Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Interview Experience :)

Wikiposts

London Interview Experience :)

Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Interview Experience :)

Originally Posted by devoted2him3
One question, at the time of this CR1 visa being issued we've been married for just under two years but when we move it'll be 2 years 5 months. Will he still be a conditional permanent resident or will he get the full one straight away?
If he enters the POE and activates his Immigrant Visa *after* your second wedding anniversary, he *should* be admitted as IR-1 (no conditions, 10-year green card right away).

He should watch carefully what they stamp on his passport, and if it's CR-1, he should gently and politely let them know he's been married over 2 years (have marriage certificate handy for proof), and very nicely ask for the IR class instead.

Rene
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

One question, at the time of this CR1 visa being issued we've been married for just under two years but when we move it'll be 2 years 5 months. Will he still be a conditional permanent resident or will he get the full one straight away?
I want to underscore Rene's reply to this.. it is not necessarily automagic, but you want your spouse to be admitted correctly.

If he is not admitted as an IR, you can't go to USCIS to fix it, you have to go back to a CBP office, wherever you can find one and it's no guarantee of success even then.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:21 am
Been there, done that

devoted2him3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for the quick replies! I guess it doesn't matter either way but it'd be nice to not have anymore paperwork!!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for the quick replies! I guess it doesn't matter either way but it'd be nice to not have anymore paperwork!!
It matters $500 worth!

If admitted as a CR-1, his residency has 'conditions' attached to it. This requires filing form I-751 about 2 years after he arrives and sending a boatload of evidence, plus your hard-earned $$$.

If admitted as IR-1, he does nothing for 10 years (and then renews his GC) or applies for naturalization and gets a blue passport instead.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It kind of does matter, if you want to save time and money in 2 years, as meauxna points out.

Definitely worth making sure he gets the right classification upon entry at the POE!

Rene
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:32 pm
Been there, done that

Yikes Better make sure they get it right first time then! Thank you again for your help
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

mr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nice

One further update - I got a call at 7.45am this morning from a friendly courier who then appeared at my door 5 minutes later to hand me the most exciting package I've ever received!

The visa looks amazingly cool and there's also a brochure welcoming me to the USA - love it

And before anyone panics, no I didn't open the manila envelope that comes with it

I fly tomorrow!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

janet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nicejanet82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mr_bluth
Then she verified a few things such as my age, that this is my first marriage and that I've never lived outside of the UK for more than 6 months.
What if you have? I have a police certificate from Bahrain as I lived there for two and a half years and thought that's all I needed. If anyone knows of anything else required, please tell me before July 11th!
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:04 am
Been there, done that

We know exactly how you're feeling Mr Blue! Congratulations! Where are you going to be moving to?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janet82
I have a police certificate from Bahrain as I lived there for two and a half years and thought that's all I needed.
That is all you need... at least, for the time you spent in Bahrain.

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:47 am

What if you have? I have a police certificate from Bahrain as I lived there for two and a half years and thought that's all I needed. If anyone knows of anything else required, please tell me before July 11th!
That's all you need.

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2008, 5:11 am

My guess is, mr_bluth did not have any foreign police certificates when he presented his documents. The worker asked him if he had lived outside his country for 6+ months (if he had, see, he would have needed the police certificate). When he answered 'no', that was the end of the story.

Why do you think you need something else? Freaking out?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

mr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nice

We know exactly how you're feeling Mr Blue! Congratulations! Where are you going to be moving to?
The beautiful surrounds of Montana can't wait, less than 24 hours to go now... I really will shut up about it now though, promise
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by mr_bluth
The beautiful surrounds of Montana can't wait, less than 24 hours to go now... I really will shut up about it now though, promise
I kid you not... google montana weather and look what comes up today.

We're callling it freakin' Juneuary out here.. 6" of freakin' snow HERE last night!

The ski resorts are loving it, but I notice that the Solstice is already here Friday!!!
At least you'll have your love to keep you warm...
(and chop some damn wood for the stove!)
Attached Images  
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere was always June 21st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.