Reload this Page >

Knightsbridge Doctors & Autism

Knightsbridge Doctors & Autism

Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Knightsbridge Doctors & Autism

Hi.

So this is my first post here. I've been trying to look for answers on this before signing up, but I can't find any, so I will go ahead and ask my question.

As the title suggests, I have been for my Knightsbridge Doctor appointment and I did admit that when I was 14, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome which is part of the autistic spectrum. I told the doctor that I feel it doesn't affect me, despite it being on my medical record, as I have a job (I'm a personal trainer, so it's a highly sociable role which should be beyond me) and am highly functioning and competent. The doctor was a nice a guy; he said I didn't need to disclose it to him, but it's probably best I did and that he's going to need a letter from my GP before they can forward my results on to the US Embassy. I saw my GP today who said she would write a letter confirming that despite a diagnosis, I am high functioning (in other words, I live my life without help and function just like everybody else) which I'll pick up when it's done, either tomorrow evening or Monday, to scan and e-mail to them.

I guess in writing this, I'm just looking for some reassurance that everything will be okay? I've read that autism can be grounds for denial of a visa, but the fact of the matter is that I have a job, I've been married and my wife and I lived together in our own place here before she moved back to America and the Knightsbridge Doctor seemed happy with how I was around him. Do you guys think I will be okay? I really want to be with my wife again, as I'm sure all of you here can appreciate. I've had to move back in with my parents to afford all the expenses and TBH, that's killing me too.

Thanks in advance for any responses that I receive.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knightsbridge Doctors & Autism

Originally Posted by M4r7y
I'm just looking for some reassurance that everything will be okay?
Unless you are contagious or pose a threat to yourself or others, it's unlikely that your visa will be denied. By and large, US immigration has no interest so long as your medical condition is non-threatening. Getting a letter from your GP is a good idea and it's highly unlikely this will be an issue for you.

I've read that autism can be grounds for denial of a visa...
In your search, did you come across any stories where a visa wasn't denied because of autism? You probably did, but I'm going to guess that you ignored those in favor of the ones that seemed to confirm what you already feared. It's very common and people seem to do that... but I've no idea why!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 17th 2016 at 7:24 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In your search, did you come across any stories where a visa wasn't denied because of autism? You probably did, but I'm going to guess that you ignored those in favor of the ones that seemed to confirm what you already feared. It's very common and people seem to do that... but I've no idea why!

Ian
First of all, thanks for your reassurance. In terms of what I've read about autism impacting visa applications, etc. the only thing I've really read was a website about the medical exam and what to expect, etc. where it stated that disabilities and mental conditions can make someone ineligible, but that was the only thing I found. In terms of people with autism being accepted, and it not being a factor, I never really found anything myself. If I did, I probably wouldn't have asked here. But as I'm also sure you can appreciate, when you're dealing with being separated from your s/o or your family, little things can play tricks on your mind. Either way, I thank you for your response and your reassurance.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M4r7y
... it stated that disabilities and mental conditions can make someone ineligible, but that was the only thing I found.
Generally, if the Knightsbridge doctor asks for a letter from your GP he's pretty much covering his own ass... and it's likely not much to do with you at all. He just doesn't want US immigration coming back to him about this. Many people with various conditions are asked to get a GP's letter (because the GP is usually more familiar with the person and the condition) and once obtained, there's no problem getting the visa.

Bottom line - once you give the GP's letter to the doctor, things will likely be smooth sailing.

Ian
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot for your insight. You've made me feel better about it.