Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London producer moving to New York and in need of visa advice

Wikiposts

London producer moving to New York and in need of visa advice

Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London producer moving to New York and in need of visa advice

Originally Posted by dbj1000
He slighted his own character by making the determination that he's not of extraordinary ability. He should hope that he's wrong.

Personally, I'm almost starting to prefer the American trait of over-self-confidence to the British preference for lacking it. I'm considering having "Exceptional Ability" tattooed across my forehead, with my University crest tattooed on my bicep so I don't feel left out when surrounded by people wearing "Harvard Business School" t-shirts, "MIT" baseball caps and "Rhodes Scholar" flip-flops at the gym!
Oddly, I've often seen the opposite when it comes to formal qualifications... Brit's seem far more inclined to put letters after their names on business cards and on e-mail signatures. I would see it all the time, sometimes including rather obscure qualifications.

My wife laughed when I first did my resume for the US a while back and "proudly" put BEng after my name... said it's just not done in the US for such lowly qualifications

I actually work with people that don't even bother to put anything on business cards or e-mails to show they have a doctorate.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:33 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
My wife laughed when I first did my resume for the US a while back and "proudly" put BEng after my name... .
I just put Badda Bing after my name ...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thurlow
Hello all,

I am a British film producer and want to move to New York early next year. I have had a look at the confusing and sparse info at the London US Embassy website and have ascertained that I'm likely to be classed as a professional but doubt I would be classed as having an 'extraordinary ability'.
Forget the embassy website. Try googling 'extraordinary ability visa definition requirements'. Read the first few articles, see if you can come up with the requirements.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:06 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the lack of detail - I'm still figuring a lot of this out (the system and my plans).
Hi:

Fine, you are still figuring out the system. But what do you want? Other than a vague inference that you want to be a producer in New York, you don't give a clue.

A legal consultation is in order. An experienced immigration law will take you down the appropriate question tree once she has a little more than a vague idea of what you would like to do, your qualifications, details of future gigs, etc etc.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
There was a case on here awhile back where Jack Penate's drummer had trouble getting an O visa.

Now if a member of a Brit award winning performers band has trouble....
then someone whom woke up this morning and though "I think I'd like to move to america" has no chance.

just my tuppence obviously, but that's how I read it.

Thats not correct...I said that he had to supply a LOT of information and that it took a lot of work. He didnt actually have any trouble getting the visa once it had been approved.

I also know a fund manager who managed to get the O visa. Again, it was with a major corporation who can afford to hire the best lawyers. I think they had to justify it with copies of articles, interviews etc from finance publications.

Last edited by pejpm1; Aug 11th 2008 at 3:14 am.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I said that he had to supply a LOT of information and that it took a lot of work..
I didn't go back to look for exact quote of yours, but that's pretty much what I meant.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
He didnt actually have any trouble getting the visa once it had been approved.
I'm willing to bet this is true in 100% of all cases!

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm willing to bet this is true in 100% of all cases!

Ian
yup ..the courier service is pretty good ...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Snowbunny: Sadly not, so I think that answers that. Incidentally, anyone reading this and wanting to know a bit more about the TV/film 'extraordinary abilities' definition should look at this http://www.visabureau.com/america/ex...aspx#O1FAQfour.
I'm much more familiar with the rock/pop/indie music world, where I try to scare the shite out of Brits (or should that be into?) to NOT get a single drugs related offence because it will bar you from even visiting the US.

This didn't work in one case but it was in a dodgy court in Scotland that ended up dismissing the charges. Everyone else has behaved!

So rule #1: are you fairly squeaky clean with regards the law?

I'd work on brushing up the CV and seeing if you can possibly blag your way iinto a UK-US co-production. Documentaries are good. Or make your own indie film and enter it at SXSW: www.sxsw.org . Life is much easier if you have a company here who wants you.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:21 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Oddly, I've often seen the opposite when it comes to formal qualifications... Brit's seem far more inclined to put letters after their names on business cards and on e-mail signatures. I would see it all the time, sometimes including rather obscure qualifications.

My wife laughed when I first did my resume for the US a while back and "proudly" put BEng after my name... said it's just not done in the US for such lowly qualifications

I actually work with people that don't even bother to put anything on business cards or e-mails to show they have a doctorate.
True, but unrelated to my point. Yes, it was once expected that you would put all those silly letters after your name in Britain - far less common now, I find. And yes, I work with ~50% Engineers with PhDs, and none of them put either Dr. before their name or PhD after... well one does, but he's a bit of a dick.

I was really just joking about the absurd t-shirts, bumper stickers and baseball caps I often see. MIT, Harvard and 100 different flavors of MBA are all common. I still expect to see the same for Oxbridge graduates in Britain any day now.

Even funnier are the Freemasons' t-shirts, baseball caps (I shit you not!) and bumper stickers ("The Masons - Stop Me And Ask About It") that I see almost daily around here. Nothing says "secret society" better than a baseball cap with your lodge crest on it!