Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa Help - Overstay (Help)

K1 Visa Help - Overstay (Help)

Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Visa Help - Overstay (Help)

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
I agree with Marnee, get married darn it!, DCF is the way to go!!
Actually I think the OP did the sensible thing. It is now April, there are no plans to move until November, and the wedding is still 10 months away. Why NOT go for a K1?

I actually find it refreshing to see someone here who is not wanting to have everything finished the day before they even start, like some. Maybe it just appeals to me because we are in no rush ourselves and I feel like I 'understand' the OP better than the 'hurry hurry' people (who make my head hurt just thinking about what it would be like to live that way).

Elaine
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:08 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Actually I think the OP did the sensible thing. It is now April, there are no plans to move until November, and the wedding is still 10 months away. Why NOT go for a K1?

I actually find it refreshing to see someone here who is not wanting to have everything finished the day before they even start, like some. Maybe it just appeals to me because we are in no rush ourselves and I feel like I 'understand' the OP better than the 'hurry hurry' people (who make my head hurt just thinking about what it would be like to live that way).

Elaine
Although I agree with you, why doesn't he do the decent thing and open a spot for someone who *does* like to live that way?

~SecretGarden
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Although I agree with you, why doesn't he do the decent thing and open a spot for someone who *does* like to live that way?
I know what you mean, but I guess I don't really see it as him taking someone's spot. It all evens out in the end - the OP has to go in for his interview sooner or later. One could say that by going sooner, he opens up a spot for someone in say, July.

Elaine
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about

From reading posts on other sites. It seems that "alot" of people have a tendency to get married then apply for the visa because it's easiest.

I was told by an immigration officer that I should have got married and DCF. That to me is rushing the process and marrying because immigration want you to do that.....

We have lived in the UK together for a year now and want to make the next step.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:16 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evanio1978
I was told by an immigration officer that I should have got married and DCF. That to me is rushing the process and marrying because immigration want you to do that.....
If you can get around jumping when they say jump, then more power to you! I know it has been frustrating for us living in Immigration-Twilight Zone where the clocks feel like they are going backwards sometimes and fast-forward at other times. Good luck to you!

Marnee
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by evanio1978
That to me is rushing the process and marrying because immigration want you to do that....
I totally agree with you. You have to take the next step when you want to. Sooner or later you're going to have to do some things by the immigration book, but the getting to that point can entirely be done on your own terms.

We will be applying for an IV through DCF in 3 weeks, but the decision to go that route was made by us - not because it's the fastest way. If it hadn't been available we would have done the I-130 (through Nebraska - most likely without K3). Even though the fiancé visa route from my country is faster than that option. Don't get me wrong though, I am very happy that DCF is available to us - it fits into our plans perfectly. That it's pretty darned fast is an extra bonus for us!

Elaine