Reload this Page >

Latest on the K-2 age out saga

Latest on the K-2 age out saga

Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

lovenlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Latest on the K-2 age out saga

Originally Posted by Rete
I do not see that written anywhere in your cut and paste job.
Don't see what that the K-2 has to meet the definition of a stepchild? Your right because there is nothing that says that. With other IR Immigrant petitions this would be the case, to be considered an IR the relationship to the USC would have to be established prior to the "child’s" 18th B-day, but not in the case with a nonimmigrant K-2, they derive benefit up to the age of 21 as derivative beneficiary of the K-1 parent.

Last edited by lovenlife; Oct 14th 2005 at 1:48 am.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

istoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the roughistoleabloke is a jewel in the rough

David's son was 19 when he received his K-2 visa last year...the I-129F specifically states that the child must be under 21, not 18. We had to go the K-1/K-2 route, because his son would not have been able to move to the US had David and I married in the UK, because I wouldn't have been able to submit an I-130 since the stepparent/stepchild relationship wasn't established before he was 18 (and the I-130 states that restriction).

We were concerned about the age-out issue since his son will be 21 in January, but have fortunately had the AOS interviews and green cards received in August.

Best of luck to you straightening this mess out. I have followed your story on another forum and keep hoping to see good news.

Originally Posted by lovenlife
Don't see what that the K-2 has to meet the definition of a stepchild? Your right because there is nothing that says that. With other IR Immigrant petitions this would be the case, to be considered an IR the relationship to the USC would have to be established prior to the "child’s" 18th B-day, but not in the case with a nonimmigrant K-2, they derive benefit up to the age of 21 as derivative beneficiary of the K-1 parent.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by istoleabloke
David's son was 19 when he received his K-2 visa last year...the I-129F specifically states that the child must be under 21, not 18. We had to go the K-1/K-2 route, because his son would not have been able to move to the US had David and I married in the UK, because I wouldn't have been able to submit an I-130 since the stepparent/stepchild relationship wasn't established before he was 18 (and the I-130 states that restriction).

We were concerned about the age-out issue since his son will be 21 in January, but have fortunately had the AOS interviews and green cards received in August.

Best of luck to you straightening this mess out. I have followed your story on another forum and keep hoping to see good news.

Thanks istoleabloke, we hope to hear some good news to.

Our lawyer and another lawyer have a meeting with a senior adjudicator on Tuesday this week at the Washington DC district office in Fairfax VA. The USCIS asked to have this meeting between the 2 lawyers, both having similar cases, ours which is still pending, and one in which the K-2 was denied, because of them turning 21 whilst their I-485’s were pending USCIS adjudication interviews.

<fingers crossed>
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:06 am
Just Joined

spmalone is an unknown quantity at this point

Our lawyer and another lawyer have a meeting with a senior adjudicator on Tuesday this week at the Washington DC district office in Fairfax VA. The USCIS asked to have this meeting between the 2 lawyers, both having similar cases, ours which is still pending, and one in which the K-2 was denied, because of them turning 21 whilst their I-485’s were pending USCIS adjudication interviews.

<fingers crossed>
My prayers and hope is with both of you. I just do not understand why it has to be so hard. When all I see is good people doing their very best to do it the right way.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

<fingers crossed>
Hey Curtis:

Keeping my fingers crossed too. If it works, you owe me.

Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hey Curtis:

Keeping my fingers crossed too. If it works, you owe me.

Good luck.
Thanks all, here is the latest scoop...........................

The Adjudicator and all the Supervisors there snubbed my lawyer and the other counsel on the meeting that was scheduled. The attorneys went to see the Adjudicator after they verified the meeting place and time, and when they arrived they were told that she wasn’t available. They then asked to see a supervisor. They waited some 30 minutes or more, and no one showed. They are going to try to setup another meeting in the near future.

Great, the USCIS is killing me…………………….
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:18 am
Just Joined

spmalone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, here is the latest scoop...........................

The Adjudicator and all the Supervisors there snubbed my lawyer and the other counsel on the meeting that was scheduled. The attorneys went to see the Adjudicator after they verified the meeting place and time, and when they arrived they were told that she wasn’t available. They then asked to see a supervisor. They waited some 30 minutes or more, and no one showed. They are going to try to setup another meeting in the near future.

Great, the USCIS is killing me…………………….
I just can not believe it!!!!!!!!!!!! You would think we were very bad people, not USC trying to do the right thing. It is just simply wrong.