Reload this Page >

K1 Question - Engaged before divorce was finalised

K1 Question - Engaged before divorce was finalised

Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

AlexHiggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 Question - Engaged before divorce was finalised

Hey guys,

Just a question regarding this? I am just grabbing all the information required before hand.

Her marriage broke down over 2 years ago. After that we started talking and things went from there. Her separation period has went and we're just waiting to hear back from the courts for it to be finalised etc.

Do you think this would pose as a problem? I hope they're of the position of 'these things happen'. Obviously we're going to wait before it is before sending or dating anything.

I think our case is pretty strong. We have tonnes of photos together, over 5 flights to see each other in the last year (and there's two more in the next few months).

We have all the stamps, boarding passes etc, even the engagement ring receipt.

Do you think we need to mention anything about the engagement being before her divorce was finalised in the I-129F Package? I'm thinking in the "Declaration of how you met in person in the last two year".

Or, are those the things I would expect to be fired at me at the interview stage?

Thanks!

Last edited by AlexHiggins; Aug 12th 2014 at 9:18 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:18 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Question - Engaged before divorce was finalised

No and no. It's not an issue at all. We got engaged before our divorces were finalised. We sent off the I129F 5 days after my divorce was final and were approved with no RFEs
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The I-129F can't be filed until the divorce is final. It is at that point that you should consider yourselves engaged. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

AlexHiggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, quick response

Yeah, we're just waiting for it to be final. Thanks for the replies!
Old Aug 12th 2014, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexHiggins
Do you think this would pose as a problem?
No - because the US government has no interest in your personal situation.

Do you think we need to mention anything about the engagement being before her divorce was finalised in the I-129F Package?
No - because the US government has no interest in your personal situation.

Or, are those the things I would expect to be fired at me at the interview stage?
I seriously doubt it'll ever come up... because the US government has no interest in your personal situation. Since the I-129F can't be filed unless and until both people are free to marry, what happens before that is totally irrelevant.

In a nutshell, it's a non-issue.

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2014, 11:38 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, none issue. Engaged is not a legal status, nobody can prove when or whether you got engaged. nor do they care, except maybe her dad!
Old Aug 12th 2014, 11:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I agree, none issue. Engaged is not a legal status, nobody can prove when or whether you got engaged. Nor do they care, ......
+1

I was going to say exactly this, until I saw Rich had said it already.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:48 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

If I recall correctly, you need to provide letters of intent to marry each other as part of ther K1 package, later in the process. That, if anything, is what US gov considers "engaged".
Old Aug 13th 2014, 4:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
If I recall correctly, you need to provide letters of intent to marry each other as part of ther K1 package, later in the process. That, if anything, is what US gov considers "engaged".
Not later in the process. Those statements go along with the I-129F package.

Rene