K1 - Medical

Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute
Default K1 - Medical

I got home last Thursday (24th Feb) to discover the long awaited ‘packet 3’ on my door mat. I have to say ‘packet 3’ is a rather grandiose term for the single piece of A4 paper that was in my envelope from the American embassy. As I have been waiting for this day since the beginning of August I was more than ready and once I’d finished squeaking at The Moog I hurried upstairs to tell my TAS.

Friday morning I posted DS-230 part 1, 2 x DS-156, DS-156K, 2 x DS-157 and Checklist DS-2001 back to the embassy and called up Knightsbridge Doctors to make an appointment for the medical. The lady who answered the phone asked if I had my police certificate – yes and my Case Number then asked me when I wanted to come in. ASAP was my response. So she gave me an appointment for the following Tuesday.

Friday afternoon I toddled off to my GP surgery where I was having my final MMR and the Tdap and collecting a copy of my vaccination record.

Busy busy weekend what with the borderline OCD checking of my documents, catching up with friends and all the other stuff that goes relentlessly on while you are waiting for the whole immigration process.

Tuesday morning I went into the office for an hour and then caught a train out of Manchester Picadilly. I had built 90 mins of buffer time into my journey and bought 3 books with me to keep me going. Somewhere in the middle of this green and pleasant land I am trying to leave. I became aware that the speedy, tilty train I was on was not speedy or tilty or even moving. Cue OCD watch checking. Voice comes over the Tannoy to tell me that due to a signalling fault at Bletchley the whole network was out. “Not today. I can’t be late today” Tannoy voice does a reasonable job of keeping us updated of our ridiculously slow progress through the countryside and I call the Knightsbridge Doctors to tell them I am going to be late. Really Late. The telephone lady says “Thanks for letting us know. I’ll re-book you for later in the afternoon.”

I get to Euston and I’m annoyed. I hate being late. Jump on the Victoria line for a couple of stops. Come out the wrong exit at Oxford circus – like I always do – and follow my TFL directions. I get confused on Bentinck st and try to go in number 4 but the receptionist there points me to Bentinck Mansions which is a building slightly further down the street.

Once I get in the receptionist asks if I’m Australian or American, which as I’m so late throws me for a second then takes my passport, copy of my police certificate, medical questionnaire and additional sheet and gives me another form to fill in. Which is almost exactly the same as the medical questionnaire. I go round the corner to fill in my form and bring it back to the reception window when I am done. She gives me back my passport and asks me to wait.

A blonde lady asks me to follow her and we go into a very small office. She introduces herself as the Vaccine nurse and asks for my vaccination record. I’ve got all the necessary vaccines except Varicella and she asks me if I had chicken pox as a child. I say yes so she ticks it off as VH – Varicella History and tells me to go back to the waiting room. Another lady come to get me and takes me to a different room with the x-ray machine in. She points me to a curtained off area and tells me to take the clothes off my top half and put on the dark blue cotton dressing gown/robe thing. She takes the x-ray and then still in the robe I go and wait in a second smaller waiting room.

No this is probably TMI but I’m not a small lady, Well I am - I’m 154cm which is about 5’1 in old money. But I have some impressive feminine attributes and wandering round braless is not really an option. I felt very self conscious keep tucking the big sisters back in!

I’m in the small waiting room for a while with another family and then I go into see the doctor. She asks me about the questions I’ve answered yes to and I give her the details and also a letter from my GP explaining that my conditions are well managed and unlikely to cause me to become burdensome in the future.

She asks me to remove my jeans and lie on the examining table at the back of the room.
She takes my blood pressure, takes some blood for syphilis testing, listens to my lungs and feels my stomach. She then does the famous quick peek in my knickers to confirm that I am Miss Bubblechog and not a gentleman masquerading as a lady for immigration benefits.

She tells me I can get dressed and feeling much more secure in my super-dooper reinforced female undergarments, I sit down in front of her again. She says the letter from my GP is good as it says I have no history of self harm, suicide attempts or harmful behaviour to others but as I am currently taking an anti-depressant she wants a FULL psychiatric report from my GP detailing if I have the possibility of future self-harm or harmful behaviour to others.

I ask if this means I have ‘failed’ my medical. She says as long as you’ve told me the truth then no. I’m pleased as I have told her the truth but annoyed that there will be further delays

The journey home is much less stressful than the journey to London. Now I just have to try and sort out the psychiatric report with my GP.

Lx
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 - Medical

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
I got home last Thursday (24th Feb) to discover the long awaited ‘packet 3’ on my door mat. I have to say ‘packet 3’ is a rather grandiose term for the single piece of A4 paper that was in my envelope from the American embassy. As I have been waiting for this day since the beginning of August I was more than ready and once I’d finished squeaking at The Moog I hurried upstairs to tell my TAS.

