Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 Visa granted from London, with love!

K1 Visa granted from London, with love!

Old Jul 28th 2003, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, all, for the warm congratulations I wouldn't have made it very well without the support from this group. Everything went very well, from start to finish. I will have Nev post details here, sometime after he recovers from exhaustion. He was extremely nervous this morning before he went in for the medical, having been awake most of the night being extremely nervous, as well. When I can't get a chuckle out of him, something is terribly wrong, hehe. But, he made it and I am very proud of him for holding up through all of this. Yes, Dekka, it does rock!! It's all sinking in by the hour that it's finally over and we can move on to the next phase, together Hopefully, he will be arriving the first part of next week. I don't expect to see any less than a K1 Visa for both of you, Lee and Sols Good luck, and I wish you all the best!

Last edited by NevAnna; Jul 28th 2003 at 6:14 am.
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:08 am
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Deanna,

That is such wonderful news! I was really touched when I saw your email this morning.... Hard to believe that almost all of us in the little group are all getting closer to the end. We all might want to start thinking of what to bring to the BBQ! Rohit can bring some tasty Indian food, you some truffles and crumpets, Marian some French wine and Nanette can fly in some Filipino Lechon or lumpia... Without a doubt would make for a multi-cultural experience

Scott
Old Jul 28th 2003, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 Visa granted from London, with love!

Originally posted by NevAnna
Yessssss!! Neville is the proud new owner of a shiny, K1 Visa!!! At 7:16am this morning, I received the most wonderful news of my entire life. I am still trying to sort myself out from the river of tears I just cried. I'll post details, later when I get them, as he is on his way to share the great news with his family and the chilled bottle of champagne. Thank you, everyone, for the well wishes and awesome knowledge you've shared with us over the past year Hang in there, all that are still waiting. Your day will come
congrats!
Old Jul 28th 2003, 11:39 am
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough

Yessssss!! Neville is the proud new owner of a shiny, K1 Visa!!! At 7:16am this morning, I received the most wonderful news of my entire life. I am still trying to sort myself out from the river of tears I just cried. I'll post details, later when I get them, as he is on his way to share the great news with his family and the chilled bottle of champagne. Thank you, everyone, for the well wishes and awesome knowledge you've shared with us over the past year Hang in there, all that are still waiting. Your day will come
Congratulations Anna and Neville!! I was thinking of you last night Anna when I re-read that his interview was today!! Woohoo!!

Carey

p.s. when is he coming home?
Old Jul 28th 2003, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Nicki36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats Great!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!

05/31/03 Mailed in I-129F To VSC
06/03/03 Ordered Police Check
06/05/03 1st NOA Date
06/11/03 Received 1st NOA postmarked 06/09/03
06/23/03 2nd NOA Online
06/27/03 In NVC system
07/01/03 LuTziE receives Police Check
07/02/03 NVC sends to London
07/14/03 Packet 3 Received!
07/14/03 Mailed packet 3 back to embassy
07/21/03 received e-mail from embassy – 08/15/03 INTERVIEW!!!
07/22/03 Received packet 4
Old Jul 28th 2003, 12:59 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Congrats!!

CONGRATULATIONS to the both of you!! !!!

Ps: Waiting for the details lol..
Old Jul 28th 2003, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, to the rest of you I decided that since we all thrive on details, it would be better to have first hand information. I've only just let him know, so hopefully soon
Old Jul 29th 2003, 5:12 am
Just Joined

AnnaNev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

First off, let me offer my thanks to this wonderful community. Both Deanna and I are most grateful for the kind words of support that you have offered us coupled with the encylopedic wealth of knowledge that is shared here. I can only hope that by sharing our experiences with this process that we will be repaying, in some small way, the debt we owe you.

