Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K3 visa from paris for nonresident USC - help please !

K3 visa from paris for nonresident USC - help please !

Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:23 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 visa from paris for nonresident USC - help please !

Originally posted by scorpie
thank you all for your help. It's becoming more clear now except contacting the embassy is still a work of impossible. I told my fiancee to go down there to ask questions (hope this one will work).
I am really nervous filing for K3 (through BCIS) since it takes longer than K1 (according to many people). But I guess I have to gamble on it.
Hi there Scorpie!!

I am so sorry DCF (for non residents) is not available in Paris , Madrid (Spain) quit doing DCF for non residents on July 1st, so my hubby and me are taking the k3 route
Timelines may vary but usually K3 take less than K1 unless you have to file In Vermont which isn't your case.
I know a few of K1's that have regreted not taking the K3 path.
Most of K3's I know have got their visas in 4 months (From begining of the process to end), that is not bad at all girlie. I will be here to support you whichever path you and your fiancee decide to take
Take care!!!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

scorpie is an unknown quantity at this point

Listen guys, I emailed the embassy and I got 'some' response!! OMG (ohmyGod)!!! though it's only 2 lines saying: "If you would like to send us your mailing address we will provide you with an information packet on immigration to the U.S."
Whatever it means.... because it really didn't answer my question if I could petition my spouse through US embassy Paris.
I made my email a little bit dramatic so it would attract their attention. At least they didn't tell me to call the freakin rip-off hotline. I replied back to the email providing them my fiancee's address AND still ask them to answer my question ..we'll see and will let you all know !
thanks so much all !!

Originally posted by Caro
Marian ended up waiting for her K1 and getting married in Michigan. They have their AOS interview in a few days if it has not already taken place.

The answers she got regarding DCF were at best murky, as far as I remember.

Last time I checked the US consulate website in Paris (a month or 2 ago), they hadn't added to not contact them for visa matters. You can still give it a try and see what happens...

I am not sure what is best to do K1 or K3. It is your call depending on what is important to you, and the rough timelines given on the different website. It is like a gamble!!!! As a side note, I **think** that the CSC is pretty "fast" [compared to other service centers, but that can change anytime] with the I-130s.

Caroline
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Listen guys, I emailed the embassy and I got 'some' response!! OMG (ohmyGod)!!! though it's only 2 lines saying: "If you would like to send us your mailing address we will provide you with an information packet on immigration to the U.S."
Whatever it means.... because it really didn't answer my question if I could petition my spouse through US embassy Paris.
I made my email a little bit dramatic so it would attract their attention. At least they didn't tell me to call the freakin rip-off hotline. I replied back to the email providing them my fiancee's address AND still ask them to answer my question ..we'll see and will let you all know !
thanks so much all !!
PS I posted in a new thread an answer to one of your old posts.

Caroline
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:36 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

thanks so much all !!

Hey those are very good news!!.. but they never told you, you could do DCF if you aren't a resident. I have searched a few websites and all of them say the same.. Paris dont accept DCF for non residents. Hope you hear from then soon and if you get to do DCF I will be happy for you guys
Old Nov 5th 2003, 7:22 am
Just Joined

I just got an email from one of K1ers with great info. I thought by posting it here, it would help some of us who is going through the same situation. Thanks much for spreading the info Marian !
Here we go:

As of several months ago the Paris consulate was allowing DCF for US citizens who DO NOT reside in France. We actually almost did that because our petition from Nebraska was taking so long.

The easiest to do would be to get married in the US (don't mention this when your fiance comes to the US port of entry - make sure he has beaucoup de proof of returning to France and still strong ties there) and then do the DCF. This is NOT a K-3 visa. For the DCF you first need to get married. Then both of you go to the Paris Consulate to submit the following papers and forms: I-130, I-864, G-325, OF-169, Of-230 part I, police, military, medical, and vaccinations records for French spouse, certified copy of marriage and birth certificates (divorce if applicable), and passports. After all this crapola is submitted you'll have to wait for perhaps a couple of weeks for an interview. I believe both of you must attend. The good news of getting a visa this way is that once you have passed the interview and all the papers are approved you're done. You don't have to apply for AOS in the US.

Here are some direct numbers you call to get more information: 011-331-43-12-45-35 (immigration visa department) 011-331-43-28-00-86 (receptionist - say you wish to speak directly with someone in the immigration visa department). FAX: 011-331-42-86-82-91

Be very specific with these guys. Ask them if they will allow you, a US citizen, and your husband who is a citizen of France to file an I-130 for a spousal visa directly at the Paris Consulate. Ask specifically what the procedure is and what is required. Check back with me after this as they don't always remember to tell you all the necessary forms, etc.

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey those are very good news!!.. but they never told you, you could do DCF if you aren't a resident. I have searched a few websites and all of them say the same.. Paris dont accept DCF for non residents. Hope you hear from then soon and if you get to do DCF I will be happy for you guys
Old Nov 5th 2003, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

just want to let you all know that I received an email reply from the US embassy Paris, and looks like DO DCF for non-resident now. I couldn't beleive it so I called the number below and the lady at the consulate confirmed it that they DO DCF for non-resident USC !!
I am skeptical if I don't see anything in writing so I really hope this is true. In any case, I have the email to back me up.

I just got an email from one of K1ers with great info. I thought by posting it here, it would help some of us who is going through the same situation. Thanks much for spreading the info Marian !
Here we go:

As of several months ago the Paris consulate was allowing DCF for US citizens who DO NOT reside in France. We actually almost did that because our petition from Nebraska was taking so long.

