Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa in South Africa

Wikiposts

K1 visa in South Africa

Old Mar 26th 2001, 9:20 pm
Neil Scott

I'm a South African citizen and met my fiance while working in the States as an au
pair on the J1 visa. We are now about to file the I-129F petition, and I would like
to hear from any other South Africans who have gone through the K1 visa process.
We've been through all the websites and are pretty sure about what the requirements
are, but would really appreciate any extra advice from a South African perspective!!
Also, I already have a Social Security number, will that create any problems while
applying? Thanks so much!

Old Mar 27th 2001, 12:06 am
Alvena Ferreira

Neil Scott wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The SS number is not a problem. You can file for this visa IF you do not have a
2-year home residency requirement on the J1 that has not been fulfilled. (some j-1
have it, some don't)

You may want to consider marriage in South Africa instead of in the US, South Africa
will do direct consular processing for a spousal visa if your US fiance comes there,
marries you , and applies at the consulate for an I-130...see these pages:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/dcf.html

Consular filing for the spousal visa would be quicker than a fiance visa in most
situations, taking only 3 months or less, plus you would have the added benefit of
arriving at the US with a green card stamp in your passport, ready to work
immediately.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes