Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Interview Experience :)

Wikiposts

London Interview Experience :)

Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:12 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Interview Experience :)

Originally Posted by Brit_Chippy
I'm going to pay for the quickest service with my visa - whatever the quickest way to get it back to me is! I'm hoping that my visa with me by next Friday, my interview is Tuesday. Does that seem realistic? Do they deliver on weekends?
They do deliver on Saturdays. My fiancees interview was on Thursday and he got a text on Friday asking if he would like Saturday delivery and to call if he did. We didn't call but the courier came to deliver it anyway. We weren't at the house so we called and said we never asked for a delievry Saturdaybut apparently if the courier is in the area they will try and deliver anyway. They didn't give him any special request options but it can't hurt to ask!You have to be home to sign for it by the way.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Brit_Chippy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinbar
They do deliver on Saturdays. My fiancees interview was on Thursday and he got a text on Friday asking if he would like Saturday delivery and to call if he did. We didn't call but the courier came to deliver it anyway. We weren't at the house so we called and said we never asked for a delievry Saturdaybut apparently if the courier is in the area they will try and deliver anyway. They didn't give him any special request options but it can't hurt to ask!You have to be home to sign for it by the way.
Oh that's excellent, thanks for that. I thought i'd probably have to wait to Monday if it hadn't come by Friday but at least Saturday is included also. Do you know the time frame they give you at the Embassey? For example 1-5 days, 2-3 days etc. I'd like to know the longest delivery takes if they say at the embassy that you're approved and the visa will be delivered, i'm wondering what they say the time frame is.

I know they say that you shouldn't take your mobile etc.. but i really don't think i can avoid it. I need to arrange a lift home and obviously you can't tell when untill you're out of the embassy. Where do they put/take your mobile at the embassy if i take it with me?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

They give you a clear plastic bag for your electronic items, you hand them in at security and they give you a collection tag/number to pick it up on your way out.

If all you're handing in is a phone you'll be in the majority.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:17 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancees inteiew was on Thursday. He got approved right away. On Friday afternnoon he got a text saying that his visa would be delivered on Monday between 9-5.It ws delivered at 1. AsI mentioned they said if we wanted to upgrade to a Saturday delivery to call but we were busy that day so we never called for an upgrade. They never gave him a time frame. As I mentioned the courier service told us both on the phone and in person when they delivered that if they will b e in the area they will try anddeliver even though we were not supposed to get the visa untill Monday.They do text you with the delivery date. My fiancee left his phone with me ut you can check it at the embassy. Don't bring any large bags with you. He had quitea few documents but he brought them in a messenger style bag and that was no problem. My fiancee was at the embassy for 3 1/2 hrs. Most of it was waiting!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

mr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nice

re: POE - I had a great experience at Minneapolis St Paul.

Walked up to a separate lane designated "New Immigrants" with no line,while all the visitors queued and spoke to an extremely friendly officer who checked my paperwork, didn't need to see my chest x-ray and then took my fingerprints and had me sign the form that the fingerprints were on (proper ink, not electronic).

He then endorsed my visa, clearly stated when I would need to apply to have the conditions removed and then said "you're all set- Welcome to America".

Didn't have to go to a secondary area or anything, total time taken was less than 5 minutes. To cap it all off, my bags were 2nd out of the baggage claim too :P

Wonderful experience all in all and save for a 1 hour delay on my final flight to Montana, everything went swimmingly!

Now coming up to 1 week in, loving life immensely and thrilled to be back with my amazing wife!

oh and re: what to wear to the interview, I went with a full suit, tie, the works- might have been over the top (very few were formally dressed) but given my positive experience I'd recommend it to any and all who asked!

And finally - Circus Guy, your advice was appreciated - sorry for failing to remember your username earlier!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by mr_bluth
re: POE - I had a great experience at Minneapolis St Paul.

Walked up to a separate lane designated "New Immigrants" with no line,while all the visitors queued and spoke to an extremely friendly officer who checked my paperwork, didn't need to see my chest x-ray and then took my fingerprints and had me sign the form that the fingerprints were on (proper ink, not electronic).

