Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

k1 to permanent resident timeline q's

k1 to permanent resident timeline q's

Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

davethered is an unknown quantity at this point
Default k1 to permanent resident timeline q's

just looking for people to share their experiences and timescales on their greencard journey.

The i-485 was received november 30th 2001 along with permit to work and advanced parole

biometrics completed december 22nd 2011

i've checked USCIS and been accepted for work permit and advanced parole (just awaiting the card)

received notice on january 6th 2012 that my i-485 application had been transferred to california service centre

Just wondering what the rest of the timeline looks like untill i receive my greencard

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k1 to permanent resident timeline q's

Six month seems to be the average timeline from filing AOS to getting green card in hand. So, since you filed in December 2011 (I assume 2001 was a typo, lol), you should be getting either an AOS interview letter OR your green card directly (without an interview) around June 2012.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2012, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

lol yes 2001 was a typo, definately meant 2011!
ok that sounds great, thanks

is the interview done on a random basis or do some applicants not need one?
Old Jan 30th 2012, 4:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Having the I-485 sent to the CSC rather than to a District Office is an indication that an interview may not be needed. If, after reviewing the submission, the CSC agrees that an interview is not needed it will approve the application and order the green card. So your wait may be less than 6 months.

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 30th 2012, 4:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davethered
is the interview done on a random basis or do some applicants not need one?
It's not random, but it's true that some applicants end up not needing one.

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:40 am
Just Joined

hi there, im just querying again because ive still heard nothing more as of yet and my case status stillshows initial review, is it normal to experience this and is there any way i can hurry them along?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 2:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Case status will show 'initial review' until a decision has been made or an RFE issued. It makes the whole idea of "tracking" a case meaningless. It's like watching a race where the view is blocked out from the time the starting gun has been fired until the finish line has been crossed. Everything in between the start and the finish is 'initial review', unless the racer runs off the course (RFE).

Regards, JEff

hi there, im just querying again because ive still heard nothing more as of yet and my case status stillshows initial review, is it normal to experience this and is there any way i can hurry them along?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:28 pm

If you are more than 30 days beyond what USCIS posts as their expected processing time, you can make an InfoPass appointment to go inquire in person. I believe you are in that time frame now. You filed AOS in November 2011. USCIS lists Houston Field Office as having a 4-month AOS processing time. You're beyond that, so go ahead and make an InfoPass appointment to see if they can tell you anything.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processingTimesDisplay.do

I find it odd that the I-485 for marriage based cases is listed in the Field Office listing, rather than the Service Center listings. And, of course, even on the USCIS website, nothing is written in stone, and your case processing can vary from what they expect to be true.

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:43 pm

I don't find it odd at all. Most marriage-based adjustment of status applications are processed by the field offices, only a relative few bypass the field offices and get processed by the CSC.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I find it odd that the I-485 for marriage based cases is listed in the Field Office listing, rather than the Service Center listings. ...
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:53 am
Just Joined

my case was apparently transferred to CSC in january, does anybody know the processing timeframe they have there and should i be concerned?
thanks
Old Aug 1st 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

my case was apparently transferred to CSC in january, does anybody know the processing timeframe they have there and should i be concerned?
thanks
CSC is a little slow right now. People transferred there in December are starting to get their AOS approvals.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:25 pm

I don't think there is an established processing timeframe, because having an I-485 processed by the CSC without an interview is not the standard practice. It's an 'exception to the rule', so to speak.

I think Moxie have you a good answer based on the current anecdotal evidence.

Regards, JEff

thanks