Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Lawful Permanent Resident number !

Wikiposts

Lawful Permanent Resident number !

Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of
Default Lawful Permanent Resident number !

Hi All

I move on Tuesday !! very exciting

Work have asked for a LPR number beginning with A ....

Do I get this at POE? I have checked my CR1 visa and I dont have a number beginning with A?

Thanks as always

Paul
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lawful Permanent Resident number !

Originally Posted by tilz
Hi All

Do I get this at POE? I have checked my CR1 visa and I dont have a number beginning with A?

Thanks as always

Paul
That's an Alien Registration Number, or A-number. It's not an "LPR number". If it's not on your CR-1 visa, try checking some of the paperwork that was received from USCIS or NVC - sometimes the I-130 approval will have your A-number on it. Did you receive your Welcome To America letter yet after your arrival? That should have your A-number on it as well. I assume you haven't yet received your plastic green card in the mail yet, either...your A-number will be on that for sure.

However, I'm not sure why your employer is asking you for this. They don't need it for anything. They only have to comply with the I-9 requirements. Google "I-9 Employment Verification Form" to see what they will need from you to get hired.

Rene
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks as always

Paul
It certainly appeared on my IR-1 visa, although as I'm currently on a train about to enter the Park Avenue tunnel in Manhattan, I don't have my passport to hand to tell you where. However it should also be on the data sheet stapled to your Mysterious Brown (or White) Envelope and if memory serves was more obvious there.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

Many thanks Rene/Roy I found the number on the envelope as you said...

you're right they want it for the I9 form I am not in the USA yet so haven't got any of the permanent residence stuff yet , thanks again
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Rene/Roy I found the number on the envelope as you said...

you're right they want it for the I9 form I am not in the USA yet so haven't got any of the permanent residence stuff yet , thanks again
They should not be asking you for this information ahead of time. On the day you show up for your first day of work, you should bring in your passport that has the endorsement on the visa (you'll receive at the POE). At that time, your employer should hand you an I-9 to fill out. YOU fill out the top portion and check the box saying you're an LPR and YOU fill out your A-number.

Then you give it back to the HR rep who looks at your original passport with endorsed visa, she writes down what she needs on the bottom part of the form (Column A), and then turns it in.

Personally, I wouldn't give them your A-number until you show up for work on Day 1. Edit to add: I suppose if they've emailed you the I-9 to fill out ahead of time, that would be OK...then you are filling out the top portion yourself and bringing it in your first day of work.

Here's a link to the I-9:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 16th 2011 at 5:54 am.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys :-) much appreciated
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

lorenei is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I assume you haven't yet received your plastic green card in the mail yet, either...your A-number will be on that for sure.
How long does it usually take to get your plastic green card after you enter USA on a CR-1 visa?

I'll be travelling on the 23rd of Novermber, flying through Dallas - my hubby's dad lives there and we wanted to spend Thanksgiving with him and then drive to Colorado which will be our permanent residence together.

Also would I be able to travel by plane within USA until I get my green card (if it takes more than 3 weeks)? Hubby's mom invited us to spend Christmas with her in MA, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fly there with just my UK passport and a CR-1 visa in it
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by lorenei
How long does it usually take to get your plastic green card after you enter USA on a CR-1 visa?

I'll be travelling on the 23rd of Novermber, flying through Dallas - my hubby's dad lives there and we wanted to spend Thanksgiving with him and then drive to Colorado which will be our permanent residence together.

Also would I be able to travel by plane within USA until I get my green card (if it takes more than 3 weeks)? Hubby's mom invited us to spend Christmas with her in MA, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fly there with just my UK passport and a CR-1 visa in it
Usually takes about a month or so...maybe up to 6 weeks. If you don't get it after 6 weeks, you should check on the status.

In the meantime, you are a PR and have proof of such in your passport (the I-551 endorsement).

Yes, you are OK to fly with your passport and CR-1 visa which has the I-551 endorsement.

Rene
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Usually takes about a month or so...maybe up to 6 weeks. If you don't get it after 6 weeks, you should check on the status.

In the meantime, you are a PR and have proof of such in your passport (the I-551 endorsement).

Yes, you are OK to fly with your passport and CR-1 visa which has the I-551 endorsement.

Rene
That's great thanks

I also put down a PO box address on the DS-230 Part I form where it asks for the address I'd like my Green Card mailed to, as the town where my hubby lives doesn't have mail delivery, only PO Boxes, so I hope that won't be an issue The Embassy didn't say anything about it.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 4:55 am

That's great thanks

I also put down a PO box address on the DS-230 Part I form where it asks for the address I'd like my Green Card mailed to, as the town where my hubby lives doesn't have mail delivery, only PO Boxes, so I hope that won't be an issue The Embassy didn't say anything about it.
It shouldn't be an issue.

Rene
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, Mike is flying in on the 23rd as well! Into Tampa though Hope you got as good a deal as we did on our flight 398 quid

Safe travels!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I also put down a PO box address on the DS-230 Part I form where it asks for the address I'd like my Green Card mailed to, as the town where my hubby lives doesn't have mail delivery, only PO Boxes...
I used to live in a small town like that. Even though I had a PO Box, I generally put RR2 (Rural Route 2) and the PO Box on any government stuff... just to be sure it got delivered.

I suggest you find out the non-PO Box address where your husband lives and update your info with the officer when you enter the US.

Ian
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I used to live in a small town like that. Even though I had a PO Box, I generally put RR2 (Rural Route 2) and the PO Box on any government stuff... just to be sure it got delivered.

I suggest you find out the non-PO Box address where your husband lives and update your info with the officer when you enter the US.

Ian
On the DS-230 form I put down my hubby's physical address under the question "Permanent address in USA where you intend to live" and the PO box address in the question next to it which asks where I would like my Green Card mailed to. I've never lived in a place where mail doesn't get delivered to the physical address before so I'm not sure how it all works

Originally Posted by mikechristina
Hey, Mike is flying in on the 23rd as well! Into Tampa though Hope you got as good a deal as we did on our flight 398 quid

Safe travels!
Brilliant! I hope we'll be able to find something cheap as well, I got a text from DX Secure saying that my passport will be delievered tomorrow, so we'll book my ticket then So excited!!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant! I hope we'll be able to find something cheap as well, I got a text from DX Secure saying that my passport will be delievered tomorrow, so we'll book my ticket then So excited!!
Make sure someone is home to receive the package and that they/you have picture identification to show them of you i.e. your driving license

We booked a round trip much cheaper than one way for some crazy reason! Why delay booking, your passport will arrive on time!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mikechristina
Why delay booking, your passport will arrive on time!
It's best not to advise booking a ticket until the visa is in hand. Why? Because you never know if it will arrive in time (even though you seem to think it will...lol).

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.