K1, what next?

Old Jan 17th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default K1, what next?

Hi everyone,

Things seem to be moving along quite well! For those that are checking the progress of K1 applications out of Nebraska, I received packet one from the London Embassy today. So far so good! I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help:

1) Is this the last packet that I will recieve now from the London Embassy? Or will I recieve other stuff to fill in? Im sure I read about a Packet 2 somewhere...

2) I am only now applying for my Police Certificate. I don't really want to send my passport to them, so has anyone sent their original paper driving license before AND received it back?! Will this be ok? Also, they say it takes about 40 days for you to get the certificate back - bearing in mind current London Embassy processing times, do you think this is going to be a problem? I am hoping to leave for the US around the beginning of July.

Thanks for any help guys.

Matt
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:43 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1, what next?

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Hi everyone,

Things seem to be moving along quite well! For those that are checking the progress of K1 applications out of Nebraska, I received packet one from the London Embassy today. So far so good! I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help:

1) Is this the last packet that I will recieve now from the London Embassy? Or will I recieve other stuff to fill in? Im sure I read about a Packet 2 somewhere...

2) I am only now applying for my Police Certificate. I don't really want to send my passport to them, so has anyone sent their original paper driving license before AND received it back?! Will this be ok? Also, they say it takes about 40 days for you to get the certificate back - bearing in mind current London Embassy processing times, do you think this is going to be a problem? I am hoping to leave for the US around the beginning of July.

Thanks for any help guys.

Matt
Most people tend to apply for their police certificate when they recieve their NOA2. So I would send for that ASAP. I think what you have is reffered to as packet 3, if so you do not need to send any documents, other than the forms and checklist. You need to have all the relevent info i.e police cert, birth cert etc. to hand. Then send in the completed check list and forms.

You will then recieve packet 4 from the embassy which includes your interview date.

have a look at the FAQ s for a more in depth explanation hope this helps

alan
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:45 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matt,
My now-husband went through the K1 process last year. To get a police certificate at that time he simply went to his local police station, showed them his documentation and they filled out the paperwork. I really don't believe he had to send anything anywhere to get this done. I know we both would have been nervous about that! Either way, I'd get this done immediately. You're not supposed to send in the next packet until you have all the documentation on the checklist, police certificate being one of them. Which means, if you follow the rules, London can't even schedule you for an interview until you have the certificate in hand.

I'm assuming that you have received something that says, "we've got your case from NVC and we are beginning to process it now" or something similar, right? The next thing you'll get is the actual checklist of documentation for the interview. As I said, you are supposed to gather all those things, then send the form back, letting them know you have everything ready. When they receive that, then they schedule you for an interview, sometimes as much as four to six weeks out, depending on their schedule at the time.

So, it benefits you to get that certificate taken care of ASAP. You don't want to send the checklist back indicating you have everything, get a really quick interview date, and have to attend without this important document, which obviously would delay things.

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
(about 70 miles nw of Schaumburg!)
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

The packet I got from the Embassy was a checklist of documents needed, and some forms.

I figure if I send out for the Police Certificate today, I will receive it around the end of February. If I then send it off to the Embassy immediately, and they are taking around 6 weeks to get an interview, that will be around beginning of April?

That would be fine for me as I don't intend to leave until July time.

I hope my theory is right here!

Thanks for all help.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:02 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
The packet I got from the Embassy was a checklist of documents needed, and some forms.

I figure if I send out for the Police Certificate today, I will receive it around the end of February. If I then send it off to the Embassy immediately, and they are taking around 6 weeks to get an interview, that will be around beginning of April?

That would be fine for me as I don't intend to leave until July time.

I hope my theory is right here!

Thanks for all help.
Looks like a trip to the police station is in order! Good luck with everything--as I said, I don't remember my husband having to send anything anywhere to get the police certificate--I could be wrong, but I would think I'd remember that.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:49 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: K1, what next?

[QUOTE=SecretGarden]Hi Matt,
My now-husband went through the K1 process last year. To get a police certificate at that time he simply went to his local police station, showed them his documentation and they filled out the paperwork. I really don't believe he had to send anything anywhere to get this done.

costs £10. Your local police station won't do it but will give you the forms to send. Mine went to Birmingham (force head office) they then get there info from Scotland yard. Well that was my experience anyway 2 months ago.

alan
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=evoal2003]
Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi Matt,
My now-husband went through the K1 process last year. To get a police certificate at that time he simply went to his local police station, showed them his documentation and they filled out the paperwork. I really don't believe he had to send anything anywhere to get this done.

costs £10. Your local police station won't do it but will give you the forms to send. Mine went to Birmingham (force head office) they then get there info from Scotland yard. Well that was my experience anyway 2 months ago.

alan
Hmmm..I fairly certain it was about £10 for my now hubby when he applied for his at the end of 2003. He went to his local station where they took his fingerprints and filled out some information. I can't remember if they sent it off or if he had to then send it in.

Matt, I definitely would not send the checklist in without having the police cert in your hands. My hubby was given less than 2 weeks notice of this interview, and you don't want to delay things in case that were to happen. You sending in the checklist tells London that you have all docs in your hands, so sending it in when you don't isn't a totally good idea.

Good luck!
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Police cert, £10 and I used my paper drivers license, no probs, but didn't get it in time for my interview, it arrived the next day, how annoying huh
But I went to the consulate, had the medical and the "interview", he said everythings fine, come back when I have the police cert, so I headed up a couple days later, it was the new year at the time, and didn't have to have the long queue outside, got in quick, they saw it quickly and stamped my passport, so had another day to go shopping around london
but then I didn't live that far away.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:15 pm
The Missus

[QUOTE=evoal2003]
Hi Matt,

alan
Hi,
Sorry I should clarify. What I meant was that I didn't think my husband had to send his passport or driver's license anywhere to get the certificate. I'm sure I'm remembering this correctly when I say that he went to the local police station, showed them his information, paid the fee and they sent the application off for him. Maybe it varies by station or something?

~SG
Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice

Hi,
Sorry I should clarify. What I meant was that I didn't think my husband had to send his passport or driver's license anywhere to get the certificate. I'm sure I'm remembering this correctly when I say that he went to the local police station, showed them his information, paid the fee and they sent the application off for him. Maybe it varies by station or something?

~SG
I rang the local police number and they mailed me the form, which I completed and took to the local police station who filled in their bits, took my money and logged it in a book.

I then sat back and waited around about 5 weeks I think it was.