Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on K-1 visa

Looking for advice on K-1 visa

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

h0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really nice
Default Looking for advice on K-1 visa

Hi everyone. Just joined the site and I'm looking for some advice on getting a K1 fiance visa. First some info

I met the most amazing woman in august this year (she is from California and im in the UK) via the internet and we both started to chat via email and IM and then via skype and mobile phones. We talked for hours every night and really built up a great relationship.

At the start of October we met up in Toronto (I was there on holiday already so I stayed on an extra week and she flew out to me). It was the most amazing week I have ever had and confirmed my feelings for her (and hers for me). We knew from then on that we wanted to be together and started looking into ways to make that happen. She is coming to the UK in November for 2 weeks to see me and I plan to go to California in Feb to spend some time with her.

I knew before we physically met that I had such deep feelings for her that I would like to eventually marry her. We have talked about this and feel it is something we would both like to do (even though some may think we have rushed into this decision). We have been looking at the K1 visa and would like some advice on how to proceed with this. We would like to get the application started as soon as possible so as not to delay our future together.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice on K-1 visa

Hi and welcome.

The first step is to have your USC fiancee file an I-129F form plus supporting documents, some of which she'll need from you.

Start by reading here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

Also go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, and look up the I-129F. The instructions are very detailed as to what else is required in that petition package.

Also at the same site, look at forms I-134, Affidavit of Support. The USC will need to earn a certain amount of income to sponsor you. The income level is found on form I-864P. If YOU, the UKC, have enough in savings you might be able to self sponsor, but eventually the USC will need to earn the right amount after you arrive in the USA. That's all far ahead of you, though.

The processing time for the K-1 visa is around 8 to 10 months.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:23 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I met my husband online as well. We got engaged 4 months after we met and he came here in September on the K1 visa and we married in October.We went back and forth every few months between Scotland and NY. Our relationship happened very fast as well. We only started talking online a year and a half ago and he flew to NY two weeks after we statred chatting. It can and does happen! Good luck to you
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

h0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really niceh0tr0dder_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Hi, I met my husband online as well. We got engaged 4 months after we met and he came here in September on the K1 visa and we married in October.We went back and forth every few months between Scotland and NY. Our relationship happened very fast as well. We only started talking online a year and a half ago and he flew to NY two weeks after we statred chatting. It can and does happen! Good luck to you
Thanks for the advice and positive messages. We are currently reading through all the information and will no doubt be posting some more questions shortly.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

OK. We have done some reading and printed off a load of forms and have a few more questions.

1) What would be required for the evidence of mutual consent? "provide original statements from you and your fiance whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent" Is this simply a letter from each of us saying that we would like to and intend to marry each other?

2) What evidence do we need to prove that I asked her to marry me? video of the proposal or something similar?

3) Do the ID photographs have to be the exact sizes stated on the website? I want these to be done correctly so may redo them and size them myself. The passport picture machines for the UK print them 1 3/4" h x 1 1/2" w, with eyes 1" from the bottom.

Many thanks for your help

Pete
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h0tr0dder_uk
1) What would be required for the evidence of mutual consent? "provide original statements from you and your fiance whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent" Is this simply a letter from each of us saying that we would like to and intend to marry each other?
Yes, just an original signed statement saying that you are free to marry and intend to do so within 90 days of your arrival on the K-1. If you want to provide a bit of history of how you met (very briefly!), you can do that too.

2) What evidence do we need to prove that I asked her to marry me? video of the proposal or something similar?
They don't need proof that you asked her to marry you. At this stage (filing the I-129F) all you need to do is prove you met in person within the past 2 years. For example, you can use photocopies of stamped passport pages, photocopies of airline boarding passes, photos taken of the two of you together, etc.

3) Do the ID photographs have to be the exact sizes stated on the website? I want these to be done correctly so may redo them and size them myself. The passport picture machines for the UK print them 1 3/4" h x 1 1/2" w, with eyes 1" from the bottom.
To my knowledge, the passport-style photos have to be the size stated on the website (or in the I-129F instructions).

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 25th 2008, 4:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

2) What evidence do we need to prove that I asked her to marry me?
You don't require any such proof. Notionally speaking, you aren't eligible to file the I-129f unless you are already engaged to be married.

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:43 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

We sent in letters stating how we met and why we want to get married. emails, etickets, phone bills and about 6 photos of us together in NY and Scotland. Our I129 petition was approved in just over 2 months but from what I've read that was rather quick. From Sending in the petition to the interview it was just over 5 months for us.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Do you have to get married in the USA or can you marry anywhere?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 2:54 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

We went through the K-1 process but it was 9-10 years ago! Like you, we met online too, and we're still happily married so we're proof it can work out long term.

From what I remember (the details are a bit hazy now) yes, you do have to marry in the USA. I was in the UK so my OH had to organise the wedding from his end.

Good luck!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:14 am

If you enter the USA with a K-1 visa, you MUST get married to the person who petitioned the I-129F for you, in the USA, within 90 days. This is not negotiable on the K-1.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You can marry anywhere... in the US. Keep in mind that the US is 40x larger than the UK... that means there are a lot of places available to you... from ice cold to exotic, and everything in between!

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:32 am

We got married at City Hall in NYC . It cost $25.00 for the licence and $35 for the marriage certificate . They also give you the certificate the same day so you can also apply for AOS right away.It can take a few weeks otherwise to get the certificate. In NY you have to wait only 24 hours after you apply for your licence to marry. It varies state to state. Some states require you to have the licence a month and in some you can marry immediately.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys. I have filled out most of the G-325a but have a query about the section that says Applicant's last address outside the United States of more than one year.

What do I put for this? My previous addresses are as follows
address 1. from march 2008 to present
address 2. from jan' 2005 to march 2008
address 3. from july 1973 to jan' 2005

Which Do I put? Is it address 2? (as thats the last address where I have resided for at least 12 months).

Many thanks for all your help.

Pete
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:25 am

Hi guys. I have filled out most of the G-325a but have a query about the section that says Applicant's last address outside the United States of more than one year.

What do I put for this? My previous addresses are as follows
address 1. from march 2008 to present
address 2. from jan' 2005 to march 2008
address 3. from july 1973 to jan' 2005

Which Do I put? Is it address 2? (as thats the last address where I have resided for at least 12 months).

Many thanks for all your help.

Pete
Address 2 sounds like the right one to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.