Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa (planning for the future)

K1 Visa (planning for the future)

Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa (planning for the future)

Originally Posted by chris23
what i mean is gettin to the greencard stage it seems CR-1 takes 8-10months where as the research tends to show that K-1 takes 2-3 years to get to the same stage plus more spending money and more forms
It was almost 3 years for me and Sheila from the date we filed the K-1 petition to the time I got the GC in my hot little hands! For many people, that length of time would almost certainly drive them insane... but we were a bit older, were financially stable, and looked at the immigration process as an adventure! Oh... it really helps to have a good sense of humour. You'll need it.

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

My apologies for misunderstanding, I thought you wanted to actually make the move to the USA in 2010. I see now you meant 2012.

I agree with everyone, you have THREE whole years before you are even ready to file the very first form. A lot can change in three years immigration-wise. Do some initial casual research now, as you are doing. Keep up with what's required for your immigration (whichever route you choose). Then at some point in 2011, get serious about it again and start the process. In the meantime, don't stress over things like getting denied. Don't overstay the VWP, and don't get into any criminal trouble, and you should be fine when the time comes to start the process.

There's really nothing you can actively do to get started right now, just do your research (knowing that things may change by the time you're actually ready to start yours).

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys!!!!

Just got back from work

Thanks for al your replies!!!!

Yea i would think that im worrying about it all toooo much :s

EJ3!! what made you decide to go that route??? any advice you could give things you have encountered on the way???

Rene, thanks for your reply also!!! yea sorry i was not clear in my first post!! but thanks for getting back to me with the advice!!!

Lyn, I think the general idea from everybody is to do what is best for you!! i have as everyone says three years to sort things out!! i think with what you have said, i will be pursuing the CR-1 when it comes to it but i need to sit down with my GF over xmas and really plow through all of the info!! The big wedding on a planned date seems better for all parties

Ian, how was your experience with the K-1?? any hiccupps along the way or was the 3 year wait due to backlog or what???? cheers for the advice and no doubt i will be keeping my ear close the the forum and keep all of you guys updated on whats the deal in the future

Lyn, have great start in a couple of weeks

Tracy, Thanks soooo much for all your help, much appreciated!!! yea i agree that the info shows that the appeal situation will most prob not be an issue for us!! but i wanted to know what forms do i need to research??? im going to download them all if i can then read through them and see whats going on with that etc

Thanks to all of you!!! you have al been great and a big help in making sense of a major brain masher for me

Chris
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, how was your experience with the K-1?? any hiccupps along the way or was the 3 year wait due to backlog or what?
For us, the K-1 experience was quite painless, smooth, and generally enjoyable! We had *no* hiccups along the way and at the time we applied, there was *no* backlog.

To be fair... when we applied, the K-1 was still a relatively new visa, the Internet newsgroup "alt.visa.us.marriage-based" did not yet exist (several of the regular posters here were there at the beginning), and it would be another 4 years before the twin towers fell. Okay... so this was in 1997. Sheila and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary earlier this year, and I've been a USC for 4+ years now.

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:28 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance and I decided to apply for the K1 visa as we thought it was the most suitable option for us. He is still at university so needs to be based in the US for at least the next year, possibly two. It makes more sense for me to move there as the US is where we would both like our future to be (thank goodness we could agree )

We have not encountered any significant problems yet. We are waiting for approval for our I-129F petition- the first stage of our K1 journey. This forum helps a lot, as I'm sure you know.

In my opinion it is very important for both partners to be committed with whichever route you both choose, making things come together is always a joint process.

On another subject, congratulations Ian on your 10th Anniversary!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratuations indeed Ian!!! Fantastic stuff!!!!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratuations indeed Ian!!! Fantastic stuff!!!!
Chris, the forms you'll need to research are at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms.

For the K-1: I-129F, G-325A, I-134
For the AOS from a K-1: I-485, G-325A, I-765, I-131, I-864.

For CR-1: I-130, G-325A, I-864.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all

I'm really glad I found this thread! My fiance and I (I'm USC, he's UK) have been trying to come up with a plan for the next year or so. After this semester of uni, I have one more year left to do (extra semester, bah). We met back in December after first talking in April 2007, and I just got back from spending almost three months with him and his parents. I've got more school to finish, and I really need to get a job eventually to help pay for things, not to mention an internship (need a paid one! so hard to find, sometimes). So we were looking at like at LEAST 5 months without seeing each other after this Christmas.

We were originally planning on going the K-1 route, but after finding this thread, I think the CR-1 is the best route for us. Him being able to find work immediately upon arriving in the US is really important for us.

He's coming to visit me for a month from October to November. So, we're thinking about just doing the whole justice of the peace deal and getting married while he's here.

I had a few questions about the CR-1 as well, though.

1. What is the latest time that we would be able to send out the I-130 form after we get married?

2. This is my fiance's first visit to the US, so I don't know how bad the US immigration officers are or not (I know, depends). I was SO freaked out about going to the UK for three months straight (I told them I would only be staying for two, but it's no big deal since their VWP is for 6 months, instead of our 90 days). I thought I might be denied because of not enough money, even though his parents and him would be housing me and everything. The IO asked me three questions, not even pertaining to all the things I organized for proof I would be leaving, and let me through! I was so relieved.

I guess my question is, when my fiance comes to visit and the IO asks why is he visiting, should he say to visit his fiancee, or his girlfriend? I don't know if that sends up red flags for them, if they think he'd try to stay illegally or not. He will have a return ticket, though.

I guess that's all my questions on this for now, but this thread and entire forum is extremely helpful! Thank you in advance for any responses!

