K3 versus K1? Help!

Old Feb 14th 2003, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

hazelize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K3 versus K1? Help!

Can someone tell me a little more about the K3? We are looking to hire a new attorney...and in our search, we spoke with someone who said that due to my criminal convictions, it may be better for us to get married in Canada first, then apply for the K3 instead of the K1

If one goes through the K3 .... When exactly can the I cross the border? is it before I recieve approval from the consulate abroad? or do we wait until the K3 visa is in hand? Im confused about this? My fiance seems to think that I would be able to cross once we file the I 130..... I try to tell him that I dont think that is accurate..... so I need someone to possibly clarify this for us.

We are also wondering about working on a K3? Will I be able to work as soon as I enter the USA? or Do we have to wait until I recieve the greencard?

Can someone detail the outline of the process of the K3? and aproximate timeline? My fiance lives in California, and I am in Canada, and we are highly confused about the differences between the K3 and K1

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 14th 2003, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://k1.exit.com/index.html

That is the best advice I can give. After you research, you'll feel better. You'll still be confused, but you'll be more knowledgable.

Good luck,

~Claudia
Old Feb 14th 2003, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K3 versus K1? Help!

Originally posted by hazelize
Can someone tell me a little more about the K3? We are looking to hire a new attorney...and in our search, we spoke with someone who said that due to my criminal convictions, it may be better for us to get married in Canada first, then apply for the K3 instead of the K1

If one goes through the K3 .... When exactly can the I cross the border? is it before I recieve approval from the consulate abroad? or do we wait until the K3 visa is in hand? Im confused about this? My fiance seems to think that I would be able to cross once we file the I 130..... I try to tell him that I dont think that is accurate..... so I need someone to possibly clarify this for us.

We are also wondering about working on a K3? Will I be able to work as soon as I enter the USA? or Do we have to wait until I recieve the greencard?

Can someone detail the outline of the process of the K3? and aproximate timeline? My fiance lives in California, and I am in Canada, and we are highly confused about the differences between the K3 and K1

Thanks so much!
Dear Hazel:

You have criminal convictions. As a general rule, they cause problems NO MATTER what visa you use.

Also, as a result of those people who flew airplanes into buildings -- the INS computers have gotten a LOT better at the Ports of Entry. And I'm willing to bet that the US and Canadian computers talk to each other given the route some of those flyboys used to enter the United States. [BTW, one of my offspring often used flight 11, but I digress].

I have a few case where I had people come to me with problems, they didn't like the fact they had problems, went to someone else who said "no problem" and then they returned to me with bigger problems.