Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa Q interview locations?

K1 visa Q interview locations?

Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:56 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa Q interview locations?

Why do so many people write "we have not heard anything" when in fact they have heard something"?
Originally Posted by Stoutbanana
My USC fiancee sent off the K1 application at the beginning of August '12 and we have not heard anything back.
She got a confirmation they had received the paperwork and the fee was taken out of her bank account.

You're missing the more important point - having a return ticket is a requirement for being granted entry to the USA under the VWP. You may not be asked if you have a return ticket, but if you are asked and you don't have one you will not be granted entry.

If the airline staff is doing its job, you won't be allowed to board for a VWP trip to the USA without a return ticket, because if you are denied entry the airline is obligated to take you back whence you came whether or not you have a return ticket.
I could have a return ticket but it is not proof I intend to return.
I am leaving San Diego next week returning to Yorkshire for two weeks and then I have a one way ticket back to San Diego at the end of Feb.
Regards, JEff
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

Yes that is what we are doing now and it is getting kinda expensive! There is plenty of stuff we could be spending our money on instead of airfares and the two of us living apart!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Why do so many people write "we have not heard anything" when in fact they have heard something"?
Well point taken but I was thinking along the lines of not heard anything back 'important' whereas I see a letter of acknowledgement as a given.

You're missing the more important point - having a return ticket is a requirement for being granted entry to the USA under the VWP. You may not be asked if you have a return ticket, but if you are asked and you don't have one you will not be granted entry.

If the airline staff is doing its job, you won't be allowed to board for a VWP trip to the USA without a return ticket, because if you are denied entry the airline is obligated to take you back whence you came whether or not you have a return ticket.
I know that and if I need a return then I'll book another round trip, there is a return ticket after all.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Off to SD now to pick up a passport...thank you everone :-)
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:07 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Over what period of time?
This is my 4th trip here ...
So what? Not overstaying means that you can continue to use the VWP, it does not mean that you should be granted entry as a visitor.
... and I have left each time well before the 90 day deadline. I have no intention of overstaying the 90 days.
So you spent more than 5 months where?
Last year I spent nearly 7 months in the UK.
"my" US address? Watch your language when speaking with CBP officers, and hope that this information is does not come out when you are inspected on your return.
I am selling two of my properties and the third is rented out so I won't have a UK address and I will get my post redirected to my US address.
Not for a visa. If you were adjusting status ... but let's not get into that.
Is it possible for me to have interviews here in the USA rather than returning to the UK for the interview? Has anyone managed to do this?
Regards, JEff
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

'My US address is my fiancees house, the one I declare I am staying at during my visit'

I first visited early October 2011 for five weeks then returned the end Nov for 85 days then stayed under 83 days from Feb through May 2012 and I returned end of Nov '12 to San Diego

Last edited by Stoutbanana; Feb 6th 2013 at 9:18 am.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It would just be a whole lot easier to do it here in SD but I would still have to return to the UK at some point to tie up some loose ends
I'd hardly call "attending your medical, going to your interview and awaiting delivery of your passport with visa stuck inside" tying up loose ends.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:48 am

I sense that you may be missing my point, which I agree was not well made. If the only address you have is in the USA, and all of your mail is now to be forwarded to the USA, it just doesn't feel right should the questioning at the POE bring it to light. Be careful how you answer questions - you don't want to be misleading, but neither do you want to 'shoot yourself in the foot' unnecessarily.
'My US address is my fiancees house, the one I declare I am staying at during my visit'.
So that's 4 visits within 16 months and you'll be back for a 5th? I will be anxiously awaiting your report.
I first visited early October 2011 for five weeks then returned the end Nov for 85 days then stayed under 83 days from Feb through May 2012 and I returned end of Nov '12 to San Diego
Regards, JEff
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

So that's 4 visits within 16 months and you'll be back for a 5th? I will be anxiously awaiting your report.

Regards, JEff
I returned on the 28th and the POE officer sent me to secondary. I waited for about 30 mins before sitting down with another officer. He asked me how long I intended to stay and I said 'up to 90 days but it will be probably a lot less as I was waiting for the paperwork for the visa application to be sent from the embassy in London. Then he asked my girlfriends name and when/where we met (I have been asked that several times before) I said my fiancee is called Diana...... and told him the answer. Then he asked when she applied and I told him. He said she did not apply for a fiancee visa but a I129f visa. I just said 'oh ok I must have been mistaken.
He didn't ask if I had any money on me, but he did ask what I did for work and I told him I am retired and he asked me what I did do for work.
He asked why I had arrived on a single ticket and it told him it was bought on points by Diana and she had booked me a round trip on May 25th. I was trying to find it on my American phone app but there was no signal. I said if he wanted I could call Diana and find out the details or he could speak with her. He did a lot of typing, maybe he was looking on the AA website for the flight?
He stamped my passport and said 'don't do anything to jeopardise the visa application'. I said 'I won't ...thank you...bye!'
I then had 30 mins to make the flight and it was in a different terminal, more TSA and all that entails. No time for the Admirals club but I did get another meal and drinks on the flight.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:57 am

Thanks for the report.

This part illustrates the need to understand the different agencies and their different roles with respect to immigration processes, and the importance of asking questions of the correct agency if one wants to get accurate information. In this case, don't get visa information from CBP!

Regards, JEff

He said she did not apply for a fiancee visa but a I129f visa. I just said 'oh ok I must have been mistaken.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Sounds about right... I guess the CBP are not interested in what I'm applying for, just if I have the correct status to gain entry to the USA whatever that may be.

Maybe he could see the round trip I have booked with AA, it is showing on my phone app leaving on May 25th. As soon as I said I could call and find out the details he kinda gave in and stamped my passport!