He then endorsed my visa, clearly stated when I would need to apply to have the conditions removed and then said "you're all set- Welcome to America".

Didn't have to go to a secondary area or anything, total time taken was less than 5 minutes. To cap it all off, my bags were 2nd out of the baggage claim too :P

Wonderful experience all in all and save for a 1 hour delay on my final flight to Montana, everything went swimmingly!

Now coming up to 1 week in, loving life immensely and thrilled to be back with my amazing wife!

oh and re: what to wear to the interview, I went with a full suit, tie, the works- might have been over the top (very few were formally dressed) but given my positive experience I'd recommend it to any and all who asked!

And finally - Circus Guy, your advice was appreciated - sorry for failing to remember your username earlier!
Congrats! I hope my fiancees goes as smooth at JFK. He wore a shirt,tie and dress trousers to the interview. I was surprised when I saw so many people lined up outside the embassy in London dressed in jeans and t shirts. I just think if you dress that way it gives the impression you don't really care.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Congrats! I hope my fiancees goes as smooth at JFK. He wore a shirt,tie and dress trousers to the interview. I was surprised when I saw so many people lined up outside the embassy in London dressed in jeans and t shirts. I just think if you dress that way it gives the impression you don't really care.
My interview was today at the US embassy in London! I'm approved! Just waiting for them to deliver my visa - what do we do with the x-ray? take it in our hand luggage to hand in at customs? what else do we need? I have a K3 visa (almost).
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My interview was today at the US embassy in London! I'm approved! Just waiting for them to deliver my visa - what do we do with the x-ray? take it in our hand luggage to hand in at customs? what else do we need? I have a K3 visa (almost).
Wahooo---congratulations!

The instructions are to carry your xray in your hand luggage. All of us dutifully comply. None of us has been asked to present it at entry. (you would hand it in to Immigration, not Customs).

-You need your passport with visa in it.
-You need an I-94 card (you fill it in on the flight & hand it over). Make sure you get 2 years endorsed on the I-94.
-You need your Mysterious Brown Envelope--sealed. It has every paper you've submitted and a few extras. Give it over to the officer at admission.

Happy travels!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:54 am

Hi and Congrats! My fiancee was told to take the xray with his hand luggage! Did they send you text saying when your visa will be delivered! Please make sure you are home to sign for it! Could you please post some details of your interview for others ? It always helps to read about everyones experiences!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
Wahooo---congratulations!

The instructions are to carry your xray in your hand luggage. All of us dutifully comply. None of us has been asked to present it at entry. (you would hand it in to Immigration, not Customs).

-You need your passport with visa in it.
-You need an I-94 card (you fill it in on the flight & hand it over). Make sure you get 2 years endorsed on the I-94.
-You need your Mysterious Brown Envelope--sealed. It has every paper you've submitted and a few extras. Give it over to the officer at admission.

Happy travels!
Does immigration keep all the papers in the envelope or do they hand themback to you?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Does immigration keep all the papers in the envelope or do they hand themback to you?
They keep them, and send them to storage. Then every time the beneficiary files for a new benefit, the records are accessed and used.

You "should" have your own shadow copy of the entire file.

At the final interview, for N-400, we got eyeballs on all those old applications and petitions. There was one I was missing in my home file, so I sent a note in with DH asking to get a copy of it. The officer laughed, but obliged.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
They keep them, and send them to storage. Then every time the beneficiary files for a new benefit, the records are accessed and used.

You "should" have your own shadow copy of the entire file.

At the final interview, for N-400, we got eyeballs on all those old applications and petitions. There was one I was missing in my home file, so I sent a note in with DH asking to get a copy of it. The officer laughed, but obliged.
Thanks!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks!
Well, my interview was for 9.00am at the American Embassy in London. I arrived at the embassy at about 8.20 and joined the fairly long queue outside. I had all my documents with me and well organised, including photos and evidence to support just about anything. I made it to the front of the line at approx 8.50. I had prepared everything and then as i stepped out the car, i grabbed my handbag (as usual without even thinking) and so had then brought me with my keys and phone etc without needing to. You have to pay 10 pounds to leave your phone at the pharmacy across the street, there are no storage facilities on the premises, the pharmacy also takes visa photos for the embassy if you don’t have them. I rushed back over the line where somebody thankfully let me in rather than having to queue up again!

