K3 AOS Approved! (DETROIT) LONG

K3 AOS Approved! (DETROIT) LONG

Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ayisha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K3 AOS Approved! (DETROIT) LONG

Hi all!

My husband got his stamp!

He came over on a K3 visa on February 9, 2003, and we sent in his AOS/EAD paperwork on 2/24/03. At this time, his I130 was NOT approved and Detroit took the papers anyways. However, they forwarded his EAD to NBC. We didn't hear anything else until February 6, 2004, when we received a fingerprinting notice and an appointment for an AOS interview with Officer Casterline at 8am on 2/27/04.

I emailed the office to ask about the still not-approved I130, but I didn't get an answer. I prepared another I130 and we took our checkbook just in case they needed another one. I also gathered everything that had our name on them, including checks that both of us wrote for the rent and other bills. I also brought a copy of my life insurance with S's name as beneficiary, and a copy of my TIAA CREF statement with his name on it. I also brought a copy of our lease agreement that showed that he would be living in the apartment and that he was my husband. (I made sure to tell the officer that when we got the apartment, he didn't have his SS# so he couldn't sign it.) We had letters from friends, bank statments showing we had a joint account, and a statement from AAA showing that we had auto and renters insurance together. I also made sure to bring our wedding album and photos of our honeymoon and 1 year anniversary celebration. We also had the standard stuff, like proof of employment, an updated 864, medical, ADIT photos of S., etc.

We got to the USCIS office at 6:45, because the last time we were there, we had to park in the Walgreen's parking lot across the street because the lot was full. This time we had to park in the street until 7 when the actual lot opened up. The office was pretty empty when we got in around 7:15ish, but it started to fill up quickly around 7:45. We were NOT called in at 8. At 8:45, everyone who had an appointment was called into the back waiting room, and DAO Casterline called us in at 9.

The appointment was a breeze, and the DAO was VERY nice. He had us swear in, verified all of the information regarding names, addresses and birthdays, and then he asked Sohail the usual questions. (prostitution, etc.) It was hard for me to keep a straight face when he asked if Sohail was planning to overthrow the government, and if he planned on being a spy. When the officer got to the part about polygamy (he had to explain the word and say "it means you belive in having more than one wife"), Sohail was warned to answer carefully because I was giving him "a look." I laughed and said that Islam allows up to four wives and that he constantly threatens me that he's going to get married to someone else so that I won't have to worry about cooking and cleaning.

Once that part was finished, he asked for documents. I just started handing them to him, and he stopped me when I wasn't even half way through! He said the lease, the TIAA CREF and the life insurance, the AAA and bank letter was enough. He then complimented me on my organization, saying that most people don't bother getting the docs together properly. He also said that he wished we had more time with him because he loves looking at wedding and family photos.

Oh, we also mentioned that the doctor we went to see regarding the medical charged us a dollar for the actual carbon copy USCIS form because they don't accept the computer printouts. He was very upset, and said he would look into it.

The only thing we were missing were MY ADIT photos. Officer Casterline said that in any kind of marriage based interview, both of our photos are needed. He gave Sohail the I-551 stamp anyways, gave us back the interview letter with a paperclip, said to run across the street and get the photos done, attach them to the letter, and drop them in the tray (which took only about 10 minutes total). He also gave us the form to file when we remove the conditions.

We walked out of the USCIS building at 9:30.

The I-130 is still in Nebraska, and we didn't have to file another one.

Ayisha
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

jgbreton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K3 AOS Approved! (DETROIT) LONG

Congratulations!!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jgbreton
Congratulations!!
Thanks!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 3:36 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ayisha
Hi all!

My husband got his stamp!

He came over on a K3 visa on February 9, 2003, and we sent in his AOS/EAD paperwork on 2/24/03. At this time, his I130 was NOT approved and Detroit took the papers anyways. However, they forwarded his EAD to NBC. We didn't hear anything else until February 6, 2004, when we received a fingerprinting notice and an appointment for an AOS interview with Officer Casterline at 8am on 2/27/04.

