London producer moving to New York and in need of visa advice

Wikiposts

London producer moving to New York and in need of visa advice

Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:34 am
Just Joined

thurlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London producer moving to New York and in need of visa advice

Hello all,

I am a British film producer and want to move to New York early next year. I have had a look at the confusing and sparse info at the London US Embassy website and have ascertained that I'm likely to be classed as a professional but doubt I would be classed as having an 'extraordinary ability'. Putting that slight against my character aside for one moment, would someone be kind enough to help me work out what type of visa I should apply for?

I would like to live in NY for longer than 90 days but don't know yet if this means living there permanently.

I intend to carry on working in my industry when in NY, if that helps my status as a professional.

Here's hoping some kindly soul will help me in a rather confusing mess of information,

Thurlow

P.S. Apologises if this is a regular question that crops up and/or if I've missed an obvious link/thread/etc. Feel free to drop me a link and delete this thread if needed.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:35 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London producer moving to New York and in need of visa advice

Originally Posted by thurlow
Hello all,

I am a British film producer and want to move to New York early next year. I have had a look at the confusing and sparse info at the London US Embassy website and have ascertained that I'm likely to be classed as a professional but doubt I would be classed as having an 'extraordinary ability'. Putting that slight against my character aside for one moment, would someone be kind enough to help me work out what type of visa I should apply for?

I would like to live in NY for longer than 90 days but don't know yet if this means living there permanently.

I intend to carry on working in my industry when in NY, if that helps my status as a professional.

Here's hoping some kindly soul will help me in a rather confusing mess of information,

Thurlow

P.S. Apologises if this is a regular question that crops up and/or if I've missed an obvious link/thread/etc. Feel free to drop me a link and delete this thread if needed.
surely by being married to Madonna you can DCF?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:42 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thurlow

You make the visa sound like it's a formality, and you're already planning your move. Unfortunately it isn't, and based on what little information you've provided so far, you won't be moving any time soon.

Read this Wiki article and tell us which visa you think you may be eligible for, and we can start to give you more advise.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Thurlow

Hi:

Your posting is extremely vague and confusing.

This is one of those situations where proceeding on your own is not recommended. There are several that engage in entertainment type of visas.

The syntax of your posting is not the clearest. You note that someone has "slight[ed]" you by a determination that you are not "extraordinary" but don't give the source while seeming to suggest that this is solely from your reading of of the London Embassy's web-site. Also, you are quite vague about your plans -- the details are important.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:54 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Your posting is extremely vague and confusing.

This is one of those situations where proceeding on your own is not recommended. There are several that engage in entertainment type of visas.

The syntax of your posting is not the clearest. You note that someone has "slight[ed]" you by a determination that you are not "extraordinary" but don't give the source while seeming to suggest that this is solely from your reading of of the London Embassy's web-site. Also, you are quite vague about your plans -- the details are important.
He slighted his own character by making the determination that he's not of extraordinary ability. He should hope that he's wrong.

Personally, I'm almost starting to prefer the American trait of over-self-confidence to the British preference for lacking it. I'm considering having "Exceptional Ability" tattooed across my forehead, with my University crest tattooed on my bicep so I don't feel left out when surrounded by people wearing "Harvard Business School" t-shirts, "MIT" baseball caps and "Rhodes Scholar" flip-flops at the gym!

Last edited by dbj1000; Aug 11th 2008 at 12:59 am.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
He slighted his own character by making the determination that he's not of extraordinary ability. He should hope that he's wrong.

Personally, I'm almost starting to prefer the American trait of over-self-confidence to the British preference for lacking it. I'm considering having "Exceptional Ability" tattooed across my forehead, with my University crest tattooed on my bicep so I don't feel left out when surrounded by people wearing "Harvard Business School" t-shirts, "MIT" baseball caps and "Rhodes Scholar" flip-flops at the gym!
Lol. It'll try and be more straight forward and less... British.

Thanks for the linkdbj1000. Very useful.

Sorry for the lack of detail - I'm still figuring a lot of this out (the system and my plans).

Is there an official definition of 'extraordinary ability'? It may be straightforward in a medical or technical industry but in the arts it can be vague and down to personal taste.

Last edited by thurlow; Aug 11th 2008 at 1:10 am.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:09 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

extraordinary ability.

I would imagine that's like Oscar winners and the like.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:13 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
extraordinary ability.

I would imagine that's like Oscar winners and the like.
But Mr F's post also suggests this may not be clear-cut.

However:

"This is one of those situations where proceeding on your own is not recommended."
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:16 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Elvira
But Mr F's post also suggests this may not be clear-cut.

However:

"This is one of those situations where proceeding on your own is not recommended."
There was a case on here awhile back where Jack Penate's drummer had trouble getting an O visa.

Now if a member of a Brit award winning performers band has trouble....
then someone whom woke up this morning and though "I think I'd like to move to america" has no chance.

just my tuppence obviously, but that's how I read it.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

This is certainly not definitive, but to the original poster:

do your peers know your name and your work? Are you the subject of namechecking/name-dropping? Are you well known to your American peers?

Definitely not a DIY visa, but the above questions might help you figure out how "extraordinary" you are.

Manc: you have to be "well known" in your field (in the US).... or have a record label behind you to even get a P visa.

Last edited by snowbunny; Aug 11th 2008 at 1:19 am.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
There was a case on here awhile back where Jack Penate's drummer had trouble getting an O visa.

Now if a member of a Brit award winning performers band has trouble....
then someone whom woke up this morning and though "I think I'd like to move to america" has no chance.

just my tuppence obviously, but that's how I read it.
LOL you're probably right.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:22 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Go these these people in London ...and layout your plan ..

http://www.usvisalawgroup.com/
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray

Snowbunny: Sadly not, so I think that answers that. Incidentally, anyone reading this and wanting to know a bit more about the TV/film 'extraordinary abilities' definition should look at this http://www.visabureau.com/america/ex...aspx#O1FAQfour.

Ray: That's very handy, thanks.

To everyone who helped: Thank you!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray

Snowbunny: Sadly not. In my research I found this http://www.visabureau.com/america/ex...aspx#O1FAQfour which gives some helpful advice.

Ray: That's very useful, thanks.

To everyone who helped: Thank you!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:08 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you also mentioned 30 days - which suggests your talking about the visa waiver program (vwp). On that program you cannot work. you could attend interviews and the like but not accept or perform a job that normally you would be paid for (so volunteering to do it unpaid wont cut it either). Also - at the end of 90 days you need to have left the country or its classed as an overstay and a blight on any future immigration events.

to apply for a visa you need to be out of the country too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.