A man then called me over to see my passport and appointment letter, he checks you off on a list. (they couldn't find me immediately which had me worried!). I went through the security checkpoint where the guard commented on my "Dodge" key rings on my keys before letting me through. You then walk around the side of the building and queue again (not quite as long) to get through the doors to reception. Two ladies at the reception desk look at your appointment letter and issue several stickers with your number on (Immigrant Visa Numbers are in the 5000s).

I entered the large waiting area and took a seat. There are screens everywhere showing the windows for different numbers and visa types. They are constantly calling the numbers in the 1000s (those are the non-immigrant visas). There are only a couple of windows dealing with K visas - Immigrant visas. I was called up after about 25 minutes or so, i approached the lady at window 1 who took my passport, marriage certificate, birth certificate, i-134 for my husband and our co-sponsor (father in law). I then signed the DS-156 and DS-230 form. (Might have been one more). Everybody is really friendly and talkative - the lady at the first window was talking to me about Bicester Village shopping centre (near to where I live) the whole time she was processing, so they are very efficient but make you feel relaxed also. She asked me to go to the cashier’s window to pay and bring her back to the receipt - so I did; $131.00 for the processing. The cashiers’ window is around the other side past the waiting area. I returned to the 1st window and presented her with the receipt. I stood there a few more minutes while she processed things and went through a checklist of documents that I had to provide. She asked me about A-Levels and did I want to study anymore when I got over there, etc. She asked me what my current employment was. It wasn’t too bad though because she was really only making conversation and not officially interviewing. She gave me back my x-ray and I took my documents (she kept all of the originals). I was then advised that I should fill out the pink delivery form while I wait for my interview in the same waiting are. The lady told me it wouldn't be too long, but on the pink form it explains that you should allow an hour to 2 hours until you are called for the interview! (Which i thought was a little strange) I was called within about 15 – 20 minutes. The pink delivery form asks for address, name, service etc… It’s not a big deal.

So, they called my number and asked me to go to window 15 (the interview rooms are number 12-20 I think) and are located around the corner with the cashiers desk away from the 1st processing windows. I walked up to the window very very nervous (everybody that's there for fiancée and spouse visas are equally as nervous and organised, they're also the ones that are dressed very smartly). The lady asked how I was and smiled nicely. She asked how long we had been married and saw one of my wedding photos through the clear plastic envelope I had brought the documents in and commented on the "beautiful wedding photo". She then explained that they were satisfied with out financial situation and did not require the employment documentation that I had secured along with the two avidafits of support. She was very very friendly the whole time, and she didn't try to intimidate me at all, just talked to me like she was a friend or something (which was great, but that doesn’t mean you're not nervous). She asked how and when we had met for the first time, I explained in detail and she followed on with "How often have you been able to see each other?" I explained that usually we could visit for about 2 weeks every 6 -8 weeks, she joking replied that she would love a 6 week break from her husband! And said that everything looked great. They took my fingerprints (all of them) and i was told that i was approved and as long as the fingerprint tests came back ok she would issue my visa!!

I was so happy! It was such a relief; she congratulated the both of us and wished me the best of luck for the future. I thanked her (probably about 5 times!) and walked away smiling. I then joined the queue for the delivery of my new visa, paid for a before 10.00am delivery as soon as it's ready and walked out to call my husband. We were both very happy, I’m just now waiting for a text to tell me when it will be delivered, then i can be back with my husband finally, who i miss terribly. It's been a long journey, but with the best possible ending, and I’ll never forget what we've had to go through to be together. But it's worth every last thing.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:07 am

Well, my interview was for 9.00am at the American Embassy in London. I arrived at the embassy at about 8.20 and joined the fairly long queue outside. I had all my documents with me and well organised, including photos and evidence to support just about anything. I made it to the front of the line at approx 8.50. I had prepared everything and then as i stepped out the car, i grabbed my handbag (as usual without even thinking) and so had then brought me with my keys and phone etc without needing to. You have to pay 10 pounds to leave your phone at the pharmacy across the street, there are no storage facilities on the premises, the pharmacy also takes visa photos for the embassy if you don’t have them. I rushed back over the line where somebody thankfully let me in rather than having to queue up again!