*EDIT*

One more question! Is it not a good idea for my fiance (well, husband by this point) to come to the US to visit me while we're waiting for the visa to get approve? Or should he just not visit for long amounts of time? And what about me leaving the country for just a few weeks here and there to visit him? I wouldn't think it'd be a problem, but I felt I should ask.

And good luck, Chris!

Last edited by badlydrawnmegan; Sep 4th 2008 at 1:46 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Megan is it??

Thanks for the kind wishes!!

I think the general rule is if they ask, always be honest but if they do not ask then just say you are visiting friends!! I visit 3 times a year to the US to see my GF and no probs!!

1. Not sure on this one....... I think as long as you guys are married then you can send in the papers whenever

2. As I said just be kl and be honest if they ask for info! Never overstay the 90days and just enjoy the experience

Have a browse round for a bit on the forum there is so much info here about both routes k1 and cr1 so check it out but plz keep posting here to keep us updated on your progress!!

Take care and hope I helped!!

Chris
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
1. What is the latest time that we would be able to send out the I-130 form after we get married?
The latest time? Or did you mean the earliest time? The latest time would be anytime later on after you get the certified copy of the marriage certificate in hand after marriage. You dont' have to file right away, you can file years later if you want. If you meant when is the earliest time, you can file as soon as you have the certified copy of the marriage certificate in hand.

I guess my question is, when my fiance comes to visit and the IO asks why is he visiting, should he say to visit his fiancee, or his girlfriend? I don't know if that sends up red flags for them, if they think he'd try to stay illegally or not. He will have a return ticket, though.
He can say he's visiting for pleasure (as opposed to business). He should answer ONLY the specific question asked, and not offer extra information. If they ask very specifically, are you here to get married to your fiance? He should say yes, and not lie. But he shouldn't volunteer that information. And, in case they DO ask such a question, he should bring proof that he intends and needs to return to the UK at his appointed time.

One more question! Is it not a good idea for my fiance (well, husband by this point) to come to the US to visit me while we're waiting for the visa to get approve? Or should he just not visit for long amounts of time? And what about me leaving the country for just a few weeks here and there to visit him? I wouldn't think it'd be a problem, but I felt I should ask.
That is not a problem. Rule of thumb is not to make back-to-back visits. Spend more time outside the country you're visiting than inside it (i.e., come for 90 days, be gone longer than 90 days). Always bring proof of your ties to your home country, in case they ask at the POE.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
What is the latest time that we would be able to send out the I-130 form after we get married?
The latest time? Once you have a copy of your marriage certificate, you can file that day or 10 years from then. There's no time limit. Of course, the sooner you file, the sooner your husband will get the visa.

I guess my question is, when my fiance comes to visit and the IO asks why is he visiting, should he say to visit his fiancee, or his girlfriend?
While it's never a good idea to lie to an IO, he can safely say he's visiting friends and let it go like that. He should *not* volunteer information not specifically asked. IOW, if the IO asks, "Are you visiting your girlfriend?" the answer is "Yes!" If asked, "Do you know what time it is?" the answer is either "Yes" or "No"... and nothing else! So... "visiting friends" should be fine. Be certain he does not overstay his visa.

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

you can go see him here in the UK but I don't think he should go see you till it's all sorted but have a check back and I'm sure people will either agree or disagree with me!! A week ago I knew nothing about this visa craziness!! Just take your time and get a muffin and some coco and plow through the thousands of pages
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

you can go see him here in the UK but I don't think he should go see you till it's all sorted but have a check back and I'm sure people will either agree or disagree with me!! A week ago I knew nothing about this visa craziness!! Just take your time and get a muffin and some coco and plow through the thousands of pages
He is allowed to visit the US. But he could be looked at more carefully, he'd need to bring plenty of proof that he intends to return to the UK.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The latest time? Or did you mean the earliest time? The latest time would be anytime later on after you get the certified copy of the marriage certificate in hand after marriage. You dont' have to file right away, you can file years later if you want. If you meant when is the earliest time, you can file as soon as you have the certified copy of the marriage certificate in hand.
No, I meant latest. I read on the wiki for CR-1 that it's for marriages younger than two years? Seemed a bit odd to me and a bit rushed. It's good to know that I can wait a few months after we receive our marriage certificates to file the I-130.

Yes, I will tell him not to lie to the IO if he asks something straightforward. I suppose when the IO says "what are you doing here?", my fiance can just say visiting for pleasure (huh, that sounds a bit naughty). And if they ask specifically who, then I suppose he should say "fiance" instead of girlfriend then? Even though he'll be staying with me in my apartment and some at my parents' house, he'll have enough money on him, a return ticket, and a letter from his employer expecting him back to work after he returns to the UK. That should be fine then.

Thanks for clearing up about the visiting issue! I appreciate it!

And Chris, just saw your reply. Before the beginning of this year, I knew nothing about all of these processes either! You'll learn loads these three years you're waiting. Don't be too bothered by it. It's hard a lot, but I think it helps to make plans about your next visit with each other as quickly as possible after the last one!

Megan

Last edited by badlydrawnmegan; Sep 4th 2008 at 2:06 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While it's never a good idea to lie to an IO, he can safely say he's visiting friends and let it go like that. He should *not* volunteer information not specifically asked. IOW, if the IO asks, "Are you visiting your girlfriend?" the answer is "Yes!" If asked, "Do you know what time it is?" the answer is either "Yes" or "No"... and nothing else! So... "visiting friends" should be fine. Be certain he does not overstay his visa.
Thanks for the advice! And he won't overstay his visa, he's not got the vacation time to, haha.

Megan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.