K1 or University

Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Mark_25_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K1 or University

Hi

and thanks for all the advice.

A rather bizarre situation occured today wherby I was in receipt of a phone call form a administrator from

International Internship Coordinator
Internships For America
Vernon Woods Professional Center
6667 Vernon Woods Drive Suite A-10
Sandy Springs, GA 30328

I tentivley applied for a 12-18 month internship within my chosen field HR about 2 weeks and I thought nothing more of it - until I received a phone call stating that they may have an opportunity, I now have to go through a formal process of submitting my resume, degree certificate and transcripts and letters of recommendation.

The cost is $3000, and salary is around $400 a month including, rent, bills - it is based in Atlanta, GA. - Not near my g/f in Los Angeles

Would taking part in this give me a decent chance of converting a J1 visa into permanent residency? Is this whole programme a sham and should I stay well clear.

One again, any advice people could offer would be greatlyappreciated.

Mark
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark_25_UK
Hi Bob

The figure of $30,000 was very conservative, and like you suggest it will be nearer $40,000-$45,000 over 2 years when I have taken indirect expenses into consideration.

Mark.
That's still cheap, was the tuition fee per year for most decent places around here in state
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Would taking part in this give me a decent chance of converting a J1 visa into permanent residency?
J1 to H1 and then sponsorship to greencard is a route, though marriage is easier.

J1, would need to know if you have the two year home residency requirement or not as that could put the kibosh on things.

I've no idea if this place is kosher, but it sounds scammy that they would ask you to pay $3K in fees...
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

thanks Bob, i am seriously contemplating this route, as Im sure I would be able to convert an 18 month stay in the USA to a more permanent thing.

I could also try and synchronise my 18 month stay with my g/f getting citizenship, therefore this could lead to the marriage - K1 visa route.....?

Is this risky?

Mark

Also, would a change in governement help things? I mean the USA and UK stand side by side on almost every political issue there is - Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan etc, yet it is almost impossible for someone to migrate there without having any contacts in te USA?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Also, would a change in governement help things? I mean the USA and UK stand side by side on almost every political issue there is - Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan etc, yet it is almost impossible for someone to migrate there without having any contacts in te USA?
Don't count on anything changing there.

As for the risk thing, sure it's a risk, you don't know how long the citizenship will take to process, any delays could be an issue...planning on getting J1 to H1, well depends on employer and if they can be arsed with the money.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I looked at this company and got as far as speaking to them over the phone, but the initital outlay of $3000 was a little off putting - along with the $425 per month wages. Although, housing and utility bills are included I dont think $425 would be a realstic figure to live off?

I have also done some research on the 2 year home residnct requirement - and you can get it waived if you follow the correct procedures.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

and thanks for all the advice.

A rather bizarre situation occured today wherby I was in receipt of a phone call form a administrator from

International Internship Coordinator
Internships For America
Vernon Woods Professional Center
6667 Vernon Woods Drive Suite A-10
Sandy Springs, GA 30328

I tentivley applied for a 12-18 month internship within my chosen field HR about 2 weeks and I thought nothing more of it - until I received a phone call stating that they may have an opportunity, I now have to go through a formal process of submitting my resume, degree certificate and transcripts and letters of recommendation.

The cost is $3000, and salary is around $400 a month including, rent, bills - it is based in Atlanta, GA. - Not near my g/f in Los Angeles

Would taking part in this give me a decent chance of converting a J1 visa into permanent residency? Is this whole programme a sham and should I stay well clear.

One again, any advice people could offer would be greatlyappreciated.

Mark
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556159

A little dodgy ....
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:03 am
Just Joined

would someone be able to give me a heads up on the following company

sustained consultants - san diego based another Internship company.

Regards
Mark.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What they say to employers is quite interesting
http://sustainedconsultantservices.c...mpany_faq.html
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What they say to employers is quite interesting
http://sustainedconsultantservices.c...mpany_faq.html
Yikes!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:41 am
Just Joined

I don't follow....!!!

someone drop me a private message!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I don't follow....!!!

I have no problem saying it publicly - sounds to me like a company that takes advantage of naive young people.

Everything is geared to the advantage of the hiring company - like "oh, if you don't like the intern, just get rid of them, we'll get you another".

No benefits.... no health insurance... you mentioned a $400 or so stipend - very hard or impossible to live on that.

I would be very very careful...
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I don't follow....!!!

Dittos to what Tracy says. The agency is priming employers to use this program to get some cheap help around the place for a year and a half.. under few of the rules that DO exist to protect workers in the US.

You know the saying 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is'? As an employer, I'm reading that page thinking.. hey, what's the catch.....

This is a raw deal for the employee IMO.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Separate thought - can he go to a community college in the US?

Or must it be a four year degree? I freely admit, I have no clue as to the requirements, I'm sure someone else on here does.

But if it is allowed - he could possibly take the first two years of a degree at a community college for a much lower cost - then (probably married by then) transfer to a 4-year college for the last two years.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it has to be a four year program. I've heard of people coming to the US to study English at language academy and getting a student visa. Too bad he already speaks English!

- Eric S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.