Friday morning I posted DS-230 part 1, 2 x DS-156, DS-156K, 2 x DS-157 and Checklist DS-2001 back to the embassy and called up Knightsbridge Doctors to make an appointment for the medical. The lady who answered the phone asked if I had my police certificate – yes and my Case Number then asked me when I wanted to come in. ASAP was my response. So she gave me an appointment for the following Tuesday.

Friday afternoon I toddled off to my GP surgery where I was having my final MMR and the Tdap and collecting a copy of my vaccination record.

Busy busy weekend what with the borderline OCD checking of my documents, catching up with friends and all the other stuff that goes relentlessly on while you are waiting for the whole immigration process.

Tuesday morning I went into the office for an hour and then caught a train out of Manchester Picadilly. I had built 90 mins of buffer time into my journey and bought 3 books with me to keep me going. Somewhere in the middle of this green and pleasant land I am trying to leave. I became aware that the speedy, tilty train I was on was not speedy or tilty or even moving. Cue OCD watch checking. Voice comes over the Tannoy to tell me that due to a signalling fault at Bletchley the whole network was out. “Not today. I can’t be late today” Tannoy voice does a reasonable job of keeping us updated of our ridiculously slow progress through the countryside and I call the Knightsbridge Doctors to tell them I am going to be late. Really Late. The telephone lady says “Thanks for letting us know. I’ll re-book you for later in the afternoon.”

I get to Euston and I’m annoyed. I hate being late. Jump on the Victoria line for a couple of stops. Come out the wrong exit at Oxford circus – like I always do – and follow my TFL directions. I get confused on Bentinck st and try to go in number 4 but the receptionist there points me to Bentinck Mansions which is a building slightly further down the street.

Once I get in the receptionist asks if I’m Australian or American, which as I’m so late throws me for a second then takes my passport, copy of my police certificate, medical questionnaire and additional sheet and gives me another form to fill in. Which is almost exactly the same as the medical questionnaire. I go round the corner to fill in my form and bring it back to the reception window when I am done. She gives me back my passport and asks me to wait.

A blonde lady asks me to follow her and we go into a very small office. She introduces herself as the Vaccine nurse and asks for my vaccination record. I’ve got all the necessary vaccines except Varicella and she asks me if I had chicken pox as a child. I say yes so she ticks it off as VH – Varicella History and tells me to go back to the waiting room. Another lady come to get me and takes me to a different room with the x-ray machine in. She points me to a curtained off area and tells me to take the clothes off my top half and put on the dark blue cotton dressing gown/robe thing. She takes the x-ray and then still in the robe I go and wait in a second smaller waiting room.

No this is probably TMI but I’m not a small lady, Well I am - I’m 154cm which is about 5’1 in old money. But I have some impressive feminine attributes and wandering round braless is not really an option. I felt very self conscious keep tucking the big sisters back in!

I’m in the small waiting room for a while with another family and then I go into see the doctor. She asks me about the questions I’ve answered yes to and I give her the details and also a letter from my GP explaining that my conditions are well managed and unlikely to cause me to become burdensome in the future.

She asks me to remove my jeans and lie on the examining table at the back of the room.
She takes my blood pressure, takes some blood for syphilis testing, listens to my lungs and feels my stomach. She then does the famous quick peek in my knickers to confirm that I am Miss Bubblechog and not a gentleman masquerading as a lady for immigration benefits.

She tells me I can get dressed and feeling much more secure in my super-dooper reinforced female undergarments, I sit down in front of her again. She says the letter from my GP is good as it says I have no history of self harm, suicide attempts or harmful behaviour to others but as I am currently taking an anti-depressant she wants a FULL psychiatric report from my GP detailing if I have the possibility of future self-harm or harmful behaviour to others.

I ask if this means I have ‘failed’ my medical. She says as long as you’ve told me the truth then no. I’m pleased as I have told her the truth but annoyed that there will be further delays

The journey home is much less stressful than the journey to London. Now I just have to try and sort out the psychiatric report with my GP.

Lx
hi really interesting read - thank you! You managed well through all the stress of the day!! Good Luck with the report - im sure it will be all plain sailing
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
hi really interesting read - thank you! You managed well through all the stress of the day!! Good Luck with the report - im sure it will be all plain sailing
Well 4 phonecalls and 2 faxes to my GP so far don't feel like plain sailing. I'm confident it will be fine but I'm just so fed up with being 4100 miles away from my TAS. I've turned into an unreasonable and demanding person who wants it all done yesterday.
Lx
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

... but as I am currently taking an anti-depressant she wants a FULL psychiatric report from my GP detailing if I have the possibility of future self-harm or harmful behaviour to others.

