Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London K1 Interview Experience - Approved!

London K1 Interview Experience - Approved!

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 3:58 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default London K1 Interview Experience - Approved!

Hi all,

Well let me just say first off............... YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE I'M APPROVED!!!!

My god!! It just seems so surreal that i'm finally approved. I've been so used to checking my case status online, looking at my timeline, organising documents, reading and contributing to this and other forums that its all over, or at least phase 1 of this process!

So without further blabbing I will give you my experience. The day started for me at 6am. I was staying at a friends apartment near London Bridge. My Nokia alarm sounded and I jumped out of bed and headed for the bathroom getting showered and ready in record time. I then caught a tube bound for Marble Arch. I then followed the directions off multimap to Dr Phelans stopping only for a diet vanilla coke and donuts at a Sainsburys local. I got to Dr Phelans at 7.20 am and there were already about 6 people waiting in no particular order. At 7.50 on of the guys pressed the buzzer and the lady let him and the rest of us in.

We were told to go through to the waiting room and take a seat. Which we all did, you could really sense the nerves in the room. Everyone was doing last minute checks on there papework. A lady then came through and gave us all a green folder in which to put all of our documents there required: 1 passport photo (uk/u.s. style didn't matter), medical questionnaire, vaccination history (if any) and our passport. I got it all out of my bag and then took it back to her at reception. At this point I asked where the toilet was, I had to see this legendary domain! Its reputation is well earnt, it is by far the lowest roof I’ve ever seen for a bathroom/toilet combo. I'm 6.2 ft and I had real trouble fitting in there.

So I went back up stairs to hear my name being called to reception. I went to reception and paid the lady £125... thank you very much and she gave me back my passport and my green folder and told me to go down stairs and put my folder in the plastic holder and sit in the waiting room. 10 minutes later I entered a small room and a nurse took a blood sample. Back to the waiting room, I was then called through for my chest X-ray. I had to get naked, or at least on the top half which I did. I then had the chest X-ray done, and was told to wait in a cubicle leaving my shirt off until called byy Dr Phelan. He called me through about 10 minutes later said my vaccination history was fine and I didn't need anything else. He also asked if I’d have chickenpox which I replied yes, and he said that was fine. He then took my blood pressure, listened to my chest and told me to undo my pants and get on the couch, at which point I freaked. I conjured up all sorts of odd scenario's involving disposable gloves and cupping, luckily it wasn't the case!! He then told me to get my shirt back on and head to the embassy and my blood test would get there mid morning.

I went with 2 African guys who were both filing for K1's, one was going to California the other to Columbus, Ohio. They lead the way which meant I didn't have to use my nicely printed map and directions! When we got to the embassy we saw the que, and it was massive snaking around 1/2 the perimeter of the embassy. Luckily I'd been told to walk right to the front and show my appointment letter and I wouldn't have to wait. This was the case and after having my bag scanned and going through a metal detector I was in! I went to the front desk and was asked to hand in all electrical equipment, goodbye trustee Nokia. I then headed right at the desk and upstairs to the Immigration visa section, I pressed the button on the door and was buzzed in. I then proceeded to desk "1" and showed the clerk my appointment letter, they took it and asked me to go to the front desk and purchase a £10 courier envelope for the visa and then to take a seat. It was now about 9.30am. I sat next to my African buddies and chatted about Angie and our experiences, and listened to there’s and also got talking to another British guy who i'd seen in the medical. He was a similar age to me and his U.S. fiancée was living with him in London.

While I sat there and watched the extremely crap PowerPoint presentations on video screens with cool U.S. immigration facts like "Fiance(e) visa applications cost $100" I did see one interesting point. They conduct interviews in alphabetical order, so I was blessed with having the surname "Davidson". At around 10am I was called up to desk one and greeted by a skinny geeky looking fellow with glasses and an accent I couldn't place and asked for my passport, birth and police certificates, I-134 affidavit of support and 2 U.S. style passport photographs and photocopies of all documents which I gave him. He then told me to sit back down and my name would be called.

20 minutes later I was called and asked to go to counter 6 by an American guy who squinted a lot and resembled Donald Rumsfield. He scanned both of my index fingers then asked me to sit back down. I remember feeling less nervous the more times I went up, which was a good thing.