I emailed the office to ask about the still not-approved I130, but I didn't get an answer. I prepared another I130 and we took our checkbook just in case they needed another one. I also gathered everything that had our name on them, including checks that both of us wrote for the rent and other bills. I also brought a copy of my life insurance with S's name as beneficiary, and a copy of my TIAA CREF statement with his name on it. I also brought a copy of our lease agreement that showed that he would be living in the apartment and that he was my husband. (I made sure to tell the officer that when we got the apartment, he didn't have his SS# so he couldn't sign it.) We had letters from friends, bank statments showing we had a joint account, and a statement from AAA showing that we had auto and renters insurance together. I also made sure to bring our wedding album and photos of our honeymoon and 1 year anniversary celebration. We also had the standard stuff, like proof of employment, an updated 864, medical, ADIT photos of S., etc.

We got to the USCIS office at 6:45, because the last time we were there, we had to park in the Walgreen's parking lot across the street because the lot was full. This time we had to park in the street until 7 when the actual lot opened up. The office was pretty empty when we got in around 7:15ish, but it started to fill up quickly around 7:45. We were NOT called in at 8. At 8:45, everyone who had an appointment was called into the back waiting room, and DAO Casterline called us in at 9.

The appointment was a breeze, and the DAO was VERY nice. He had us swear in, verified all of the information regarding names, addresses and birthdays, and then he asked Sohail the usual questions. (prostitution, etc.) It was hard for me to keep a straight face when he asked if Sohail was planning to overthrow the government, and if he planned on being a spy. When the officer got to the part about polygamy (he had to explain the word and say "it means you belive in having more than one wife"), Sohail was warned to answer carefully because I was giving him "a look." I laughed and said that Islam allows up to four wives and that he constantly threatens me that he's going to get married to someone else so that I won't have to worry about cooking and cleaning.

Once that part was finished, he asked for documents. I just started handing them to him, and he stopped me when I wasn't even half way through! He said the lease, the TIAA CREF and the life insurance, the AAA and bank letter was enough. He then complimented me on my organization, saying that most people don't bother getting the docs together properly. He also said that he wished we had more time with him because he loves looking at wedding and family photos.

Oh, we also mentioned that the doctor we went to see regarding the medical charged us a dollar for the actual carbon copy USCIS form because they don't accept the computer printouts. He was very upset, and said he would look into it.

The only thing we were missing were MY ADIT photos. Officer Casterline said that in any kind of marriage based interview, both of our photos are needed. He gave Sohail the I-551 stamp anyways, gave us back the interview letter with a paperclip, said to run across the street and get the photos done, attach them to the letter, and drop them in the tray (which took only about 10 minutes total). He also gave us the form to file when we remove the conditions.

We walked out of the USCIS building at 9:30.

The I-130 is still in Nebraska, and we didn't have to file another one.

Ayisha

Oh my gosh!! That is great news!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
:PARTY: :PARTY:

Ps: I was told in the USCIS Denver office that even if my I-130 wasn't yet approved, they could go ahead and set an AOS interview. Isn't that weird??
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Oh my gosh!! That is great news!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
:PARTY: :PARTY:

Ps: I was told in the USCIS Denver office that even if my I-130 wasn't yet approved, they could go ahead and set an AOS interview. Isn't that weird??
Thanks! That IS weird! I didn't even want to ask about our I130, which is still sitting on a shelf in Nebraska, because I didn't want to jinx anything. Maybe they're trying to speed things up for the 2008 elections? The way I figure, Sohail will be applying for naturalization just in time for the primaries. He can't wait!

Ayisha
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:23 am
Kmz

Hi Ayisha

Congratulations on your good news...I am also with K3 but I was told that I
couldn't file AOS until I get I 130 approval. I am so confused.

Kim
"Ayisha" <member7381@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Hypertweeky
    > > Oh my gosh!! That is
    > great news!!
    > > CONGRATULATIONS!!
    > > :PARTY: :PARTY:
    > >
    > >
    > Ps: I was told in the USCIS Denver office that even if my I-130 wasn't
    > yet approved, they could go ahead and set an AOS interview. Isn't that
    > weird??
    > Thanks! That IS weird! I didn't even
    > want to ask about our I130, which is still sitting on a shelf in
    > Nebraska, because I didn't want to jinx anything. Maybe they're trying
    > to speed things up for the 2008 elections? The way I figure, Sohail will
    > be applying for naturalization just in time for the primaries. He can't
    > wait!
    > Ayisha
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Kmz
Hi Ayisha

Congratulations on your good news...I am also with K3 but I was told that I
couldn't file AOS until I get I 130 approval. I am so confused.

Kim
Hi Kim! Thanks! Ask your local office if you can submit w/o approval. It varies by office.

Good luck!

Ayisha