Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa returning to country of residence

K1 visa returning to country of residence

Old Apr 6th 2019, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Monat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 visa returning to country of residence

Ok. So me and my partner have decided to do the fiancé visa. I just don’t want to be away from my husband but I could be away from my fiancé.

I know now that this visa means I can’t work but I plan on returning and working my ass off!

im still in the USA now and I will be leaving before my visa ends.

I would like to know..

My country of residence is Uk however I’ve lived in Norway for a long time and if I return over seas I would like to go back to Norway for my happiness.

Id like to return to Norway whilst the visa is being processed to work and live and save money!

Is is this possible ?

My mail can still go to the same place as usual, and I’m thinking that’s why it says country of residence?

I can always return to collect mail and also fly to London for medical, that’s no issue, but I do not want to return to Uk for 8 -12 months if I can stop it.

I would also also like some advice on our visa.

My fiancé is in USA and he will be applying to bring me over.

Does he need a lawyer or is the process straight forward?

We will have financial sponsor however we want to to the visa by our selves.

Is this possible?

Thank you for all your responses
Old Apr 7th 2019, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 visa returning to country of residence

Why not interview in Norway?

Most people DIY.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 12:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monat
Ok. So me and my partner have decided to do the fiancé visa. I just don’t want to be away from my husband but I could be away from my fiancé. I
know now that this visa means I can’t work but I plan on returning and working my ass off!

Hope you plan on working your ass off in Norway before the K-1 visa is issued. Once the K-1 visa is in your passport and you enter the US, you are landlocked until you get your employment authorization document (EAD) and advance parole (A/P). They are usually both on the same card.

I'm still in the USA now and I will be leaving before my visa ends.
Why did you need a visa to enter the US? As a Brit you should have used the Visa Waiver Program. Did you complete the ESTA for approval to use the VWP. Or do you have a criminal history that doesn't allow you to use the VWP.

I would like to know..

My country of residence is Uk however I’ve lived in Norway for a long time and if I return over seas I would like to go back to Norway for my happiness.

Id like to return to Norway whilst the visa is being processed to work and live and save money!

Is is this possible ?
Of course it is possible. You can live anywhere in the world that allows you to reside. The one place you cannot live and wait out the timeline for the Fiancee Visa is in the US. It will take 10 to 16 months for completion.

In fact, you can have your fiancé insert the US Consulate in the appropriate city in Norway for your intended visa interview. It doesn't have to be in the UK if you have legal right to reside in Norway.

My mail can still go to the same place as usual, and I’m thinking that’s why it says country of residence?
Country of residence is the country you are living in. For you that is Norway so you would put your address in Norway.

I can always return to collect mail and also fly to London for medical, that’s no issue, but I do not want to return to Uk for 8 -12 months if I can stop it.
See my comments above.

I would also also like some advice on our visa.

My fiancé is in USA and he will be applying to bring me over.

Does he need a lawyer or is the process straight forward?
99% of us did it ourselves.

We will have financial sponsor however we want to to the visa by our selves.
Why do you need a financial sponsor other than your fiancé? Does he not work?

Old Apr 7th 2019, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Monat is an unknown quantity at this point

Why did you need a visa to enter the US? As a Brit you should have used the Visa Waiver Program. Did you complete the ESTA for approval to use the VWP. Or do you have a criminal history that doesn't allow you to use the VWP.
(tourist visa 90 days !)
I’m squeaky clean

Of course it is possible. You can live anywhere in the world that allows you to reside. The one place you cannot live and wait out the timeline for the Fiancee Visa is in the US. It will take 10 to 16 months for completion. In fact, you can have your fiancé insert the US Consulate in the appropriate city in Norway for your intended visa interview. It doesn't have to be in the UK if you have legal right to reside in Norway.
Does he have to fly to Norway for interview or is that just for me?

Country of residence is the country you are living in. For you that is Norway so you would put your address in Norway.
If we apply before I leave, I haven’t a set place to live yet in Norway. Does that make sense ??? So I would but my Uk residence and then move to Norway to find a place and work. Yes I’ll be making enough and more money for sure.

99% of us did it ourselves.
That’s awesome. I like the fact that we can do it ourselves.

Why do you need a financial sponsor other than your fiancé? Does he not work?
I have enough money myself, but my partner works as a waiter and is transitioning into another position. He earns 20k but I feel like financial sponsors would also pack our case.

(Just my thoughts) he also has criminal records from his past which I know won’t effect the visa but it does hold him accountable now in progression of career, and one of them is still being proceed so.. (nothing crazy, he just made stupid decision and has to pay for it)

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 7th 2019 at 2:30 pm. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:50 am
Account Closed

His criminal past can be an issue.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

90 day tourist visa... Please elaborate? Are you sure it isn't the visa waiver program?

Regarding criminal record, elaborate on that too. Could make this a non-DIY case...
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

(tourist visa 90 days !)

There's no such thing as a 90-day tourist visa. There is a B1/B2 visa which actually gets stuck on a page in your passport which allows up to 6 months in the USA, or there is the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) which allows 90 days in the USA without the need for a visa. In order to use the VWP, you first need to complete and get approved an ESTA travel authorization. Since you mention 90 days, I'm guessing you used the VWP, and there was no visa. I am being picky on this because you will have to learn that terminology is very important in the immigration world. and you need to learn the correct terms.

Does he have to fly to Norway for interview or is that just for me?
The visa interview is just for you. The USC does not need to be there.

I have enough money myself, but my partner works as a waiter and is transitioning into another position. He earns 20k but I feel like financial sponsors would also pack our case.
For a K-1 visa, there can only be 1 sponsor. The sponsor does not have to be the USC fiance, it can be anyone living in the USA who earns enough income at the 100% poverty level for their own household size plus you (look at form I-864P for the current figures. If you yourself have enough savings, you could possibly self-sponsor. You'd have to look at the I-864P, look at that 100% column figure, and multiply that by 3. If you have that amount of savings (not income, as your income in the UK doesn't count), then perhaps you can try self-sponsoring.

(Just my thoughts) he also has criminal records from his past which I know won’t effect the visa but it does hold him accountable now in progression of career, and one of them is still being proceed so.. (nothing crazy, he just made stupid decision and has to pay for it)
His criminal record might affect things, no way of knowing until we know what the criminal activity was.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

Norway would not have self sponsorship and in the UK it is not 3x. Seems to be what you need for 90 days.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

(tourist visa 90 days !)
I’m squeaky clean

Others have touched on this

I believe you can self-sponsor yourself for the K-1 visa, especially if you go through the US Embassy in London. When it comes to the time you marry and file for adjustment of status, your husband MUST be your primary financial sponsor. You can, at that time, have a joint sponsor.

As for HIS criminal record, depending on the crime(s), he might have a problem. At most, if they are crimes of abuse, you will be notified of his criminal record.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Only through the Consulates in the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 4:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Your fiancé's criminal record will impact your K-1 application because of the International Marriage Brokers Regulation Act (IMBRA).

As is common with US legislation, not all clauses of the law are directly linked to the name of the law, and the fact that you might not have used a "marriage broker" doesn't alter the fact that some clauses of the law will be pertinent to your visa application.