Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on possibly marrying my USC girlfriend.

Looking for advice on possibly marrying my USC girlfriend.

Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Impel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for advice on possibly marrying my USC girlfriend.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you're getting a family-based visa, this will be impossible. You'll be authorized to work the day you enter the US if you have an immigrant visa, but you can't have a work permit in place before you move.

Ian
Can you clarify on that please? So you're saying I'll be able to accept a job and start working when I arrive but I won't have a work permit? How does this work, what kind of authorisation will I have when I enter the US?

Thanks for linking to your post by the way, and congrats on your 10 years! Interesting to read, but the judge looks very American - a little Judy-eqsue
Old Jul 6th 2014, 12:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Impel
Can you clarify on that please? So you're saying I'll be able to accept a job and start working when I arrive but I won't have a work permit? How does this work, what kind of authorisation will I have when I enter the US?

Thanks for linking to your post by the way, and congrats on your 10 years! Interesting to read, but the judge looks very American - a little Judy-eqsue
With cr1 you get green card on entry which means you are work authorized. With k1 that is not the case. Either way you are not work authorized BEFORE you arrive.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH
With cr1 you get green card on entry which means you are work authorized. With k1 that is not the case. Either way you are not work authorized BEFORE you arrive.
Ah, it must have gotten lost in translation. Thats what I meant, I want to be authorised when I enter and begin to work immediately. Not be on the K visa and still have to wait a few months and live off my spouse.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 12:24 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of the cr1 wiki. It seems to be made for you
Old Jul 6th 2014, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Have a read of the cr1 wiki. It seems to be made for you
Thanks, clears things up a little. So upon reading that it says an interview is required - what happens given the fact we are in different countries? Which country would they conduct it in? If they can do it in the UK does anyone have experience with this....is it easier.....(obviously its not easy, but you get what I mean)
Old Jul 6th 2014, 12:38 am
BE Irregular

Usually the country in which the applicant lives. The USC does not get interviewed.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

In another forum you described what you have written here, but you also stated that your girlfriend and her family were adamantly against you getting married. You are both only out of Uni for two years and her family are providing the finances for her business.

Has this now changed?

I ask because your wife will need to sponsor you for the spouse visa i.e show she has an income level to support you. If she does not, then a joint sponsor could be used - however would her parents be prepared to do that?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 12:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well in some sense the CR1/IR1 route does pre authorize you, to the extent that all you need to do is arrive in the US, give a finger print and complete the entry paperwork and your good to go; no further approval or verification is required.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
In another forum you described what you have written here, but you also stated that your girlfriend and her family were adamantly against you getting married. You are both only out of Uni for two years and her family are providing the finances for her business.

Has this now changed?

I ask because your wife will need to sponsor you for the spouse visa i.e show she has an income level to support you. If she does not, then a joint sponsor could be used - however would her parents be prepared to do that?
Things haven't changed but I started this thread to get clued up to see if given our status as a couple vs the things I have read regarding proof required by the USCIS I wanted to see what chance we stood. No where did I mention it was happening.

Like I said in that thread no discussion between her and her parents has taken place, both of us are only going on our suspicions of the outcome. Saying that those things may change in a few months to a year depending on if I am successful in obtaining a H1B in 2015 or the impact the distance has on our relationship.

I just wanted to research whether or not our supporting evidence would lead to a strong case. I wouldn't want to pursue the topic with her further if it was a lost cause, nor involve her parents if it's something we cannot do.

I'm aware of the financial obligations also, if we go get married either she will have the income at that point, or we will see if her father is willing to be a sponsor. This is the main reason I would go for the CR1 so there would be no obligation from her/him to offer financial support.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware of the financial obligations also, if we go get married either she will have the income at that point, or we will see if her father is willing to be a sponsor.
Just so you know: any USC or PR living in the US, and over 18, can be a joint sponsor. It doesn't have to be a relative; indeed, the joint sponsor can be a complete stranger... so long as they are eligible and meet the financial requirements.

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just so you know: any USC or PR living in the US, and over 18, can be a joint sponsor. It doesn't have to be a relative; indeed, the joint sponsor can be a complete stranger... so long as they are eligible and meet the financial requirements.

Ian
Interesting to know! Theres hope yet for our secret wedding after all
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, clears things up a little. So upon reading that it says an interview is required - what happens given the fact we are in different countries?
Nothing unusual happens. It doesn't matter where the USC is...the USC does not attend the visa interview.

Which country would they conduct it in?
The country that you specify on the I-130. Usually it's the country you're from, unless you are temporarily living/working in a different country. The interview cannot be done in the USA, it must be done outside the USA.

If they can do it in the UK does anyone have experience with this....is it easier.....(obviously its not easy, but you get what I mean)
Yes, almost everyone on this board has experience with some kind of visa interview in the UK. It IS easy. I'm not sure what you mean by "easier"...compared to what?

You had a J-1 visa before...it will be similar to that, except you'll be asked questions about your marriage/relationship instead of questions about your studies.

Rene