Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K3'er filed for EAD and heard nothing

K3'er filed for EAD and heard nothing

Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

jjrimell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K3'er filed for EAD and heard nothing

We mailed our EAD to the "a9" Chicago PO box and have so far heard nothing. No receipt or anything. We are not too worred atm because the holiday season could have slowed everything down. I just wonder if anyone else, who recently filed, has heard anything yet?

Does anyone know if the Chicago office took the whole xmas week off or something?
Old Jan 5th 2004, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: K3'er filed for EAD and heard nothing

Originally posted by jjrimell
We mailed our EAD to the "a9" Chicago PO box and have so far heard nothing. No receipt or anything. We are not too worred atm because the holiday season could have slowed everything down. I just wonder if anyone else, who recently filed, has heard anything yet?

Does anyone know if the Chicago office took the whole xmas week off or something?
Ooops. should have mentioned that we mailed the EAD forms on Dec 20th 2003.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 5:41 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

You only sent 65.00??? I sent 120.00 for my husband's EAD and that's the amount so stated on the form on the website, I just checked. Hmmmmmmmmmm .
Anyway, you could well get it kicked back due to that. Normally to see how things are progressing you check and see if they have cashed your check, which means they have opened the envelope. Holiday hours meant shorter work weeks and people taking vacation so that would slow things down.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cindyabs
You only sent 65.00??? I sent 120.00 for my husband's EAD and that's the amount so stated on the form on the website, I just checked. Hmmmmmmmmmm .
Anyway, you could well get it kicked back due to that. Normally to see how things are progressing you check and see if they have cashed your check, which means they have opened the envelope. Holiday hours meant shorter work weeks and people taking vacation so that would slow things down.
Think you are reading his timeline incorrect. While sequentially correct timewise, a bit convoluted when trying to piece it together ;-) Believe he means the $65 check was for the NVC fee to process his affidavit of support for the I-130.

Rete
Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
Think you are reading his timeline incorrect. While sequentially correct timewise, a bit convoluted when trying to piece it together ;-) Believe he means the $65 check was for the NVC fee to process his affidavit of support for the I-130.

Rete

I sure hope so Rete. The EAD wait is long enough right now without any hiccups (she says on the 91st day..........)
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Rete

Rete
Oh yer, the EAD had the $120 cheque with it! The $65 dollars is the the small extortion racket that the NVC has after the I-130 is approved. (Hopefully my sig timeline is a little easier to read now.)

Last edited by jjrimell; Jan 7th 2004 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:29 pm
Sursum corda

Oh yer, the EAD had the $120 cheque with it! The $65 dollars is the the small extortion racket that the NVC has after the I-130 is approved. (Hopefully my sig timeline is a little easier to read now.)

So the question is still-have they CASHED your 120.00 check yet?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

davewilliams will become famous soon enoughdavewilliams will become famous soon enough

Hi,

MIne went a few days later, 26th December by overnight and I haven't heard anything either.

Dave
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

alex_lg is an unknown quantity at this point

I-130 : posted June 1st
K3 : posted July 14th
K3 : 2nd NOA received Oct 6th
K3 : packet 3 received from London Oct 24th
K3 : packet 4 received Nov 6th
I-130 : 2nd NOA (approval) received Nov 5th
I-130 : Received from NVC request for $65 Affidavit processing fee Nov 17th
K3 : London interview date Dec 8th
K3 : Received visa after interview Dec 8th
Entered US Dec 11th
K3 : Filed for EAD Dec 20th
I-130 : Posted $65 Affidavit processing fee Dec 20th
All Experts,

I am confused now. I thought people go for K3 because I-130 takes longer. Now since I-130 is approved on 11/5/03, what's the rationale to continue the K3 efforts on 12/8 and subsequently have to deal with EAD? I thought with I-130 approval, the embassy would give you an immigrant visa in your passport which is equivalent to a Green Card. I am probably missing something?

Thanks
Alex

Last edited by alex_lg; Jan 8th 2004 at 3:27 am.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:20 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by alex_lg
All Experts,

I am confused now. I thought people go for K3 because I-130 takes longer. Now since I-130 is approved on 11/5/03, what's the rationale to continue the K3 efforts on 12/8 and subsequently have to deal with EAD? I thought with I-130 approval, the embassy would give you an I-551 stamp in your passport which is equivalent to a Green Card. I am probably missing something?

Thanks
Alex

Alex,
We went for K3 because TSC is as of today doing 130s from 11 July 2001. Our 130 first NOA was 22 September 2002. Had we been under the jurisdiction of VSC it would have been a different story.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

alex_lg is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]
I-130 : 2nd NOA (approval) received Nov 5th
Cindy,

Thank you for the response. But I thought in the original posting, their 2nd NOA for I-130 was on 11/5, but they continued on their K3 effort in Dec. I haven't completely gone thru an I-130 myself yet. Is there 3rd, 4th... NOA to expect for I-130? thx

Rgds,
alex
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:28 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by alex_lg
Cindy,

Thank you for the response. But I thought in the original posting, their 2nd NOA for I-130 was on 11/5, but they continued on their K3 effort in Dec. I haven't completely gone thru an I-130 myself yet. Is there 3rd, 4th... NOA to expect for I-130? thx

Rgds,
alex
To the best of my knowledge (haven't gotten there yet and probably won't for another 18 months), there is the second NOA on the 130 and then one gets contacted by NVC before it goes over to whatever consulate (IF the petitioner left it that way) to be processed, otherwise it's finished in the US. The advantage of the 130 over the K3 is that it negates the seperate filing for an EAD and probably a few other things. The folks going through VSC by virtue of shorter processing times could speak to the 130 vs K3 process best. Sadly I am not one of those.