Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa, how long is it's validity

K1 Visa, how long is it's validity

Old Mar 5th 2002, 8:05 am
Zik

Default K1 Visa, how long is it's validity

Hello ,

usually from what i have read on the NG and other places on the internet , once the
I129F petition is approved and sent to the appropriate consulate, it will be valid
for 4 months, then once a Visa is issued within those 4 months, the Visa is valid for
6 months, and then upon entry to the US on the K1 Visa it's valid for 3 months. so
far so good BUT:

If our petition is approved it will be sent to Nicosia Embassy, looking at the
Nicosia Embassy website, and under the Fiancee Visa link
    :http://www.americanembassy.org.cy/vimmfian.htm at the bottom of the page it says the
following:

" Once the visa is issued, the beneficiary must enter the U.S. within the validity of
the petition"

this kind of left me confused, it seems to me this is contradicting the K1 Visa
normal regulations, because generally we refer to issuance of Visa as the process
that takes place in the consulate and the petition is the I129 F, then using those
definitions, they are saying that from sending the petition to the embassy we have 4
months ( assuming that 4 months is the validity of the petition) to get into the
country.... any hints/ideas??? regards,

Zik

Old Mar 5th 2002, 10:05 am
Michael Voight

Default Re: K1 Visa, how long is it's validity

zik wrote:
    > any hints/ideas??? regards,
    >

Yeah, if it sounds wrong on a web site, it probably is. The visa will be good for 6
months. The fiance would have to enter within 6 months of getting the visa.

Michael

Old Mar 5th 2002, 10:35 am
Cheryl

I haven't gotten my visa yet but I'm just about there. I'm just waiting for my birth
certificate and my passport to come in the mail. From all the research I've done the
time you have is as follows:

1. After you receive your NOA for your I-129F, the consulate has 4 months to send you
your packet #3.
2. Put together the items on the checklist for packet #3 (I've got mine) and fax the
signed checklist to the consulate.
3. You will be notified of your interview and in most cases receive your visa the day
of your interview.
4. From the moment you receive your visa you have 6 months to enter the USA.
5. Once you cross the border with the visa into the USA you have exactly 90 days to
be married.

HINT: Have the back of your visa stamped when you cross the border so you can work
for 3 months prior to the wedding if you so desire.

Hope that helps, please correct me if I'm wrong, Cheryl

"zik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello ,
    >
    > usually from what i have read on the NG and other places on the internet , once the
    > I129F petition is approved and sent to the appropriate consulate, it will be valid
    > for 4 months, then once a Visa is issued within those 4 months, the Visa is valid
    > for 6 months, and then upon entry to the US on the K1 Visa it's valid for 3 months.
    > so far so good BUT:
    >
    > If our petition is approved it will be sent to Nicosia Embassy, looking at the
    > Nicosia Embassy website, and under the Fiancee Visa link
    > :http://www.americanembassy.org.cy/vimmfian.htm at the bottom of the page it says
    > the following:
    >
    > " Once the visa is issued, the beneficiary must enter the U.S. within the validity
    > of the petition"
    >
    > this kind of left me confused, it seems to me this is contradicting the K1 Visa
    > normal regulations, because generally we refer to issuance of Visa as the process
    > that takes place in the consulate and the petition is the I129 F, then using those
    > definitions, they are saying that from sending the petition to the embassy we have
    > 4 months ( assuming that 4 months is the validity of the petition) to get into the
    > country.... any hints/ideas??? regards,
    >
    > Zik

Old Mar 5th 2002, 11:35 am
Barnaby Wainman

I have a question about something in this post. You say 'HINT: Have the back of your
visa stamped when you cross the border so you can work for 3 months prior to the
wedding if you so desire.', does this mean you can work as soon as you arrive in the
USA during the 90 days befre you have to be married? Can you work at any other times
during the visa process.