At about 11am Donald Rumsfield who I was watching, squinted a few times and called me up, I was sure this was it. I got to the counter and he said "Everything looks in order here, doesn't look like your going to starve". He got me to write Angie's fullname and sign the form, which I think was Ds-156 and then said "Right so how did you meet Angela?". I said we'd met in Australia on vacation in June 2001 explained how we feel in love yada yada. Then he said "Right so you meet in Australia, say goodbye in Sydney airport then what happens"?. I then went on about how we'd kept in contact via phone,email,im etc and that I went out in November to Milwaukee. He then said "Oh so you've been to Milwaukee". "Yep". "Right so has she been to see you in London". Yep she studied/lived here for 6 months from December through May 2003, and has visited me 2 times since then. "Ok so have you met each others parents", "Yep her family love me, my parents live in New Orleans and have met Angie on numerous occasions and really like her". He then said "Right, well everything seems fine here pending you medical, go and sit back down and we'll call you when the medical result arrives around 11am". Back to my seat and plenty of hand shakes from my new best buddies. Then at 11.30am myself and Daniel (the other Brit) were called to the counter 1 by a lady who said "Ok medicals are fine, your visas are approved you'll receive them tomorrow". I expected a congratulations of something, but hey I didn't care after 10 months of waiting, hurting, and agonising over this bloody interview it was over and I was approved, thank you Jesus!

I dashed outside and called Angie, she was sleepy but soon snapped out of it when the news sunk in. So that’s it, I then went off for a celebratory drinks and lunch with Daniel at a nearby pub. So there you have it my painless London K1 interview experience.

Alright i'm off! Time to party.

A very happy James!

Last edited by mcjimbo; Jun 2nd 2004 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 4:03 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London K1 Interview Experience - Approved!

Let Mr. P and I be the first to congratulate you and Angie. You did good, kid..........

~SecretGarden
~Looking forward to a few pints in Milwaukee once you get here!

P.S. I noticed you said you met Angie "on vaccination in Australia"-----forms on the brain, James?

Last edited by SecretGarden; Jun 2nd 2004 at 4:05 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 4:04 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't read you entire post in detail yet, cuz I saw the first line and just had to say YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many congrats on your success, James and Angie, and I told ya you wouldn't need luck!!!!! Ok, I'll get back to reading your experience now!!!

Kate. xxx
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 4:24 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by SecretGarden
Let Mr. P and I be the first to congratulate you and Angie. You did good, kid..........

~SecretGarden
~Looking forward to a few pints in Milwaukee once you get here!

P.S. I noticed you said you met Angie "on vaccination in Australia"-----forms on the brain, James?
LOL thanks for the wishes SG and finding my typo, hahaha vaccinations on the brain I guess! Its great to know I can now relax and look forward to my flight out June 12, the wedding July 10, and the honeymoon in Vegas on July 11! I can't wait!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:10 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

weeeeeeeeeeeeee

yay you!!

congrats to the both of you

onwards and upwards
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic news James!! I knew it would happen for you two, it was just a matter of time and patience!! Definitely think you should head out for a piss-up! :PARTY: Have one on me!

Jamie
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi all,

Well let me just say first off............... YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE I'M APPROVED!!!!

My god!! It just seems so surreal that i'm finally approved. I've been so used to checking my case status online, looking at my timeline, organising documents, reading and contributing to this and other forums that its all over, or at least phase 1 of this process!

So without further blabbing I will give you my experience. The day started for me at 6am. I was staying at a friends apartment near London Bridge. My Nokia alarm sounded and I jumped out of bed and headed for the bathroom getting showered and ready in record time. I then caught a tube bound for Marble Arch. I then followed the directions off multimap to Dr Phelans stopping only for a diet vanilla coke and donuts at a Sainsburys local. I got to Dr Phelans at 7.20 am and there were already about 6 people waiting in no particular order. At 7.50 on of the guys pressed the buzzer and the lady let him and the rest of us in.

We were told to go through to the waiting room and take a seat. Which we all did, you could really sense the nerves in the room. Everyone was doing last minute checks on there papework. A lady then came through and gave us all a green folder in which to put all of our documents there required: 1 passport photo (uk/u.s. style didn't matter), medical questionnaire, vaccination history (if any) and our passport. I got it all out of my bag and then took it back to her at reception. At this point I asked where the toilet was, I had to see this legendary domain! Its reputation is well earnt, it is by far the lowest roof I’ve ever seen for a bathroom/toilet combo. I'm 6.2 ft and I had real trouble fitting in there.

So I went back up stairs to hear my name being called to reception. I went to reception and paid the lady £125... thank you very much and she gave me back my passport and my green folder and told me to go down stairs and put my folder in the plastic holder and sit in the waiting room. 10 minutes later I entered a small room and a nurse took a blood sample. Back to the waiting room, I was then called through for my chest X-ray. I had to get naked, or at least on the top half which I did. I then had the chest X-ray done, and was told to wait in a cubicle leaving my shirt off until called byy Dr Phelan. He called me through about 10 minutes later said my vaccination history was fine and I didn't need anything else. He also asked if I’d have chickenpox which I replied yes, and he said that was fine. He then took my blood pressure, listened to my chest and told me to undo my pants and get on the couch, at which point I freaked. I conjured up all sorts of odd scenario's involving disposable gloves and cupping, luckily it wasn't the case!! He then told me to get my shirt back on and head to the embassy and my blood test would get there mid morning.

