Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K3 after 'DCF' fails/is 'DCF' risky?

K3 after 'DCF' fails/is 'DCF' risky?

Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default K3 after 'DCF' fails/is 'DCF' risky?

Just a few questions re. something that was posted on another thread (see quote)

From http://travel.state.gov/state167548.html

May IR1 Petition Beneficiaries Opt for K3 Processing?

-----------------------------------------------------

30. According to the LIFE Act, a K3 visa may be issued when "an immigrant visa is not immediately available to the alien." To maximize the number of aliens who may benefit from the LIFE Act provisions, VO has determined that an immigrant visa is "available" only when the actual approved I-130 petition has been received by the IV-issuing consular post. If the I-130 petition is at post, or the applicant has already been interviewed and denied the IR1 by a consular officer, perhaps due to lack of the I-864 AOS, that applicant must proceed with IR1 processing and may not choose to apply instead for the K3. If the I-130 petition remains at or is in transit from NVC, or the applicant has already commenced K3 application (by returning Packet 3 forms) when the I-130 petition arrives at post, he/she may continue to process the K3 rather than switch to IR1 processing. K3 applicants may opt at any time to process as IR1s rather than continue the K3 application.
Does this mean that if DCF (the consular application for an IR1) fails for whatever reason, a K3 is not possible? And, if so, if DCF fails, can you DCF over and over again until you eventually get approved?
And now for the oddball question - is DCF considered more risky than a K3 (or a K1, but then of course before marriage)?

Just curious.

Elaine
Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 after 'DCF' fails/is 'DCF' risky?

PS - I'd like to add that this is not a totally off-the-wall question.... We will be going for DCF (IR1 and IR2 in Amsterdam), and even though I don't expect any problems I'm still nervous... just like to know what happens if DCF goes wrong.

Elaine
Old Nov 20th 2003, 3:31 am
Eileen

If the petition is denied.....you can
1--appeal
2--get your husband one of those one speed bikes and teach him Dutch real
fast
just what are you nervous about?
e
"HunterGreen" <member15421@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > PS - I'd like to add that this is not a totally off-the-wall
    > question.... We will be going for DCF (IR1 and IR2 in Amsterdam), and
    > even though I don't expect any problems I'm still nervous... just
    > like to know what happens if DCF goes wrong.
    > Elaine
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Anyone? Is the K3 route off after a failed DCF?
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:58 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

HG,

DCF is simply the filing of an I-130 petition at an overseas consulate rather than at a US Service Center.

If an I-130 cannot be approved you need to know the reason why and address it, because the same reason may make it possible that an I-129f petition for the same person also cannot be approved.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by HunterGreen
Just a few questions re. something that was posted on another thread (see quote)

Does this mean that if DCF (the consular application for an IR1) fails for whatever reason, a K3 is not possible? And, if so, if DCF fails, can you DCF over and over again until you eventually get approved?
And now for the oddball question - is DCF considered more risky than a K3 (or a K1, but then of course before marriage)?

Just curious.

Elaine
Old Nov 20th 2003, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious.

Elaine
As you note, you are speculating in advance.

Now it depends upon what you define as "failure" -- do note that in the DCF process, the consulates have no authority whatsoever to deney an I-130.

So if you fail to obtain approval of the I-130 at the consulate [which although is not a denial, it would be construed as failure, if I read you correctly], there is nothing to prevent the filing of the I-129F for K-3.

If your I-130 is approved, but you are denied the VISA, then you can't do the K-3.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you both for your replies. It took me a while to get back to this, because I wanted to research some things. Especially Folinskyinla's reply had, and actually still has, me a bit puzzled.

do note that in the DCF process, the consulates have no authority whatsoever to deney an I-130.
Surely this doesn't mean the consulate will always approve the I-130... so if it's not a denial, than what is it called that could go wrong?

If your I-130 is approved, but you are denied the VISA, then you can't do the K-3.
That could be because the Affidavit of Support or any other forms are missing information/not reaching the poverty limit/something like that? (I was of the impression that an approved I-130 always meant getting a visa).

And this is, by the way, what I was talking about/referring to - getting denied the visa.

Thanks again!

Elaine
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 4:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

HG,

An approved petition means that you meet the qualifications to apply for the relavant visa.

It does not mean that the consulate must approve your visa application.

Regards, JEff

.... (I was of the impression that an approved I-130 always meant getting a visa).

And this is, by the way, what I was talking about/referring to - getting denied the visa.

Thanks again!

Elaine
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Jeff.

I know this is probably speculation, but what are things that could lead to this non-approval?

Elaine
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

prostitution, drugs, criminal record. false application to INS, illegal stay in U.S. to name a few.

Thanks Jeff.

I know this is probably speculation, but what are things that could lead to this non-approval?

Elaine
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh okay.... no worries there then. Thanks lpdiver.

Elaine
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh okay.... no worries there then. Thanks lpdiver.

Elaine

Elaine, can you post your timeline too please?
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HunterGreen Surely this doesn't mean the consulate will always approve the I-130... so if it's not a denial, than what is it called that could go wrong?
You can read a document called "9FAM" (there's more to it than that but I don't have it in front of me) that explains the Consular rules for adjucating I-130s. If the Consul doesn't think the I-130 is approvalble, they can not 'deny' it, but send it stateside.

All of that comes before the visa application.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Eileen
If the petition is denied.....you can
1--appeal
2--get your husband one of those one speed bikes and teach him Dutch real
fast
just what are you nervous about?
e
Hey, I don't know where this post came from all of a sudden... I swear it wasn't here earlier today! Even thought the date says differently *puzzled*. Sorry Eileen, I wasn't ignoring you or anything.

I'm just nervous I guess because I want everything to go right. We don't have anything out of the ordinary in our pasts and I think our case will be pretty straightforward.
I am very confident we will have no problems on the one hand.... and then on the other hand I sometimes just get nervous because I tend to think about the ''what if's'' a bit too much. But that's just me.

Also I just like to ask questions.... find out what makes things happen etc... I like knowing a lot about a lot of things, just for the sake of knowing it. I guess the two got mixed and made for my post! Thanks for your reply, Eileen.

Elaine
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
Elaine, can you post your timeline too please?
Well, hmmm.... *cough cough*.

I am a little bit embarrassed now to admit that we haven't started yet. I just like having my ducks in a row, and being prepared... that's why I started reading this newsgroup about 2 years ago. I've educated myself on the process a lot since then, and since our plans are starting to work out recently (just our own little timeline of what we want and can do at certain points in time), I've started reading (and posting) here again.
So there is no timeline to post yet, but I will as soon as there is.

Elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.