Regards,

Barnaby

"Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I haven't gotten my visa yet but I'm just about there. I'm just waiting
for
    > my birth certificate and my passport to come in the mail. From all the research
    > I've done the time you have is as follows:
    >
    > 1. After you receive your NOA for your I-129F, the consulate has 4 months
to
    > send you your packet #3.
    > 2. Put together the items on the checklist for packet #3 (I've got mine)
and
    > fax the signed checklist to the consulate.
    > 3. You will be notified of your interview and in most cases receive your visa the
    > day of your interview.
    > 4. From the moment you receive your visa you have 6 months to enter the
USA.
    > 5. Once you cross the border with the visa into the USA you have exactly
    > days to be married.
    >
    > HINT: Have the back of your visa stamped when you cross the border so you can work
    > for 3 months prior to the wedding if you so desire.
    >
    > Hope that helps, please correct me if I'm wrong, Cheryl
    >
    > "zik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello ,
    > >
    > > usually from what i have read on the NG and other places on the internet , once
    > > the I129F petition is approved and sent to the appropriate consulate, it will be
    > > valid for 4 months, then once a Visa is issued within those 4 months, the Visa is
    > > valid for 6 months, and then upon entry to the US on the K1 Visa it's valid for 3
    > > months. so far so good BUT:
    > >
    > > If our petition is approved it will be sent to Nicosia Embassy, looking at the
    > > Nicosia Embassy website, and under the Fiancee Visa link
    > > :http://www.americanembassy.org.cy/vimmfian.htm at the bottom of the page it says
    > > the following:
    > >
    > > " Once the visa is issued, the beneficiary must enter the U.S. within the
    > > validity of the petition"
    > >
    > > this kind of left me confused, it seems to me this is contradicting the K1 Visa
    > > normal regulations, because generally we refer to issuance of Visa as the process
    > > that takes place in the consulate and the petition is the I129 F, then using
    > > those definitions, they are saying that from sending the petition to the embassy
    > > we have 4 months ( assuming that 4 months is the validity of the petition) to get
    > > into the country.... any hints/ideas??? regards,
    > >
    > > Zik

Old Mar 5th 2002, 11:35 pm
Whit

Let me try.

On a K-1, you have to gather a bunch of documents and mail them to one of 4 US
service centers. When they receive it, they start their process. However they will
take weeks, even months, to open it.
    :0

then they try and process it on the US side withink 90 days. They usually
do. They mail it to the 'host' country.

Then it goes through that countries system. They then send a packet (with
instructions as others have elaborated upon) to the foreign fiancee. They jump
through hoops, gather more paper (so many dead trees), and enter USA.

Yes, they can then work. They must get a social security number like everyone else.
Then the fiancee can work.

Then you two must get married within 90 days. If you don't, the fiancee gets
to go home.

Then you live happily ever after. You will live especially more happy after the
after-marriage paperwork (like the 485, I think).

It's not a big deal. You just can't rush it. It's kinda like a computer problem
like that.

Whit

Old Mar 6th 2002, 11:05 am
Cheryl

Once you arrive at customs you will be issued an I-94 (I believe this is your actual
fiancé visa, I'll find out for sure when I get there). Ask them to stamp it with
"'Employment Authorized stamp"which gives you permission to work for 90 days (notice
this is the same amount of time you have to be married). Then take your stamped I-94
to the local Social Security office and they will issue a SS#. When the card comes it
has the words "Only valid for work with INS authorization" on it.

After you are married and you file your AOS (Adjustment of Status) you will also file
for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) that entitles you to work for 1 year.
Some time might elapse between the initial 90 days that you were permitted to work
and receiving the next 1 year work permit. Some advice that was given to me is not to
wait the full 90 days to get married so you can apply for the AOS and the EAD before
the 90 days is up and you might be able to continue working. I have also been told by
someone else that went through it that you can not take time off in between this
transition period. You actually have to quit your job. If the company was audited and
the INS found out that it had you as an employee without valid authorization even
though you weren't working you and they could get fined. You may not be working but
you are still considered an employee. Mind you not every company gets audited but
some rather be safe than sorry.

