Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa port of entry questions

K1 visa port of entry questions

Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:44 am
Just Joined

stumac76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 visa port of entry questions

I am due to leave for America in two weeks with my fiance and our daughter. I consider myself lucky at this point to have been approved for my visa as I had some run ins with the law in the past. I had a few drunk and disorderly arrests years ago when I was young and thought it would be cool to mouth off to the cops in front of my friends. I've changed my ways and grown up a lot, but I have this fear that my past will come back to haunt me and I will be denied at the port of entry because they will say that I should have gotten a waiver and the embassy made a mistake in approving me. Is this possible? Two of my arrests, the maximum penalty could have been 6 months in jail but the others the maximum penalty is level 3 fines (I have no idea what that means). I don't want to be separated from my fiance and our daughter, they mean the world to me. I just want to know what I'm facing and what my options are. Would I have to go back to England if I need to get a waiver?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa port of entry questions

I assume you declared all this prior to obtaining the visa?

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I assume you declared all this prior to obtaining the visa?

Rene
Yes. The arrests showed up on my ACRO and the consular officer asked for a brief explanation of the circumstances, of course I answered honestly to the best of my ability, the arrests were so far back that I couldn't remember every little detail. She said that it was fine and there shouldn't be anything to worry about. She said I was on the right track. My concern is that I've read posts about people who have been denied entry at the poe with a visa because they required a waiver due to criminal records. I don't know if any of my arrests fall under that category.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumac76
I've read posts about people who have been denied entry at the poe with a visa because they required a waiver due to criminal records.
How many posts did you read where someone was denied entry because the CBP officer decided the ConOff was wrong and the person required a waiver? How many other posts did you read where someone was allowed to enter because a waiver was a non-issue? My guess... you concentrated on the former and ignored the latter - even though the latter is the vast majority and the former only a fraction of a tiny handful. Yet you believe you fall into the first group! I suggest you stop reading... it's not good for your health.

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2015, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How many posts did you read where someone was denied entry because the CBP officer decided the ConOff was wrong and the person required a waiver? How many other posts did you read where someone was allowed to enter because a waiver was a non-issue? My guess... you concentrated on the former and ignored the latter - even though the latter is the vast majority and the former only a fraction of a tiny handful. Yet you believe you fall into the first group! I suggest you stop reading... it's not good for your health.

Ian
Yes I did focus on the latter. I've given up my job and my home, I'm making a move halfway across the world and there is a slight chance that I may be separated from my fiance and our daughter. I can deal with being jobless and homeless. I can't deal with being without my family. All I want to know is if my arrest history is something that I would need a waiver for so I can prepare myself for the fact that I might have not even get a chance to say goodbye to my daughter and fiance before they ship me back to the uk.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 2:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you needed a waiver, the suggestion for that would have happened at the consular level. Since you were issued a K-1 visa, you should be OK to get through the POE.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2015, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you needed a waiver, the suggestion for that would have happened at the consular level. Since you were issued a K-1 visa, you should be OK to get through the POE.

Rene
Thank you. I hope so.