Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

long distance relationships?

Wikiposts

long distance relationships?

Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:28 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: long distance relationships?

depends? I have had 1 american boyfriends in the past, actually 2 but one was in the UK and fizzled out when he move to Norwich,UK, for 6 months (I was in Canterbury) and the other didn't so much fizzle as was doused in water? when he went to Milwalkee (can't spell that for the life of me!) but friends with both. Its to do with intent if you are committed (which these 2 and me weren't) no go! but me and my hubby! not as much as those who have partners in the forces, have been parted for, I would estimate 18 months over the 12 yrs we have been together. and its about trust, very easy to get give into the green eyed monster, but if you have a strong relationship, then it may work
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

mine has been a long distance relationship from the start and is pretty much at the two year mark and going strong. Skype webcamming has a big part to play in daily contact, cheap calls to the States... these days its much easier to maintain a relationship across the continents
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Long distance relationships.... doomed to failure.

She'll be munching some other chicks furburger before you've unpacked your Doc Martens, Mach4 and hair gel.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 12:09 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for sharing your real life experiences Optimus Prime.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 1:13 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas is a hot bed of carpet munching ....
Old Jun 20th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Long distance relationships only work if youre shagging other people otherwise its simply a penpal relationship.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I hate every minute of it, out of 23 years togeather, we have spent about 5 years apart, doesn't get any easier, in fact, as the kids get older or move out, it's a lot harder.
We talk every day and have the webcams, communication is the key. If you don't have faith in your relationship and trust in your partner, it will never work.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Long distance relationships only work if youre shagging other people otherwise its simply a penpal relationship.
LOL. Sooooo not true
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
LOL. Sooooo not true
Done this before and it isn't ideal - however learned a ton of lessons from it.

Moving back to England in a few days, and me and my girlfriend were going to call it quits. We've made a plan and we'll see how it goes. Involves seeing each other every 8-10 weeks, emails, letters, phone calls, web cam. Don't want to be hanging on every day for a phone call - it's not that practical with the time difference and with work commitments. Don't want to know every tiny detail of what she's doing every day - that'll just preoccupy me and it eats away at you. If we speak then great, if not... there's more time at the weekend. Trust isn't an issue as far as I'm concerned - we have to trust each other or we might as well forget it right now. Just a matter of being determined, getting through this and hopefully being stronger at the end of it. Timing of this move is crap - her elderly parents have both become ill over the last few weeks, and her son has an ongoing health issue that has flared up again. So her moving with me for any amount of time is out of the question right now.

Made a date for her to visit in September, and that has made things easier already. One of the most important things I learned from before is that you need to always have something to look forward to. Keeps from focusing so much on the unknown.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:29 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I hate every minute of it, out of 23 years togeather, we have spent about 5 years apart, doesn't get any easier, in fact, as the kids get older or move out, it's a lot harder.
We talk every day and have the webcams, communication is the key. If you don't have faith in your relationship and trust in your partner, it will never work.
Comes with the territory doesn't it missus? Little did I know marriage number 1 was practice for marriage number 2.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:37 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
LOL. Sooooo not true
Thank you Mother Superior
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Long distance relationships.... doomed to failure.

She'll be munching some other chicks furburger before you've unpacked your Doc Martens, Mach4 and hair gel.
Clearly his week-long, sensitivity training seminar is not yet producing the required results, however he has a fair point. A lot of long distance relationships really only work when your OH knows twat-all about them.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Comes with the territory doesn't it missus? Little did I know marriage number 1 was practice for marriage number 2.

So true! I am usually pretty good at coping with the seperations, just for some reason, this time it's much harder, I actually think the reason is that this time it was our choice and not the military.

I know there will be no 'marriage number 2' for me, I'm not wasting all these years I have spent getting him in order, to give him to some other woman already done!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 9:37 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
So true! I am usually pretty good at coping with the seperations, just for some reason, this time it's much harder, I actually think the reason is that this time it was our choice and not the military.

I know there will be no 'marriage number 2' for me, I'm not wasting all these years I have spent getting him in order, to give him to some other woman already done!
Our 3 1/2 years of being apart was more choice in the current marriage. There was of course the normal waiting time for the visa-we went with a K3, but then after that, he stayed in the UK and me here because we were trying to get as "healthy" financially as we could. Had I been 25 years younger, I would have said never mind, love will find a way. It was enough of a gamble asking someone who had lived in the same country, city and house for 50 years to come here and start afresh.

As for marriage number 1, I wasn't given a choice. I held up my end during his career and held it up well.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:59 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Macca67
A lot of long distance relationships really only work when your OH knows twat-all about them.
That makes no sense to me, when you say 'them' who are they?

LDR's do work. You just need to be cool about it and have faith in yourself and your partner

Don't let idiots get to you when they've nothing better to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.