Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 visa interview experience.

K1 visa interview experience.

Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

iJoey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 visa interview experience.

Hey all, I figured I'd post this for those it would be beneficial too, I know when I was awaiting my interview it helped to read other peoples experiences to know what to expect and all that. It may be a little long but here it is anyway -

So my interview was scheduled for 8:00 am on March 19th and you have to arrive about thirty minutes early. I'm fortunate enough to live only about 50 minutes outside of London, so I could get the 5:20 am train to allow time for walking to the embassy from the tube and about twenty minutes on the tube.

I arrived a little early at around 7:20 am anyway and there was already a line formed outside of the embassy. After about ten minutes of waiting a lady came down the line instructing everyone to get out their interview letters and DS-160 forms to show to the people at the front of the line, she told me as I was a K1 visa I should go straight to the front. Great! There was only about four people in front of me in this new line and I was pointed into the direction of security. Same old same old, all metals in container etc nothing new to expect here.

You enter up some steps round the side and get your ticket - I was I-905, so I knew that meant I was the fifth immigrant visa of the day. I sat in the large waiting room for about half an hour (it was empty as it hadn't even gone 8:00am yet but it got busy VERY quickly) with a large screen that comes up with your numbers and windows that stretch round a corner (kinda like a glorified Argos haha) Though it was still a little nerve wracking. My number came up and I went to the first window with my package in hand containing all the copies and paperwork I was instructed to bring. The guy was super friendly, and was actually from a town about an hour drive from where I'm moving to, so we joked about the area for a while while he asked for my documents. He only took in ONE copy of all the papers I'd brought with me, which was the affidavit, the tax return, my interview letter, and police check and only oen coloured photo, he asked how recent it was and I told him only about a month. I asked if he wanted the copies to which he said no so I was a little confused as to why they make a big deal about have two of everything, but better to have them and have them not ask than to not, and have them ask. He didn't even seem too fussed about seeing the USC birth certificate for my sponsor which I thought was strange. Anyway after that he told me to sit back down and wait for my interview with the officer.

I went and sat back in the waiting room and waited patiently for my number to come up again, it felt like forever, but was only about 45 minutes. I went to the window to be greeted by a very cheery American lady who asked when I met my fiance for the first time in person and how long we'd known each other, she then asked me to raise my right hand and swear it was all true to the best of my knowledge yada yada. She flicked through my application and commented on the fact I could get married in St. Louis (We're a same sex couple) and I told her it's legal within the county and the state is pending the repeal of it's ban on same sex marriage. She told me she didn't know 'Missouri was one of the good ones' which we laughed about and she then looked at the affidavit - confused she asked where my fiance's one was. I told her I wasn't aware (which I totally wasn't) that even if your fiance didn't meet the income requirements apparently he had to file an i-134 aswell. as the sponsor. I was honest and told her I didn't know that was necessary and she comically said ' you know what I don't care, it all looks fine to me anyway'

she then typed my name into a system to make sure I was all 'clean' she told me they had no 'dirt on me' and that I was approved with a big smile on her face! A little dumbfounded I asked if she needed any other paperwork (I'd brought tonnes of copies, evidence of relationship, bank statements) or needed to ask me any more questions and she said no it was fine and 'good luck with your new life in America'

And that was it! I was a little mad at myself for being so nervous about the whole ordeal, I know it largely comes down to who you're seen by and maybe if I was seen by an old grumpy republican through and through guy it may have gone differently for me but it couldn't have gone better and I'm so happy!

I think as long as you're organised, have everything in order, look presentable and give them direct answers you're going to be fine.
Sorry if It's long but that was my experience, it was all over by 9:15 am and I went straight home to nap after waking at 4:00 am haha!

Good luck to all who are attending interviews soon, I hope it goes as well for you as mine did for me.

All the best expats.

Joey
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 visa interview experience.

Originally Posted by iJoey
... she then looked at the affidavit - confused she asked where my fiance's one was. I told her I wasn't aware (which I totally wasn't) that even if your fiance didn't meet the income requirements apparently he had to file an i-134 aswell. as the sponsor. I was honest and told her I didn't know that was necessary and she comically said ' you know what I don't care, it all looks fine to me anyway'
There is no such requirement for the I-134 - you are correct.

And that was it! I was a little mad at myself for being so nervous about the whole ordeal...
Congratulations. Most people report that the actual interview is largely anticlimactic.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

yay congrats!!! see you on this side o pond lol
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
yay congrats!!! see you on this side o pond lol
Thank you! Am looking forward to it! Only ten more days
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iJoey
Thank you! Am looking forward to it! Only ten more days
ah i remember it well - 4 years ago for me!! AND im still here!!!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

I can't imagine how quickly time has flown!
Especially the first year with all the adjustment / driving licence/ health care stuff / EAD to get out the way!
Hope you're enjoying your (not so) new life in America!