K1 Visa Timeline...

Old May 8th 2003, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

clare009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Visa Timeline...

Hi all,

My fiance and I are planning on going through the K1 visa process in order for me to be able to move to the US to be with him. We have the forms on his side and I know we need to file the petition in Nebraska. I live in the UK and will be dealing with the US embassy in London. Does anyone know roughly how long the process will take?

I'm having nightmares already about having to wait months and months and since we don't have the money to travel back and forth to see each other, we're not going to be together until I get there permanently.

Clare
Old May 8th 2003, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

catswhiskers is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiance and I are just about to start this process to. I am in London he is in Pennsylvania. Thankfully we see each other about every 2/3 weeks. We have been told by several people that it can take between 30 and 120 days with the majority of cases being passed in about 90 days (for UK citizens). I also think it depends on the centre you have to apply through. I think there is a timeline of centres on here somewhere.

Having seen some of the lengths of dates here, some seem to have taken ages.
Old May 8th 2003, 10:09 am
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

90 days out Nebraska would be a fluke and although a quick one gets out of there once in a while, I certainly wouldn't count on it. here is our time line which is also my signature at expats.com(posted for the sake of usenet users):

Me : USA
Fiancé : UK

* 11/12/02 submitted I-129F to NSC
* 11/13/02 Police Certificate Applied for
* 11/15/02 1st NOA receipt date
* 11/23/02 received NOA document in mail
* 12/03/02 Opened Provisional File at London Consulate
* 01/08/03 Received Police Certificate
* 03/24/03 2nd NOA-----Note: we found out we were approved by calling the telephone case status check. The online status message didn't change to showing us as "approved" until March 28, 2003-----
* 04/03/03 NVC received file from NSC
* 04/08/03 called NVC - our file is still being entered into the system
* 04/10/03 called NVC - our file was sent to the London TODAY
* 04/14/03 received notice of receipt and action from NVC
* 04/23/03 received Packet #4 and interview date from London Consulate
* 04/30/03 K-1 interview at London Consulate -K-1 VISA APPROVED

* 05/25/03 thing2 at last goes home to thing1
* 06/18/03 thing1 and thing2 say "I do!"

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/uk_us_couples/

By the time my thing2 actually is in my arms the whole process to get him to me will have take roughly 6 and a half months. Good luck to all of those going through NSC. May your timeline be much shorter than our own.
Old May 8th 2003, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Default *cries*

6 months??? OMG!

How did you do it?

I mean - how did you get through all that emotional stress?

Is there any way at all to speed up the process?

I take it that you didn't have anything at fault with your application that delayed, but it was just the department being slow in processing.

Clare
Old May 8th 2003, 10:37 am
Just Joined

UK Isabelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Clare,

I am going through the Texas Service Centre (you'll be going through the Nebraska one). They have very similar timelines from what I have seen, although at the moment Nebraska seems to be winning by a whisker - it's processing later applications than Texas.

At the moment, there are an awful lot of people going through the TSC who have been waiting for 6 months or more for their approval. The official 'processing time' for the TSC at the moment is 120-150 days (although my 1st NOA said 60-90 days). Then the petition has to go to the National Visa Centre in New Hampshire to be 'processed'(average time there seems to be between 3 - 4 weeks) before it is sent to the Embassy in London. When it gets there you can expect to wait approximately another 4-8 weeks before having your interview scheduled.

Personally, I am still hoping for a visa by mid-November (my first NOA was March 11th 2003), but I may well be a little optimistic there!!!

Isabelle
Old May 8th 2003, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

"How did you do it?

I mean - how did you get through all that emotional stress?"

I wont lie to you and say it is easy being apart from the one you love. I am one of the very lucky ones that gets to file through Vermont because of where my fiancee lives, but the being apart is just as hard.

There is ok days, there is bad days, and there is really really bad days.. There is no such thing as a good day for me when I am apart from my fiancee

You just have to keep positive and know you WILL get there to be with them forever... and there is no way of speeding up the processing per-se but by ensuring everything is filled in and filed correctly you can hopefully avoid the dreaded RFE.

The very best of luck to one and all,

Lee
Old May 8th 2003, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, we are trying hard to be positive - but it's still early days for us. We haven't even submitted our application as we are waiting to scrape together the money to do so - as well as collect all the information we need and put it in order. The way things are going, it looks like we're not even going to be together for Christmas

Clare
Old May 8th 2003, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

hoosier wannabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Clare09,

I also went through Nebraska! Ive not see my fiance in 8 months. It is hard, no matter what ppl say to you, it doesnt make up the fact that you are away from the person you truly love........ especially at certain times of the years (Christmas and birthdays). If you can get over the Nebraska hurdle everything after that seems to be so fast. My suggestion is........... while your waiting to be approved from Nebraska...... enjoy life, enjoy your last few months in your home country, prepare for married life, prepare for your arrival in the US and all that good stuff. Just dont sit around depressed!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesnt make the time go any faster! Beleive me!