Here a web site of a woman that went through the whole process and had some troubles
along the way, you might benefit reading it even though she had some mistakes and
delays along the way. It basically told me what to do and what not to do.
http://www.paonline.com/mdonovan/k1visa/k1ead.htm#start It's called the EAD Problem.

I'm just learning this process by trial and error so please forgive me in advance if
I have incorrectly stated something. I'm just sharing with you what I've read and
been told and how I can apply this to my experience.

Cheryl

"Barnaby Wainman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I have a question about something in this post. You say 'HINT: Have the back of
    > your visa stamped when you cross the border so you can work for 3 months prior to
    > the wedding if you so desire.', does this mean you can
work
    > as soon as you arrive in the USA during the 90 days befre you have to be married?
    > Can you work at any other times during the visa process.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Barnaby
    >
    >
    > "Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I haven't gotten my visa yet but I'm just about there. I'm just waiting
    > for
    > > my birth certificate and my passport to come in the mail. From all the research
    > > I've done the time you have is as follows:
    > >
    > > 1. After you receive your NOA for your I-129F, the consulate has 4
months
    > to
    > > send you your packet #3.
    > > 2. Put together the items on the checklist for packet #3 (I've got mine)
    > and
    > > fax the signed checklist to the consulate.
    > > 3. You will be notified of your interview and in most cases receive your visa the
    > > day of your interview.
    > > 4. From the moment you receive your visa you have 6 months to enter the
    > USA.
    > > 5. Once you cross the border with the visa into the USA you have exactly
    > 90
    > > days to be married.
    > >
    > > HINT: Have the back of your visa stamped when you cross the border so
you
    > > can work for 3 months prior to the wedding if you so desire.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps, please correct me if I'm wrong, Cheryl
    > >
    > > "zik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hello ,
    > > >
    > > > usually from what i have read on the NG and other places on the internet , once
    > > > the I129F petition is approved and sent to the appropriate consulate, it will
    > > > be valid for 4 months, then once a Visa is issued within those 4 months, the
    > > > Visa is valid for 6 months, and then upon entry to the US on the K1 Visa it's
    > > > valid for 3 months. so far so good BUT:
    > > >
    > > > If our petition is approved it will be sent to Nicosia Embassy, looking at the
    > > > Nicosia Embassy website, and under the Fiancee Visa link
    > > > :http://www.americanembassy.org.cy/vimmfian.htm at the bottom of the page it
    > > > says the following:
    > > >
    > > > " Once the visa is issued, the beneficiary must enter the U.S. within the
    > > > validity of the petition"
    > > >
    > > > this kind of left me confused, it seems to me this is contradicting the K1 Visa
    > > > normal regulations, because generally we refer to issuance of Visa as the
    > > > process that takes place in the consulate and the petition is the I129 F, then
    > > > using those definitions, they are saying that from sending the petition to the
    > > > embassy we have 4 months ( assuming that 4 months is the validity of the
    > > > petition) to get into the country.... any hints/ideas??? regards,
    > > >
    > > > Zik
    > >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2002, 12:05 pm
Barnaby Wainman

Thanks for your help.