The easiest to do would be to get married in the US (don't mention this when your fiance comes to the US port of entry - make sure he has beaucoup de proof of returning to France and still strong ties there) and then do the DCF. This is NOT a K-3 visa. For the DCF you first need to get married. Then both of you go to the Paris Consulate to submit the following papers and forms: I-130, I-864, G-325, OF-169, Of-230 part I, police, military, medical, and vaccinations records for French spouse, certified copy of marriage and birth certificates (divorce if applicable), and passports. After all this crapola is submitted you'll have to wait for perhaps a couple of weeks for an interview. I believe both of you must attend. The good news of getting a visa this way is that once you have passed the interview and all the papers are approved you're done. You don't have to apply for AOS in the US.

Here are some direct numbers you call to get more information: 011-331-43-12-45-35 (immigration visa department) 011-331-43-28-00-86 (receptionist - say you wish to speak directly with someone in the immigration visa department). FAX: 011-331-42-86-82-91

Be very specific with these guys. Ask them if they will allow you, a US citizen, and your husband who is a citizen of France to file an I-130 for a spousal visa directly at the Paris Consulate. Ask specifically what the procedure is and what is required. Check back with me after this as they don't always remember to tell you all the necessary forms, etc.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 5:48 pm
At last in Josh's arms =)

JoshsCarole is an unknown quantity at this point

just want to let you all know that I received an email reply from the US embassy Paris, and looks like DO DCF for non-resident now. I couldn't beleive it so I called the number below and the lady at the consulate confirmed it that they DO DCF for non-resident USC !!
I am skeptical if I don't see anything in writing so I really hope this is true. In any case, I have the email to back me up.
Wow, you're a lucky man...I wish I had known that back in late June...The funny thing is that they don't say a THING about it on their website...*sigh* Glad for you though! Your fiancee will probably be getting her visa before I get my K-3!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news!
Get those documents ready
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by JoshsCarole
Wow, you're a lucky man...I wish I had known that back in late June...The funny thing is that they don't say a THING about it on their website...*sigh* Glad for you though! Your fiancee will probably be getting her visa before I get my K-3!
Why don't you just refile with the consulate since you are already married? Your husband would probably have to fly to France for that, but there are dirt cheap fares right now (that even include the Thanksgiving period, so that he can spare some of his vacation days, but he would have to be there on no vacation days for the US consulate). The benefits of DCF compared to even a K3 are enormous (no AOS in the US, no waiting for the I-130 from TSC, etc...).

I am extra-jealous too! We have been celebrating our second wedding anniversary and I have had my green card for only couple of months. It would have been awsome if we could have DCF 6 months after getting married when we were in France anyways for 1 month.

Caroline
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Yes the DCF thingy is great news !
Actually, you guys probably have misunderstood about my situation. I am actually 'she' and is not married yet My future hubby is the french one. We are planning to get married in France while I am there.
THen apply for DCF !

Caroline, congrats on your second anniversary! DOn't be jealous coz you are already with your man ! I am just starting the process...

Wish me luck and thank you all for your thoughts and tips.

Why don't you just refile with the consulate since you are already married? Your husband would probably have to fly to France for that, but there are dirt cheap fares right now (that even include the Thanksgiving period, so that he can spare some of his vacation days, but he would have to be there on no vacation days for the US consulate). The benefits of DCF compared to even a K3 are enormous (no AOS in the US, no waiting for the I-130 from TSC, etc...).

I am extra-jealous too! We have been celebrating our second wedding anniversary and I have had my green card for only couple of months. It would have been awsome if we could have DCF 6 months after getting married when we were in France anyways for 1 month.

Caroline
Old Nov 5th 2003, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes the DCF thingy is great news !
Actually, you guys probably have misunderstood about my situation. I am actually 'she' and is not married yet My future hubby is the french one. We are planning to get married in France while I am there.
THen apply for DCF !

Caroline, congrats on your second anniversary! DOn't be jealous coz you are already with your man ! I am just starting the process...

Wish me luck and thank you all for your thoughts and tips.
Not sure why I thought you were a "he". I guess because your handle is scorpie, which is like scorpio, which is masculin in French???? Sorry about that!

Yes, DCF rocks!!!!

Caroline

PS: I know we have had it better than a lot of people in the world of the INS, but we sure have paid our share of headaches and "I can't believe what they just did!". So, I am still jealous about that DCF stuff, but really happy you won't have to put with the same nonsense and screw-ups we had to!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the explanation ...however its still confusing about this CR-1 visa. I couldn't find it anywhere on the net (that says "CR-1") on how it really works, in what basis they decide to give you CR-1 instead K3, etc.
I tried to call the embassy but it's all recording. Unless you pay $15 plus whatever the long distance costs are, you could get a life person who can/ cannot help with your case. This is rather frustrating...
So if anyone else could help (who has experienced this), please write to me !! Especially if you have done I-130 from Paris - if it's all possible at all because I don't want to wind up in waiting for a year or more for my fiancee to be in the US.
thanks!
Go to the US Department of State website as they have jurisdiction over the foreign consulates. You will find the CR and IR references
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:39 pm
At last in Josh's arms =)

JoshsCarole is an unknown quantity at this point

Caroline
Caro, I am seriously thinking about doing it now...Scorpie, could you please tell me what email address you used to contact them? I guess I'll request an info package too to start with...

Thanks girls! =)
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:05 pm

Congrats!!!
I wish DCF for non residents was still available in Spain, anyway good luck!!

Keep us posted ok??
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Their email address is:
[email protected]

When you write, make your case sounds a little dramatic, like it's been a long and painful process, etc, etc...

touch base with me as to what they say.
Good luck !

Originally posted by JoshsCarole
Caro, I am seriously thinking about doing it now...Scorpie, could you please tell me what email address you used to contact them? I guess I'll request an info package too to start with...

Thanks girls! =)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.