laws to invest in your business dealings is a good thing? I shiver to think that at some point, if the business is slow to catch on, that they might have serious misgivings and start hounding you about the wheres, whys, and howfors of your business dealings? If that happens it can drive a wedge between you and your wife (who might well believe her family has every right to investigate how you conduct business) or between your wife and her family (if she believes they don't).

There is an old saying: "Never loan money to family or friends". I think that saying should also be: "Never do business with family or friends"
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
If anything they might ask about what you do for a living. I know they asked my hubby that in Montreal when he went for his K-1 interview. They don't ask if you have a job lined up, because they really don't care. You will have the affidavit of support so you are covered.

As for the time of your departure, when you send your part of the K-1 paperwork back to the US Consulate, you will have the opportunity to mention when the wedding is planned for or when you hoped to travel by. Nothing is written in stone so don't be fearful that if you said you were planning the date of the wedding for May 5, 2011 and then change it to April 12, 2011 that you are in trouble. You won't be.

I agree, but there will be no monetry investment from her family side, just the help in which to set it up and give her aging father some pride back and do something with his time as he has similar skills required for the planned business

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Good advice from Rete.

Also, from the SBA Office of Advocacy, September 2009:
Small Business Survival Rates
Small Business Openings & Closings in 2008:

There were 627,200 new businesses, 595,600 business closures and 43,546 bankruptcies.

- Seven out of 10 new employer firms survive at least two years, and about half survive five years.
- Findings do not differ greatly across industry sectors.

Regards, JEff
Totally understand , but have to add that if its coming to a point where unemployment will rise due to census season ending, what hope is there for many immigrants currently looking for work when many will be out as well.

lets hope I am one of the ones that survive....
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:24 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, you do understand. Best wishes to you.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Totally understand , but have to add that if its coming to a point where unemployment will rise due to census season ending, what hope is there for many immigrants currently looking for work when many will be out as well.

lets hope I am one of the ones that survive....