Here is mine and my fiances timeline:

2nd Dec 2002: 1st NOA
17th April 2003: 2nd NOA
22nd April 2003: Sent to NVC
28th April 2003: Sent to London
7th May 2003: Received packet 4
21st May 2003: INTERVIEW!

Good luck, take care, smile and GET BUSY!

Shaun
Old May 8th 2003, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Clare I haven't seen my love in 4 months and we miss each other terribly. But, the wait is worth it My fiance and I just received our 2nd NOA from Nebraska! We were approved on the 140th day. Once your file is assigned to an officer there, it moves rather quickly. See my timeline below. Good luck to you, hang in there!!
Old May 8th 2003, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

catswhiskers is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG 8 months. I just don't know how you do that. The phone bills must be pretty high - I know ours are and we see each other very frequently.
Old May 8th 2003, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

hoosier wannabe is an unknown quantity at this point

2 words for ya............ CALLING CARD

I dont know wether im allowed to post the company i use, but pm me and i will let ya know. I pay 3p a min to call US, i spend roughly £10 per week.

Im so excited to be able to call my gal anytime, rather then have to wait till 1 in the morning! right now thats just a dream but soon! *sigh* Im planning on a great escape after i receive my visa. So all being well im gonna be outta here in the next 4 weeks YAY

All the best to those in the early stages........ i hope you enjoy roller coasters! the K1 roller coaster is big with lots of loops- just ride it, hang in there and try to smile! ALL of you WILL be with your loved ones soon.

Man i should be a motivational speaker

Shaun
Old May 8th 2003, 4:41 pm
Matt/Danielle

Default Re: K1 Visa Timeline...

SUGGESTION:

I'm from the UK and my fiancée (now wife) is from Wisconsin. I moved here
in 2000 to be a student and then sent in my k-1 visa app January of 2003
after proposing to Danielle 12th December 2001 (we've been together since
April 1999). It was through this group that I found out I had wasted my
money sending the k-1 packet in because I could have just filed for an
adjustment of status. Adjusting status allows for someone granted temporary
status (like a student) to switch to one of the permanent resident
categories (spouse in my case). The adjustment is something that can be
done in person at my local BCIS office along with my employment
authorization.

It's a little bit untruthful...well, very untruthful...but trying to visit
the US on some other sort of temporary visa in order to not be apart could
be a consideration. DON'T do it on the visa waiver tourist thing (for when
you're just visiting) because it would get far too complicated. If studying
for something here could be a possibility, there are plenty of inexpensive
tech colleges, that's an avenue. Would again suggest leaving it a while
before actually getting married because immigration won't allow you in the
country if they think it's just so you can get married. If you do it the
day after you arrive, they'll definitely be suspicious.

This route certainly cuts down the waiting time because it is much quicker
to get approved for a student visa than it is for a k-1. You do have the
stress of paying for college though.

Just thought I should throw the idea out, even though I know someone is
going to reply and complain that it's cheating...

If anyone is thinking of complaining, consider this: if what I'm suggesting
is "cheating", how CHEATED do you feel being forced to be kept away from
your legitimate partner? The BCIS gets to play with policies, and we get to
level the playing field by finding loops.

Matt

"hoosier wannabe" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > 2 words for ya............ CALLING CARD
    > I dont know wether im allowed to post the company i use, but pm me
    > and i will let ya know. I pay 3p a min to call US, i spend roughly
    > £10 per week.
    > Im so excited to be able to call my gal anytime, rather then have to
    > wait till 1 in the morning! right now thats just a dream but soon!
    > *sigh* Im planning on a great escape after i receive my visa. So all
    > being well im gonna be outta here in the next 4 weeks YAY
    > All the best to those in the early stages........ i hope you enjoy
    > roller coasters! the K1 roller coaster is big with lots of loops- just
    > ride it, hang in there and try to smile! ALL of you WILL be with your
    > loved ones soon.
    > Man i should be a motivational speaker
    > Shaun
    > --
    > hoosier gonabe
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 8th 2003, 4:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *cries*

Originally posted by clare009
6 months??? OMG!

How did you do it?