My interview date at the London Embassy was set for Monday, 28th July. I arrived at Dr. Phelan's clinic at about 07:30 and by the time the doors were open, there were about 20 people waiting outside. The clinic itself is a typical London town house, the staff are friendly, the seats comfy and such. It put me at ease straight away. Names are called out over a small intercom speaker behind the waiting room door. Need to listen carefully for your name, since it's not clear at all. I was sitting right next to it and did not catch them all.

You're called up once to provide a signature for your photograph and payment for the service. The second time, you enter a room adjacent to the reception area for a blood test. I think I've read about the nurse who does this before. She's a middle-aged Asian lady. Kept me talking. I wasnt even aware she'd taken the blood from my arm when she asked me if I knew she'd finished. Very impressed. After that, you head downstairs and strip to the waist where an x-ray is taken of your chest and your blood pressure, eyesight, pulse and such are taken. You're given a sealed, rolled envelope to hand in to the Point of Entry staff, then head to the embassy.

The embassy, as I'm sure has been said before, is a really hideous building of concrete and gold in an otherwise pretty London square - you won't miss it, trust me. It's surrounded by concrete blocks, wire fencing and armed police who patrol its perimeter and the street corners nearby - felt a little sad at seeing this in the middle of the city I grew up in. You pass through a metal detector in order to enter the embassy. Make sure you leave your cameras at home and turn your mobile phones off. The Immigration section is up the stairs and on the right once you enter and show your letter of appointment. Head to booth 1 or 2 and present your letter and proof of payment then go take a seat. Shortly, you'll called up. At this point you'll be asked for your passport, your birth certificate, your police certificate and any evidence of support. I handed over the Affidavit of Support (original), a letter from Deanna's employer, and earnings statements dating back some years. I was told that that was more than sufficient for now and that if more were required later on, I would be asked. That was OK. I had plenty more where that came from.

So, after sitting back down and trying not to look at my watch, I was called a second time by a friendly but very business-like officer. I swore that all documents and information I provided were the truth and the interview began. He asked how we met and so I explained that we both played an online game called EverQuest at the time and that after a couple of years we started e-mailing each other. One day, Deanna said that she'd never met or spoken to an English person before so I asked for her number and we were talking a few minutes later and the rest, as they say, is history. He asked about my visits to the United States. Then he sprung a somewhat unexpected question on me. Deanna has been married before but it's not something we've gone into great detail about simply because we have better things to discuss. Anyhow, he asked me when she was divorced at which I stumbled somewhat. So I told him the truth in that I honestly didn't know the exact date but it was about 3 or 4 years back. He seemed satisfied with that. Proof there that the truth is the best way, I think.

The interview finished with him saying, "If you'll take a seat, sir, it will be ready in 30 minutes to an hour." If I could've hugged the man, I would've. I sat down and wiped some tears from my eyes. Some time later I was called up again and handed my passport with the K-1 visa stuck in the first page and the packet to hand in to Point of Entry officer. We'd done it!

Thanks again for all your help.

Neville
Old Jul 29th 2003, 5:57 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that excellent report, I hope to be going there myself in a couple of months, once the NVC have passed on the petition!

BTW -- did you visit the legendary toilet at Dr Phelan's??

Debbie
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:12 am
Dreamer

OlenkaKyiv will become famous soon enough

wooo hooo My congratulations to you both
Thanks for expirience.
May I bring Kyiv's pie for international barbeque ?
Olenka
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Marilech is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations, cheers!!! :PARTY:

Old Jul 29th 2003, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

AnnaNev is an unknown quantity at this point

Alas, I'd clean forgotten to take a look at the legendary loo!

As for an international barbeque, sounds good to me. I am enjoying introducing Deanna to the delights of Cadbury's chocolate and of Marmite...mmm...

On the subject of the big interview day again (and this has likely been said many times), I'll add that both the officers I spoke to were polite, patient and clear with their requests and questions. I was pretty nervous going up to the booth but I relaxed once I realised I wasn't going to get the grilling I'd feared.

Nev.

*edit* I need typing lessons...

Last edited by AnnaNev; Jul 29th 2003 at 12:35 pm.