Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K3 paperwork filed at foreign consulate?

K3 paperwork filed at foreign consulate?

Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:29 am
Kelley

Default K3 paperwork filed at foreign consulate?

Hi,

I've heard a couple of places now that K3 paperwork can be filed
directly with a foreign US consulate if you were married in a foreign
country. Does anyone know if this is true? Is that just the I-129F you
would file, or also the I-130?

I am a US citizen and am going to marry a UK citizen in a week. We
would like to know if we can file his papers at the London consulate
instead of having to go through Nebraska.

Thanks.

Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:23 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 paperwork filed at foreign consulate?

Kelly,

A couple of confusing things in your post.

Application for a K3 visa cannot be filed at "a foreign" US consulate, it must be filed at a consulate that can process them in the country where the marriage took place.

But why would you want to do that? DCF, filing the I-130 petition at a consulate that will do DCF, gets one direct to an immigrant visa. Why in the world would you want to file 2 petitions, I-130 and I-129f, at a consulate to get a non-immigrant visa?

If your soon-to-be UK husband wants to get a K3 visa, your I-130 may go to Nebraska but your I-129f - the petition that leads to his K3 - goes to Missouri.

Originally posted by Kelley
Hi,

I've heard a couple of places now that K3 paperwork can be filed
directly with a foreign US consulate if you were married in a foreign
country. Does anyone know if this is true? Is that just the I-129F you
would file, or also the I-130?

Thanks.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 paperwork filed at foreign consulate?

Originally posted by Kelley

Thanks.
Kelley, to answer the question you are really asking:

You can file immigration papers for your UKC spouse at the Consulate in London only *IF* the USC has visa status in the UK *OTHER* than "tourist".

If the USC has no other visa status in the UK, they must file from the US or reside temporarily in a 3rd country.

JEff, I too was confused and possibly confusing when I started out this process because K3 is the only thing one ever sees with the name "spouse visa". DCF is not an official term that one would see at most immigration websites...it took me several weeks to find out about it myself.