I mean - how did you get through all that emotional stress?

Is there any way at all to speed up the process?

I take it that you didn't have anything at fault with your application that delayed, but it was just the department being slow in processing.

Clare
Historically the K-1 from start to finish takes from 4 to 6 months. Of course, there are always people who finish quicker or slower.

As for getting through it, you do. You don't obssess about the separation every minute of every day. You live your life in the country you are in and work and play and visit with family and friends. You start making preparations for your move to another country and culture and they make preparations in their home/country for you.

You don't allow yourself to stress over it unless you enjoy the stress. Life is always filled with stress and adversaries and there are few people that find life a breeze and get everything they want when they want it.

Use this time wisely to settle your affairs and say your goodbyes. It is a learning experience and only one of many.

Rete
Old May 8th 2003, 4:58 pm
not a newbie

soulsender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thanks for that rete

Being in the middle of the process I sometimes lose sight that ya have to push it out of your mind and just be you till the good news (or bad) comes. I just saw my honey and it's more separation from last week than waiting. as our love grows even more the loneliness gets more intense but good advice like this helps. I guess ultimately it's ok that love is still growing and it's ok to feel loss/ lonley but not ok to let it rule your life. It can bring both of you down and thats really not constructive is it?
Old May 8th 2003, 5:46 pm
ScarlettHill

Hi,

Welcome to the K1 visa experience! I remember the shock to the system when we realised we couldn't just sign a few forms, get married and be together. It takes a bit of getting over. You are probably feeling horrified right now at all the waiting and uncertainty ahead of you. All I can tell you is there are lots of us who have survived it and come out the other end with a strengthened relationship.

The most important practical thing you can do is check your paperwork. Then check it again. Then check it a third time. Ask questions here anytime you get stuck - don't guess. We've all heard of people getting delayed through something as seemingly stupid as answering a question 'not applicable' rather than stating 'none'. ie on previous marriages, or the question about children. If you've never been married and don't have children the answer is 'none', not 'not applicable'. Sound crazy? It matters. It can mean a delay because of a request for further evidence.

I'm from the UK and we went through Texas Service Centre and London Embassy and the process was 3 and a half months end to end. But we were two of the lucky ones, getting through Texas before their 'go slow'.

Meanwhile, though London has now stopped opening 'provisional files', which meant fiances could get their paperwork in early, there is nothing to stop you getting all the Emglish side of the paperwork together as well as the American. Things like police certificates can take a while to get and it will save stress if you start gathering stuff now and having all those shots while you can get them free on the good ole NHS.

My timeline:

MY TIMELINE - ENGLISH LAKE DISTRICT TO DALLAS
K1 visa with 2 K2 children
Texas Service Center, London Embassy and Dallas INS

July 16, 2002
(DAY 1)
129F petition filed via Catholic Charities
(you don't have to be Catholic to use their service - we're not)

July 22, 2002
(DAY 7)
129F petition NOA-1 receipt date

(Sometime between these dates I opened a provisional file with London embassy.)

August 7, 2002
(DAY 23)
129F petition NOA-2 approval notice date

(Garth was visiting in England when petition approved so we don't know when exactly
NOA-2 arrived at Garth's place but on August 13 (!!!) I received notification that
London embassy already had NOA-2.)

October 31, 2002
(DAY 108)
London embassy interview and medical - visas received same day

December 11, 2002
(DAY 149)
Flew out to Dallas, via Newark Port of Entry

December 12, 2002
(DAY 150)
Legal wedding in our front room with local minister

December 13, 2002
(DAY 151)
Wedding recorded same day at Federal Building, downtown Dallas

December 21, 2002
(DAY 159)
Wedding ceremony

January 3, 2003
(DAY 1 AOS - DAY 172 from filing 129F)
Filed 3 x AOS (I-485) for me and girls and EAD for me through Catholic Charities

January 27, 2003
(DAY 25 AOS - DAY 172 from filing 129F)
AOS receipt date (though receipt didn't actually arrive till end February)

March 5, 2003
(DAY 62 AOS - DAY 233 from filing 129F)
Fingerprint appointment

March 17, 2003
(DAY 74 AOS - DAY 245 from filing 129F)
EAD issued and SSN applied for - told SSN could take 3 months to process - still waiting - arrrrgh!

May 7, 2003
(Day 126 AOS - Day 297 after filing 129F)
Got I-693 medical supplements for self and girls

May 19, 2003
(Day 138 AOS - Day 309 after filing 129F)
AOS interview.....

...to be continued

Best of luck!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.