A man then called me over to see my passport and appointment letter, he checks you off on a list. (they couldn't find me immediately which had me worried!). I went through the security checkpoint where the guard commented on my "Dodge" key rings on my keys before letting me through. You then walk around the side of the building and queue again (not quite as long) to get through the doors to reception. Two ladies at the reception desk look at your appointment letter and issue several stickers with your number on (Immigrant Visa Numbers are in the 5000s).

I entered the large waiting area and took a seat. There are screens everywhere showing the windows for different numbers and visa types. They are constantly calling the numbers in the 1000s (those are the non-immigrant visas). There are only a couple of windows dealing with K visas - Immigrant visas. I was called up after about 25 minutes or so, i approached the lady at window 1 who took my passport, marriage certificate, birth certificate, i-134 for my husband and our co-sponsor (father in law). I then signed the DS-156 and DS-230 form. (Might have been one more). Everybody is really friendly and talkative - the lady at the first window was talking to me about Bicester Village shopping centre (near to where I live) the whole time she was processing, so they are very efficient but make you feel relaxed also. She asked me to go to the cashier’s window to pay and bring her back to the receipt - so I did; $131.00 for the processing. The cashiers’ window is around the other side past the waiting area. I returned to the 1st window and presented her with the receipt. I stood there a few more minutes while she processed things and went through a checklist of documents that I had to provide. She asked me about A-Levels and did I want to study anymore when I got over there, etc. She asked me what my current employment was. It wasn’t too bad though because she was really only making conversation and not officially interviewing. She gave me back my x-ray and I took my documents (she kept all of the originals). I was then advised that I should fill out the pink delivery form while I wait for my interview in the same waiting are. The lady told me it wouldn't be too long, but on the pink form it explains that you should allow an hour to 2 hours until you are called for the interview! (Which i thought was a little strange) I was called within about 15 – 20 minutes. The pink delivery form asks for address, name, service etc… It’s not a big deal.

So, they called my number and asked me to go to window 15 (the interview rooms are number 12-20 I think) and are located around the corner with the cashiers desk away from the 1st processing windows. I walked up to the window very very nervous (everybody that's there for fiancée and spouse visas are equally as nervous and organised, they're also the ones that are dressed very smartly). The lady asked how I was and smiled nicely. She asked how long we had been married and saw one of my wedding photos through the clear plastic envelope I had brought the documents in and commented on the "beautiful wedding photo". She then explained that they were satisfied with out financial situation and did not require the employment documentation that I had secured along with the two avidafits of support. She was very very friendly the whole time, and she didn't try to intimidate me at all, just talked to me like she was a friend or something (which was great, but that doesn’t mean you're not nervous). She asked how and when we had met for the first time, I explained in detail and she followed on with "How often have you been able to see each other?" I explained that usually we could visit for about 2 weeks every 6 -8 weeks, she joking replied that she would love a 6 week break from her husband! And said that everything looked great. They took my fingerprints (all of them) and i was told that i was approved and as long as the fingerprint tests came back ok she would issue my visa!!

I was so happy! It was such a relief; she congratulated the both of us and wished me the best of luck for the future. I thanked her (probably about 5 times!) and walked away smiling. I then joined the queue for the delivery of my new visa, paid for a before 10.00am delivery as soon as it's ready and walked out to call my husband. We were both very happy, I’m just now waiting for a text to tell me when it will be delivered, then i can be back with my husband finally, who i miss terribly. It's been a long journey, but with the best possible ending, and I’ll never forget what we've had to go through to be together. But it's worth every last thing.
Thabks for the all the details on your interview! It was excellent and I'm sure it will be a big helpto alot of people! Congrats again!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Thabks for the all the details on your interview! It was excellent and I'm sure it will be a big helpto alot of people! Congrats again!
Does anybody know the latest i can expect a text from the couriers to say that it will be delivered the following day? I'm being very obsessive over my phone at the moment, checking it all the time lol. Can somebody tell me when i should give up for the day??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.