Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K4 Question - SSN and A#

Wikiposts

K4 Question - SSN and A#

Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:52 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default K4 Question - SSN and A#

I am applying for a SSN for my son. He is 8 years old and he arrived with me on a K4 visa.

I have looked at threads on here referring to both options; applying for an ITIN or applying for an EAD and then a SSN. We have decided to go ahead and do the EAD and then SSN.

When filling out the EAD question 10 asks for either A-number or I-94 number.

I've looked at his visa and it appears he does not have an A number. I do, mine is handwritten on my visa.

I know I can use his I-94 for the EAD but I hadn't noticed the lack of A number before and don't remember anything mentioned on here.

My question is, is it usual for a K4 minor to have an A number?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:58 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K4 Question - SSN and A#

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I am applying for a SSN for my son. He is 8 years old and he arrived with me on a K4 visa.

Thanks in advance.
I would think it is unusual for an 8-year old to have an EAD!

Good Luck!
Marnee
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:05 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
I would think it is unusual for an 8-year old to have an EAD!

Good Luck!
Marnee
Thanks for the good luck wishes.

I did a search on here before I posted my question as i was unsure as to how I would go about getting a SSN for my son.

One of the threads I found was quite clear as to the process.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162094

I just found it difficult to answer my question about A numbers. To search for 'A number' turns up every post with the letter 'A' in it. I was hoping someone here would be able to advise me.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

I did a search on here before I posted my question as i was unsure as to how I would go about getting a SSN for my son.

One of the threads I found was quite clear as to the process.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162094

I just found it difficult to answer my question about A numbers. To search for 'A number' turns up every post with the letter 'A' in it. I was hoping someone here would be able to advise me.
The A# should be on your Notice of Action.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:25 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
The A# should be on your Notice of Action.
Thank you for your response. I was little confused as i have both of our NOA's here and they do NOT have our A#'s on them.

I've found some example forms on visajourney.com and our NOA's are like this one, with no A# appearing:

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/I-129F-NOAs/NOA1

They do have another example that shows the A number marked next to the beneficiarys name.

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/I-129F-NOAs/NOA2

I'm still confused and without an A#.

Does anyone know why the A# was not written on his visa like mine was. Is this usual?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your response. I was little confused as i have both of our NOA's here and they do NOT have our A#'s on them.

I've found some example forms on visajourney.com and our NOA's are like this one, with no A# appearing:

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/I-129F-NOAs/NOA1

They do have another example that shows the A number marked next to the beneficiarys name.

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/I-129F-NOAs/NOA2

I'm still confused and without an A#.

Does anyone know why the A# was not written on his visa like mine was. Is this usual?
You should be examining the 2nd NOA you received.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Leave it blank with only a ~dash~ in that area. He doesn't have an A# but one will be assigned to him by the CIS when he gets his EAD. Include a copy of the I-94 with the I-765. If memory serves me from doing Jim's over the years, a copy of the I-94 is required.

You should not have a problem.

Rete

I have looked at threads on here referring to both options; applying for an ITIN or applying for an EAD and then a SSN. We have decided to go ahead and do the EAD and then SSN.

I've looked at his visa and it appears he does not have an A number. I do, mine is handwritten on my visa.

I know I can use his I-94 for the EAD but I hadn't noticed the lack of A number before and don't remember anything mentioned on here.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
You should be examining the 2nd NOA you received.

Unfortunately, there have been people over the years who have reported that the A# for the beneficiary is NOT included on either the first or second NOA. So CB, don't sweat it. Send the EAD in without it. Your son will be assigned one in due course.

Rete
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:18 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Rete
Unfortunately, there have been people over the years who have reported that the A# for the beneficiary is NOT included on either the first or second NOA. So CB, don't sweat it. Send the EAD in without it. Your son will be assigned one in due course.

Rete
Phew! Thanks for that post Rete, really appreciated.

Can you tell the visa anxieties are coming back? Haven't filled in an immigration form since we got here in January. I'd forgotten how anxiety inducing it was. I've been putting off AOS for precisely that reason.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 12:18 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We didn't have an A number for me or my K4 son and I just put the I-94 numbers on the applications. We had no problems at all.

Maggie

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:19 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi

We didn't have an A number for me or my K4 son and I just put the I-94 numbers on the applications. We had no problems at all.

Maggie
Thanks for the response Maggie.

Does anyone know why this is?
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:40 am
Concierge

Thanks for the response Maggie.

Does anyone know why this is?
Why what is? That your son didn't get an A#? Normally K-2 and K-3's are given numbers by the agent at the POE and it is often overlooked. A gentle reminder to the agent usually gets that taken care of. But it is not a problem for either K visaholder. One will be issued by the CIS at the time of the AOS and/or when an EAD or A/P is applied for and issued.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:09 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Hey California bride.. well wife now

You got the answer you were looking for but I just wanna say that's great to see you here, I have missed your posts!!
Have a nice weekend!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 5:51 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Hey California bride.. well wife now

You got the answer you were looking for but I just wanna say that's great to see you here, I have missed your posts!!
Have a nice weekend!
Hi Tweeky

Thanks. Hope you're having a great weekend too.

I've kind of been out of the immigration thing for a while. Haven't done a thing since we arrived. Just decided to start the ball rolling again. Starting with the relatively easy stuff, EAD and SSN. We're doing that ourselves this time.

Then it's on to AOS. AAArrgh! Think we'll use our attorney again for that.

How's it going with you?

Oh, and yes, you noticed CaliforniaBride is CaliforniaWife now Time goes by so quickly!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 5:53 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Rete
Why what is? That your son didn't get an A#? Normally K-2 and K-3's are given numbers by the agent at the POE and it is often overlooked. A gentle reminder to the agent usually gets that taken care of. But it is not a problem for either K visaholder. One will be issued by the CIS at the time of the AOS and/or when an EAD or A/P is applied for and issued.
Yes, thanks Rete. I wish I had realised at the time. Glad to know it's not a problem though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.