Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London DCF CR1/IR1 affidavit of support questions (and others....)

London DCF CR1/IR1 affidavit of support questions (and others....)

Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

lgd500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question London DCF CR1/IR1 affidavit of support questions (and others....)

Hi all - I've read this forum a lot in the last year but the time has finally come for me to ask a few questions!

Me (UKC) and my wife (USC) are currently going through the DCF process in London. We have got to the point below and I have a few questions that I can't quite find the answer to. Our progress so far:
  • I-130 sent to US Embassy in London
  • Email confirmation of petition filed
  • I-130 approval received in post
  • LND number received in post
  • DS-260 submitted online
I think I am at the point of booking the medical and interview but realise I need to get the following sorted beforehand document-wise:
  • ACRO certificate
  • Medical records
  • Copies of birth and marriage
The few questions I have are:
  1. Do I need to get copies of my wife's (UCS) birth certificate?
  2. I am unsure about the affidavit of support. We are both currently living in the UK so don't have any US income. When we move back to the US we will be moving in with her parents in the short term whilst we sort out employment etc. in the US. Do we need to get a joint sponsor here?
  3. The process has currently progressed a lot quicker than we thought. We are planning to move back to the US in March next year. If we get this sorted by October when we have a trip to the US and I use the CR-1 visa then, will I have issues leaving a week later and then not returning until March?
  4. If I can't do the above, can I now pause the process until a little later in the year? For example, just don't organise the medical and interview until later or do I have a time limit to get it all sorted?
Thanks for all your help!
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London DCF CR1/IR1 affidavit of support questions (and others....)

1. I don't think so. You can use her US passport as proof of US citizenship.

2. Either a joint sponsor or your own assets, if you have enough. Keep in mind your wife still has to complete an I-864 even with a joint sponsor. If she's been working in the UK, make sure she has filed at least the most recent 3 years of tax returns... you'll need copies of those.

3. That should be fine. Try not to stay outside the USA longer than 6 months, as it can raise questions at the POE.

4. Yes, you can hold off on the medical and interview if you like.

Rene
Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:23 am
Just Joined

lgd500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your rapid reply Rene!

I have just one follow up question regarding the affidavit of support. Can we use savings here in place of income? I have read this is ok but it seems unclear as to the amount required.

They are in my wife’s US savings account and will meet the 125% federal poverty level number for a household of 2

Where I’m confused is that some information states that for assets the total asset value (savings account balance in our case) needs to be higher (3x and above?)

Another question I have is on the proving domicile requirements. My wife and I will have been living in the UK for 2 years before we move and I’m not sure how we prove this. She has a couple Us bank accounts (checking and savings), a US phone number still but no address or anything. I assume the London DCF route sees this situation all the time but I’d like to make sure we’re prepared!

Thabks again, I feel like we’re on the home stretch now!
Old Jun 5th 2018, 2:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, assets must equal 3x the amount needed in income.

Intent to domicile, anything that shows cutting ties to the UK and establishing ties in the USA. This evidence is rarely asked for anyway.

Rene