Barnaby

"Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Once you arrive at customs you will be issued an I-94 (I believe this is your
    > actual fiancé visa, I'll find out for sure when I get there). Ask
them
    > to stamp it with "'Employment Authorized stamp"which gives you permission to work
    > for 90 days (notice this is the same amount of time you have to be married). Then
    > take your stamped I-94 to the local Social Security office and they will issue a
    > SS#. When the card comes it has the words "Only
valid
    > for work with INS authorization" on it.
    >
    > After you are married and you file your AOS (Adjustment of Status) you
will
    > also file for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) that entitles you to work
    > for 1 year. Some time might elapse between the initial 90 days
that
    > you were permitted to work and receiving the next 1 year work permit.
Some
    > advice that was given to me is not to wait the full 90 days to get married so you
    > can apply for the AOS and the EAD before the 90 days is up and you might be able to
    > continue working. I have also been told by someone else that went through it that
    > you can not take time off in between this transition period. You actually have to
    > quit your job. If the company
was
    > audited and the INS found out that it had you as an employee without valid
    > authorization even though you weren't working you and they could get
fined.
    > You may not be working but you are still considered an employee. Mind you not every
    > company gets audited but some rather be safe than sorry.
    >
    > Here a web site of a woman that went through the whole process and had
some
    > troubles along the way, you might benefit reading it even though she had some
    > mistakes and delays along the way. It basically told me what to do
and
    > what not to do. http://www.paonline.com/mdonovan/k1visa/k1ead.htm#start It's
    > called the
EAD
    > Problem.
    >
    > I'm just learning this process by trial and error so please forgive me in advance
    > if I have incorrectly stated something. I'm just sharing with you what I've read
    > and been told and how I can apply this to my experience.
    >
    > Cheryl
    >
    >
    > "Barnaby Wainman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I have a question about something in this post. You say 'HINT: Have the back of
    > > your visa stamped when you cross the border so you can work for
    > > months prior to the wedding if you so desire.', does this mean you can
    > work
    > > as soon as you arrive in the USA during the 90 days befre you have to be married?
    > > Can you work at any other times during the visa process.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Barnaby
    > >
    > >
    > > "Cheryl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I haven't gotten my visa yet but I'm just about there. I'm just
waiting
    > > for
    > > > my birth certificate and my passport to come in the mail. From all
the
    > > > research I've done the time you have is as follows:
    > > >
    > > > 1. After you receive your NOA for your I-129F, the consulate has 4
    > months
    > > to
    > > > send you your packet #3.
    > > > 2. Put together the items on the checklist for packet #3 (I've got
mine)
    > > and
    > > > fax the signed checklist to the consulate.
    > > > 3. You will be notified of your interview and in most cases receive
your
    > > > visa the day of your interview.
    > > > 4. From the moment you receive your visa you have 6 months to enter
the
    > > USA.
    > > > 5. Once you cross the border with the visa into the USA you have
exactly
    > > 90
    > > > days to be married.
    > > >
    > > > HINT: Have the back of your visa stamped when you cross the border so
    > you
    > > > can work for 3 months prior to the wedding if you so desire.
    > > >
    > > > Hope that helps, please correct me if I'm wrong, Cheryl
    > > >
    > > > "zik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > > Hello ,
    > > > >
    > > > > usually from what i have read on the NG and other places on the internet ,
    > > > > once the I129F petition is approved and sent to the appropriate consulate, it
    > > > > will be valid for 4 months, then once a
Visa
    > > > > is issued within those 4 months, the Visa is valid for 6 months, and then
    > > > > upon entry to the US on the K1 Visa it's valid for 3 months. so far so good
    > > > > BUT:
    > > > >
    > > > > If our petition is approved it will be sent to Nicosia Embassy, looking at
    > > > > the Nicosia Embassy website, and under the Fiancee Visa link
    > > > > :http://www.americanembassy.org.cy/vimmfian.htm at the bottom of the page it
    > > > > says the following:
    > > > >
    > > > > " Once the visa is issued, the beneficiary must enter the U.S.
within
    > > > > the validity of the petition"
    > > > >
    > > > > this kind of left me confused, it seems to me this is contradicting the K1
    > > > > Visa normal regulations, because generally we refer to
issuance
    > > > > of Visa as the process that takes place in the consulate and the petition is
    > > > > the I129 F, then using those definitions, they are
saying
    > > > > that from sending the petition to the embassy we have 4 months ( assuming
    > > > > that 4 months is the validity of the petition) to get into the country....
    > > > > any hints/ideas??? regards,
    > > > >
    > > > > Zik
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >