Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Interview Experience :)

Wikiposts

London Interview Experience :)

Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

mr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nice
Talking London Interview Experience :)

Had my I-130/CR-1 Interview this morning so thought I'd share my experience for anyone about to do the same...

Following the good experience of someone else on this board (your name escapes me right now, I apologise!) I travelled to London last night and booked in to a Hotel within easy reach of the embassy. For anyone undecided as to whether or not to do this, let me just say - it took a whole heap of stress off the situation so I fully recommend it!

After checking through the documents I was required to bring for the 20th time that day, I set 5 alarms and requested a wake-up call (not that I was paranoid or anything!) and then proceeded to wake up half an hour before them all, naturally. My appointment was at 9am but with being so convinced something would go wrong with travel, I ended up arriving at the embassy at 7.20am - so had some time to kill! I stood outside for a while watching as others with earlier interviews went in so I could see the process, then went a short distance down a side road to a Starbucks and had some breakfast to pass the time. At 8.15 or so I strolled back to the embassy and the police officer out the front confirmed I was ok to start queueing despite it not being 8.30 yet, so I took my place in line and got my passport & appointment letter ready as you need to present these. I was asked to remove any metallic items and place them in a clear bag they provided, which I then held on to. My keys went in separately as these are not allowed in the embassy.

I queued for about 40 minutes or so, then it was my turn to go to the security podium. They checked my letter and passport then allowed me through to the main security line. I put the bag from earlier and my documents in to a bin provided which was x-rayed, then I walked through a metal detector like at the airport and then collected my possessions/documents, minus my keys which they gave me a tag to collect them after I was done with the interview. Point to note here - all of the staff so far from the helpers outside to the security staff to the various armed police officers were all very, very warm and helpful, very friendly and put you at ease.

I then went in to the embassy building and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist who gave me my number which comes as two barcoded stickers with two smaller corresponding stickers attached. These are important later so it's not just a stub that you use for reference!

I went up some steps, past the courier queue (can see why a lot of people say they nearly join this queue - but remember to just walk on by and take a seat). I then sat and watched screens like they have at Argos with numbers moving along a queue and waiting for the one to say your number to come up with a window to go to. They announce it and it comes on screen, so you have 2 chances to catch it.

After about 45 minutes or so my number was called and I went round to the window. A friendly female staff member (American) asked me how I was doing today and then took my fingerprints, checked through the file in front of her and found that all required documents had been submitted in original to the NVC (god bless my wonderful wife!) and that all she needed from me was my passport, barcoded stickers and 1 photo - which needs to have your name written on the back. Then she verified a few things such as my age, that this is my first marriage and that I've never lived outside of the UK for more than 6 months. Finally she gave me a pink form for the courier service and my chest x-ray from the medical which you keep and have with you in your hand baggage when you fly out to your POE.

I then went and sat down again in the same waiting area and listened for my number again. I was intentionally trying not to look at the time by this point as I hadn't taken anything to occupy myself during downtime so I'm estimating this waiting period to be about 45 mins - 1 hour, then my number was again called and I went up to a window where an American Consular Officer was waiting to speak to me. She was a very welcoming, warm lady who spoke very politely to me and was very kind and while explaining things smiled throughout. I was there with all my documents ready and expecting to be asked lots of questions, however first she took my fingerprints again on one hand to verify them. Then she passed me through a form given to all 18 - 26 year old males (I'm 24) that you need to sign two copies of - one for yourself, one for them - which says you will register for Selective Service (conscription in times of emergency mobilisation of the armed forces) within 90 days of your arrival. Not doing so carries a hefty fine and a jail term and also disqualifies yourself and your family from federal assistance including college loans etc, so it's worth signing

She then asked me to raise my right hand and swear an oath that I have told the complete and honest truth to the best of my knowledge throughout (which involved me saying "I do" only) and she then said... "Everything seems to be in order, enjoy your life with your wife in the US".

My jaw nearly hit the floor, I thanked her (smiling massively as you can imagine) and she wished me well with a smile, I walked away beaming / on the verge of breaking in to manical laughter, and joined the line for the Courier service! Total interview time with the consular officer could not have been more than 1 minute total, no joke...

I then queued for about 20 minutes for the courier (though I was so ecstatic it flew by) and a quick point to note here - they accept cards, so don't worry if you forget to get cash out.

