Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Letter of readiness question

Letter of readiness question

Old Nov 12th 2012, 1:46 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough
Default Letter of readiness question

Hi all

A quick question. How long can you sit on the applicant letter of readiness for an interview for? Say if I completed my medical in june of next year would I be able to wait until September before I confirm my readiness for an interview?

Am I right in thinking that the only thing I need to be mindful of is the 6 month period after the medical?

Many thanks
Old Nov 12th 2012, 2:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letter of readiness question

Originally Posted by GarethB789
Hi all

A quick question. How long can you sit on the applicant letter of readiness for an interview for? Say if I completed my medical in june of next year would I be able to wait until September before I confirm my readiness for an interview?

Am I right in thinking that the only thing I need to be mindful of is the 6 month period after the medical?

Many thanks
What visa are you applying for?

In general, you can delay (drag out) the steps towards getting the interview date, just keep in touch with the embassy to let them know you are not abandoning the case, but are faced with some delays.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2012, 2:23 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

Sorry I will be applying for CR-1.

Basically my concern is that if I do not drag the process out slightly there is a good possibility that I will have the Visa in hand (if all goes well) just before a friends wedding in the states which will have nothing to do with my immigration. I would much prefer my first visit to the states after I receive my Visa to be to the destitution I am going to move to.

I know some people have travelled on the VWP when they have the CR1 visa in their passport but I really do not want to risk it.

I would not mind activating my Visa when travelling to this wedding and then head back to the UK for a couple of months and then move to the states but I was under the impression that once you have entered the states and activated your Visa it is advisable not to travel outside of the states for a while?

Thanks again
Old Nov 12th 2012, 2:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily true. Like many other aspects of immigration, it's situation specific.

I think you should schedule you medical to coincide with when you plan to submit your DS-2001.

You haven't mentioned when your wife submitted, or intends to submit, her I-130. She is living with you in the UK and will submit it to the USCIS field office in London?

Regards, JEff

I was under the impression that once you have entered the states and activated your Visa it is advisable not to travel outside of the states for a while?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:27 pm
2+2=5

Thank you for your reply.

We are getting married early next month in the states and my to be wife is going to file the petition from the states to the London office.

My friends wedding is in Neveda in May. I am his best man so I simply have to go. A friend of mine has recently completed the whole CR-1 process (visa is in hand) and it took him two days under 5 months. I know every case is different but using this as an example I would be looking at an interview in May which could mean I would have to travel to the wedding when the visa is in my passport.

I think you're right. Its best to hold the medical rather than the interview in light of the 6 month period in which the visa has to be used after the medical.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:44 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

She qualifies to do that?

You really do need to give a more in-depth description of your situation than you have thus far if you want to get any feedback that may be userful rather than potentially inappropriate.

Regards, JEff

We are getting married early next month in the states and my to be wife is going to file the petition from the states to the London office.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Where does your wife actually live? The USC can't file the I-130 to London unless the USC has been living in the UK for 6+ months (and still lives in the UK and can prove it).

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:53 pm
2+2=5

She is a USC and we are getting married next month when I visit her in the states and she is going to file the petition from there to get the CR-1 visa process started.

I was under the impression that it doesnt matter where in the world my usc wife files the petition, I will still go through all the processes at the London Embassy as I am a UKC. Is that not the case?

All I wanted to know was at what stages of the CR-1 process is it possible to stall the proceedings and I know that now.

Many thanks
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:55 pm
2+2=5

Sorry I posted that before I saw your post Rene. Apologies if I am not using the correct terminology. When I saw file to London I just mean that is where I am going to do my part of the process.

She lives in CA.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:56 pm

She is a USC and we are getting married next month when I visit her in the states and she is going to file the petition from there to get the CR-1 visa process started.
OK, so she lives in the USA. So she won't be filing the I-130 to London.

I was under the impression that it doesnt matter where in the world my usc wife files the petition, I will still go through all the processes at the London Embassy as I am a UKC. Is that not the case?
Yes, that is the case. YOU will still apply for your immigrant visa in London. But where the I-130 can be filed depends on where the USC lives. In this case, it will be filed in the USA (not in London as you previously said).

All I wanted to know was at what stages of the CR-1 process is it possible to stall the proceedings and I know that now.
Yes. Sorry for asking other questions, but we care and we wanted to make sure you're doing it correctly from the beginning.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:56 pm

Sorry I posted that before I saw your post Rene. Apologies if I am not using the correct terminology. When I saw file to London I just mean that is where I am going to do my part of the process.

She lives in CA.
Understood now, thanks

Good luck, keep us posted!

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I think you should schedule you medical to coincide with when you plan to submit your DS-2001.
I agree.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2012, 3:59 pm

Where she can, or must, file her petition depends on where she lives. Since she lives in the USA she will file her petition to the USCIS in the USA, not to USCIS in London.
I don't know what you mean by "all the processes", but you will be interviewed by the consular section in London. Since your wife lives in the USA you will submit your visa application to the National Visa Center in New Hampshire.
I was under the impression that it doesnt matter where in the world my usc wife files the petition,

I will still go through all the processes at the London Embassy as I am a UKC. Is that not the case?
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Nov 12th 2012 at 4:03 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 4:03 pm
2+2=5

Thanks guys

Just checked and she files the petition to the Arizona Lock Box.

I will make sure I phrase my q's more in the future.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 5:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I would not mind activating my Visa when travelling to this wedding and then head back to the UK for a couple of months and then move to the states but I was under the impression that once you have entered the states and activated your Visa it is advisable not to travel outside of the states for a while?

Thanks again
There is no problem doing that. Some people have come in one day and gone back to the UK the next. As long as you have a US address (your wifes') to which the Green Card can be posted. Once you enter and the visa is stamped it becomes a de facto green card valid for one year. Your wife must be in the US, or with you, if you enter intending to use the visa to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.