I went with 2 African guys who were both filing for K1's, one was going to California the other to Columbus, Ohio. They lead the way which meant I didn't have to use my nicely printed map and directions! When we got to the embassy we saw the que, and it was massive snaking around 1/2 the perimeter of the embassy. Luckily I'd been told to walk right to the front and show my appointment letter and I wouldn't have to wait. This was the case and after having my bag scanned and going through a metal detector I was in! I went to the front desk and was asked to hand in all electrical equipment, goodbye trustee Nokia. I then headed right at the desk and upstairs to the Immigration visa section, I pressed the button on the door and was buzzed in. I then proceeded to desk "1" and showed the clerk my appointment letter, they took it and asked me to go to the front desk and purchase a £10 courier envelope for the visa and then to take a seat. It was now about 9.30am. I sat next to my African buddies and chatted about Angie and our experiences, and listened to there’s and also got talking to another British guy who i'd seen in the medical. He was a similar age to me and his U.S. fiancée was living with him in London.

While I sat there and watched the extremely crap PowerPoint presentations on video screens with cool U.S. immigration facts like "Fiance(e) visa applications cost $100" I did see one interesting point. They conduct interviews in alphabetical order, so I was blessed with having the surname "Davidson". At around 10am I was called up to desk one and greeted by a skinny geeky looking fellow with glasses and an accent I couldn't place and asked for my passport, birth and police certificates, I-134 affidavit of support and 2 U.S. style passport photographs and photocopies of all documents which I gave him. He then told me to sit back down and my name would be called.

20 minutes later I was called and asked to go to counter 6 by an American guy who squinted a lot and resembled Donald Rumsfield. He scanned both of my index fingers then asked me to sit back down. I remember feeling less nervous the more times I went up, which was a good thing.

At about 11am Donald Rumsfield who I was watching, squinted a few times and called me up, I was sure this was it. I got to the counter and he said "Everything looks in order here, doesn't look like your going to starve". He got me to write Angie's fullname and sign the form, which I think was Ds-156 and then said "Right so how did you meet Angela?". I said we'd met in Australia on vacation in June 2001 explained how we feel in love yada yada. Then he said "Right so you meet in Australia, say goodbye in Sydney airport then what happens"?. I then went on about how we'd kept in contact via phone,email,im etc and that I went out in November to Milwaukee. He then said "Oh so you've been to Milwaukee". "Yep". "Right so has she been to see you in London". Yep she studied/lived here for 6 months from December through May 2003, and has visited me 2 times since then. "Ok so have you met each others parents", "Yep her family love me, my parents live in New Orleans and have met Angie on numerous occasions and really like her". He then said "Right, well everything seems fine here pending you medical, go and sit back down and we'll call you when the medical result arrives around 11am". Back to my seat and plenty of hand shakes from my new best buddies. Then at 11.30am myself and Daniel (the other Brit) were called to the counter 1 by a lady who said "Ok medicals are fine, your visas are approved you'll receive them tomorrow". I expected a congratulations of something, but hey I didn't care after 10 months of waiting, hurting, and agonising over this bloody interview it was over and I was approved, thank you Jesus!

I dashed outside and called Angie, she was sleepy but soon snapped out of it when the news sunk in. So that’s it, I then went off for a celebratory drinks and lunch with Daniel at a nearby pub. So there you have it my painless London K1 interview experience.

Alright i'm off! Time to party.

A very happy James!

I've been rootin for ya from the gittyup! so ROOT ROOT ROOT. Glad you made it thru!. Cheers to a future of sheer bliss.

Smooches
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Great news James ... knew you could do it !!

all the best
Jan
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

Congrats James (and Angie) ... your new life awaits; here's wishing you all the best.

Heather
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

gemmacat will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi all,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!.

Its kinda weird re-living the interview experience through someone else, seeing that I am close to the one year aniversary of my K1 trip to London. I remember the nervous tension like it was yesterday. lol
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

CONGRATULATIONS James!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Congrats!.

Its kinda weird re-living the interview experience through someone else, seeing that I am close to the one year aniversary of my K1 trip to London. I remember the nervous tension like it was yesterday. lol
Congrats,

and pimpbot... that was exactly my feeling reading this... it brought back memories of August 4th last year like it was only yesterday, and that feeling of jubilation ringing my then fiancee to tell her... we have now been married almost 8 months and are loving every minute =)
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 6:23 pm
AOS-LA District Office

mc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi all,

Congratulations James and thanks for sharing your exp!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.