So, now it's just a matter of waiting for the delivery of my passport/visa and then I'm off to the promised land and back with my wife!! I can't actually contain my excitement - it's been terrible being apart from the girl so cannot wait for the day later this week that we are finally reunited

This has been one long excited brain dump so if anything is unclear I apologise and will happily clarify if needed for anyone about to go through the interview.

Thanks for all of you who have helped out with advice over the past few months and here's to navigating the POE!!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:52 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Interview Experience :)

Great post!! lots of information thats put my mind at rest

Just a quick question, how long was it between you filing your I864 and getting your interview date? - I mean the date you found out when your medical and interview were?
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hearty Congratulations!!!

Rene
p.s. - not registering for selective service can also have negative consequences when it comes time for you to apply for US citizenship.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr_bluth
This has been one long excited brain dump
!!!!!
And what a great one! Super interview report.. you have made a lot of people's day, I'll bet.
Congratulations on your successful outcome and thanks for the tips for others!

Here's your head start on the POE stuff (xray probably not required in your carry on, FWIW).
Arriving In America: Navigating the POE

Welcome to America!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

mr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nicemr_bluth is just really nice

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Great post!! lots of information thats put my mind at rest

Just a quick question, how long was it between you filing your I864 and getting your interview date? - I mean the date you found out when your medical and interview were?
We submitted our I864 in mid-April and I found out my interview&medical date about a month later I believe. It seemed quite quick between the two, certainly.

Glad the information was of use to you
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:52 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

We submitted our I864 in mid-April and I found out my interview&medical date about a month later I believe. It seemed quite quick between the two, certainly.

Many congratulations!! I really enjoyed reading your post..

How long have you been apart?
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anabella
Many congratulations!! I really enjoyed reading your post..

How long have you been apart?
6 Months - not as much as some people but 5 months, 29 days, 23 hours and 59 seconds too long for me
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:29 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great! Maybe I'll be there for thanksgiving after all! we've just sent our I864's to our immigration lawyer today and she said she'd get them off by next week.... So I'll wait with bated breath!

Congratulations btw
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hearty Congratulations!!!

Rene
p.s. - not registering for selective service can also have negative consequences when it comes time for you to apply for US citizenship.
Thanks, and this is something else noted on the form I should have mentioned yes - Citizenship is affected if you refuse to register.

Putting it in to context as well, as a British Citizen I would be conscripted in the event of a return of conscription too - so no difference there really, as I explained to my family earlier!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:31 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

6 Months - not as much as some people but 5 months, 29 days, 23 hours and 59 seconds too long for me
I've been there (6 months too), I know how it is..

All the best on the other side on the pond..
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Sounds great! Maybe I'll be there for thanksgiving after all! we've just sent our I864's to our immigration lawyer today and she said she'd get them off by next week.... So I'll wait with bated breath!

Congratulations btw
Thanks, and good luck for your case

One further point- it really surprised me how many people didn't follow instructions. Big letters on the front of the interview info document - DO NOT BRING PHONES,PDAs,iPods,etc - and yet the line in front of me was full of people checking these in to be collected later.

I know it's only a small point but this sort of thing is one of the most important things you'll ever do, surely people can find it within themselves to follow instructions!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, and good luck for your case

One further point- it really surprised me how many people didn't follow instructions. Big letters on the front of the interview info document - DO NOT BRING PHONES,PDAs,iPods,etc - and yet the line in front of me was full of people checking these in to be collected later.

I know it's only a small point but this sort of thing is one of the most important things you'll ever do, surely people can find it within themselves to follow instructions!
Those are the people who think they have a 'special relationship' with the US.

And they're not 'people', they're 'British People'.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
And they're not 'people', they're 'British People'.
Good point - I won't miss the prevalent attitude around these parts after I go, that's for sure!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:20 am

Good point - I won't miss the prevalent attitude around these parts after I go, that's for sure!
heheh.. I hear tell it's much worse over on this side.

meh, depends on the person, actually. For my DH, his bread lands butter side up, kwim?
Happy Travels, and all successes to you!

PS: bring Marmite if you are addicted; I always warn about it. The teeny jar is +$5 *if* you can find it (and care).
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:36 am
Been there, done that

devoted2him3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! That's awesome news! We haven't got around to submitting our experience of the interview at the London Embassy but it was very similar to what's been written here. We got the passport back with the visa in it about a week ago and are busy making preparations to move in November. My husband is 27, glad he doesn't have to register for that "Selective Service"!

One question, at the time of this CR1 visa being issued we've been married for just under two years but when we move it'll be 2 years 5 months. Will he still be a conditional permanent resident or will he get the full one straight away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.