Reload this Page >

Doctors entering on K1???

Doctors entering on K1???

Old Mar 25th 2001, 8:49 am
Kent Lind

Hi folks:

I was reading the K1 interview experiences at this web site:

http://www.kamya.com/interview/

And my heart almost stopped when I came across this from Mark and Marcia's experience
in Brazil.:

" He was basically interested in 3 things: 1. was Márcia planning on being a
physician in the U.S.? (fortunately no, if "yes" she would have to pass 3 medical
board exams before receiving her visa and still have to do years of residencies and
internships in the U.S. before being able to practice),"

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Must we apply for a different type of visa than a
K1? Are there any obstacles to working as a medical resident in the US under the EAD
or conditional resident status?

My fiancee is a pediatrician in Chile finishing her 2nd year of residency. Our plan
is that she will spend the summer studying for the boards and take them in the US
this coming fall prior to applying for US residency programs. And that she would
enter a US residency program in July 2002 using either EAD or conditional permanent
resident status if we have it by then.

If she must take the boards in Chile before entering the US (or apply for a different
visa) then our plans are going to change radically.

Thanks for any advice.

Kent (US) and Isabel (Chile)

NSC K1 Received 1/31/01 1st NOA 02/12/01

Old Mar 26th 2001, 7:37 am
Ben Johnson

Kent,

There are two completly different issues here, and neither really, relate to
the other.

You will have no problem bringing your fiance to the US on a K-1 visa, no matter what
her occupation is or will be (legal of course Her practicing medicine is not an
issue, the INS or state dept. should be concerned with.

After she is here, whether she will be able to practice medicine or not, is up to the
State Medical Board which licences medical doctors in your state...... also you may
wish to look at http://www.ecfmg.org (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical
Graduates )

Ben

--
[email protected]

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 27th 2001, 6:43 am
evalcampbell

If it helps, this is almost the same position I am in. An EAD or cond. green card
will allow you to work. However to work in medicine you must have an ecfmg
certificate - to get this you must past steps 1 & 2 usmle, the csa in philadelphia
and an english proficiency test. Once you hold an ecfmg cert, then there should be
no problem in gaining state licensure. As long as you hold the ecfmg, there should
be no issue about your ability to work in medicine, both the EAD and cond, green
card permit that. Hope this helps and good luck with the exams - I know how hard
they are Eva

Old Mar 27th 2001, 8:10 am
Kent Lind

Thanks Eva.

Our plan is for Isabel to spend the summer studying for steps 1 and 2 and apply for
pediatrics residency programs this coming fall for the 2002 match. She already passed
them the first time around in Chile (they use the same boards down there) but the
scores are too old so she gets to do it all over again.

Isabel is well aware of the licensing procedures and such. Our question was whether
residency programs would accept an EAD or cond green card. It seems that will be no
problem and the advice given in Brazil was wrong.

-Kent-

On 27 Mar 2001 19:43:57 GMT, [email protected] (Eva Campbell) wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >