K1 Visa - Reccomended Attorney?

Wikiposts

K1 Visa - Reccomended Attorney?

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:04 am
Just Joined

mcwales is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile K1 Visa - Reccomended Attorney?

Hi all,

I'm new to all this but have been reading a number of posts and found it very useful!!

My Fiancee (a US citizen) and I (British Citizen) are about to start looking into the K1 Visa process as we feel now is the right time.

Can anyone from past experiences recommend a good attorney who helped them with the process?

I have read a number of webpages that say having an attorney is a better way of completing the application and making sure everything is correct. is this true?

Many thanks and any help would be greatly received!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa - Reccomended Attorney?

Originally Posted by mcwales
I have read a number of webpages that say having an attorney is a better way of completing the application and making sure everything is correct. is this true?
Hi and welcome to BE!

The choice is really yours whether to hire an attorney or not. If you have a very straightforward case (i.e., no criminal past, no visa overstay issues, etc), then it's possible to do the process yourself without an attorney, but you have to be diligent, focused, committed to following through on every detail, willing to read a lot of forms, instructions, websites, and you have to be very organized. If forms and the process intimidate you, or if you are generally unsure of things, having an attorney is helpful as a security measure. The attorney will help you get the forms together, he'll do the filing, he'll keep track of your case, etc. The one thing an attorney can't do is speed up the process.

Some folks used an attorney, some didn't....just really depends on your own comfort level, and whether you have any skeletons in your closet (regarding the criminal or other visa issues).

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:22 am
Just Joined

mcwales is an unknown quantity at this point

We both have no past criminal convictions or anything like that but we liked the idea of an attorney as, as you say they can help with filing and forms etc.

Was asking as not sure whether to go down that route or not?

Have any BE users used an attorney - if so would you recommend it?

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We both have no past criminal convictions or anything like that but we liked the idea of an attorney as, as you say they can help with filing and forms etc.

Was asking as not sure whether to go down that route or not?

Have any BE users used an attorney - if so would you recommend it?

Thanks for the advice!
You can take a look here and make some initial contact with a few, to inquire about rates and such...

www.ailalawyer.com.

Way back when I was a newbie, I didn't even know which visa to go for. I had a consultation with an immigration attorney to guide me. She suggested the K-1 route, and I went ahead and hired her. However, I found out the fee I paid was ONLY for the filing of the I-129F, and it was going to cost more to use her for the rest of the process. By that time, I had done more research and found this forum, and figured I can get through the rest on my own....which I did. So the lawyer filed the initial I-129F, but I did the rest of the K-1 process, his AOS, his removal of conditional, and his citizenship (in process now) all on my own.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:13 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

mcw,

What's "better" is very subjective, depending on each individual's abilities, personality, and situation.

Having a consultation with an attorney to review the 'rules of the game' and the details of one's own particular situation is always a good idea and will help them to decide what's better for them.

Regards, JEff

Hi all,

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure that when it comes to filling out forms, the attorney does it... not her/his paralegal assistant. You'll be paying big bucks... make sure it gets done right.

Regardless of whether or not you use an attorney, *you* are the one responsible for filing the right forms, on time, and completely, with all the required backup documentation. To do that properly, *you* need to know what forms to file, and when, and to have all the appropriate documentation in your hands! Your attorney isn't going to get that stuff for you.

Think about it for a moment... *you* are responsible, *you* need to get all the stuff beforehand anyway, and if the attorney makes a mistake, *you* are the one who will suffer the consequences. Sort of makes you want to do it yourself, eh?

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Be sure that when it comes to filling out forms, the attorney does it... not her/his paralegal assistant.
Disagree! If the attorney has crappy paralegals, he'll be a crappy attorney. If the attorney has good paralegals, he'll probably be a good-un, too.

It's like insisting ONLY the doctor gives you injections for your hospital stay -- you'll be bruised all over!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

fb,

I agree. You've got me thinking of our own Mr.F. If I needed an immigration attorney he's one I'd try to retain. But based on the spelling and syntax exhibited in his posts, I'd want his paralegals to be the ones who do the paperwork.

On a more serious note, I would expect my attorney to base their fee on how much time they expect to spend at the attorney rate and how much time they expect a paralegal to spend at a (lower) paralegal rate. An attorney, or any other professional service provider, who bases their fee wholly on the professional rate with the knowledge that some of the work will be performed by lower level staff is a shyster.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Disagree! If the attorney has crappy paralegals, he'll be a crappy attorney. If the attorney has good paralegals, he'll probably be a good-un, too.

It's like insisting ONLY the doctor gives you injections for your hospital stay -- you'll be bruised all over!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If the legal firm is more than just the attorney and has a paralegal on staff, then the paralegal is the one that will complete the forms from the information received from the client. The client may give that info to the atty who passes it on or give it to the paralegal during a session with the attorney. Any attorney with 1/2 a brain will hire a competent paralegal, especially if the atty only have 1/2 a brain or has a busy practice. The paralegal will cover their mistakes or point out areas that need clarification, etc.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 22nd 2009 at 6:41 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

rgnscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I'm new to all this but have been reading a number of posts and found it very useful!!

My Fiancee (a US citizen) and I (British Citizen) are about to start looking into the K1 Visa process as we feel now is the right time.

Can anyone from past experiences recommend a good attorney who helped them with the process?

hi..

i have pm'd you.. hope this helps..

aggy x
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rgnscot
hi..

i have pm'd you.. hope this helps..

aggy x
It certainly didn't help anyone else, did it?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Hi:

Matt Udall [email protected], sometimes participant in this forum, does nothing but marriage visas, his charges are quite reasonable, and he is a "hands on" guy -- e.g. he personally does the work.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Matt Udall [email protected], sometimes participant in this forum, does nothing but marriage visas, his charges are quite reasonable, and he is a "hands on" guy -- e.g. he personally does the work.
And Prod Matt to get a web site back up again ...
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:53 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Ray
And Prod Matt to get a web site back up again ...
It was probably bought by a museum.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It was probably bought by a museum.
Too bad you already got karma'd today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.