Lx
I had a similar problem, they wanted some written report from my doctors. This was doubly a problem as I recently changed doctor's. My new doctor refused to do it...

Well 4 phonecalls and 2 faxes to my GP so far don't feel like plain sailing.
Mine took about that, but my GP also had the nerve to charge me £50 for the letter, and even then they failed to fax the letter to Bentinck Mansions, like I asked them too; the whole thing cost about a week.
My advise to anyone going for the medical is - if you're on any medication - get a letter in advance from your GP explaining why you're on it and how long you're likely to need it for. It should save you a bit of time.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bivlover
I had a similar problem, they wanted some written report from my doctors. This was doubly a problem as I recently changed doctor's. My new doctor refused to do it...

Mine took about that, but my GP also had the nerve to charge me £50 for the letter, and even then they failed to fax the letter to Bentinck Mansions, like I asked them too; the whole thing cost about a week.
My advise to anyone going for the medical is - if you're on any medication - get a letter in advance from your GP explaining why you're on it and how long you're likely to need it for. It should save you a bit of time.
I did have a written letter from my Doctor (which cost £25) explaining my medical conditions and the medication I am currently on but because it didn't explicitly state that I was not at risk of self harm or harmful behaviour to others in the future Tte knightsbridge doctor wanted that explicit confirmation.
The receptionist at my GP wanted to chareg me an extra £90 for the psychiatric report but my Doctor (the 4th and final phone call) said that a full psychiatric examination and report wasn't necessary - he would do it from my notes and charge me the cost of a standard letter.

Lx
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:55 am
Account Closed

I did have a written letter from my Doctor (which cost £25) explaining my medical conditions and the medication I am currently on but because it didn't explicitly state that I was not at risk of self harm or harmful behaviour to others in the future Tte knightsbridge doctor wanted that explicit confirmation.
The receptionist at my GP wanted to chareg me an extra £90 for the psychiatric report but my Doctor (the 4th and final phone call) said that a full psychiatric examination and report wasn't necessary - he would do it from my notes and charge me the cost of a standard letter.

Lx
Blimey. Glad you got out of paying the extra! Next stop interview for you
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Blimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud ofBlimmer has much to be proud of

Great post and very informative!!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Further update-

Well having chased the various more-orless helpful ladies at my GP's I am now the proud owner of an official letter from the doctors that says I am not mental (at least according to the specific criteria laid out by USCIS)
Copy of said letter was faxed to the Knightsbridge doctors on Friday and the results of my medical have now been sent to embassy.

Which leads me to my next question. On Friday (11th) I received the letter below from the embassy and I'm confused.

Single sheet in envelope.

The enclosed information responds to your recent inquiry on immigrant visas. When communicating with this office further, ALWAYS refer to your name and case number exactly as they appear below.

If you have not already done so please complete your medical examination before attending the immigrant visa interview before attending your immigrant visa interview.

Now I have immigration brain again but each time I re-read this letter I think it means something else. At the moment I'm reading it to say the embassy got my incomplete results after the medical and once they have the full results they'll send out the appointment letter. The wiki isn't very clear on this. Please can someone let me know if I have to phone to book or something because of this delay.

Lx
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, this is out of the usual wiki scope and I think mileage may vary.

The letter clearly predates your submission of new documents (you do not have to re-do the medical) so you might want to email the IVU and recap the situation for them and ask for your interview date.

You're blazing a new trail.. report back, Scout!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:46 am
Account Closed

Which leads me to my next question. On Friday (11th) I received the letter below from the embassy and I'm confused.
I got exactly the same letter. I wasted £20 calling them about it, apparently they were supposed to include a document checklist in the letter, but they messed it up. The list is on the website anyway. When I called they gave me a code for emailing the embassy, but that was because it had been more than a certain amount of time since my medical.

I'm not guaranteeing that the same thing has happened with you, but my advice would be to pay little attention to it, and just wait for your interview letter.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The letter clearly predates your submission of new documents (you do not have to re-do the medical) so you might want to email the IVU and recap the situation for them and ask for your interview date.
Strikes me as a standard "boilerplate" acknowledgment of information, nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise, I have no idea.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yeah, this is out of the usual wiki scope and I think mileage may vary.

You're blazing a new trail.. report back, Scout!
Actually the wiki reads like you will get your embassy letter with the interview appointment and then book the medical - so it's possible the procedure has changed/is changing.
I'm aware that this has probably made things a bit skewiff but i forgot my letter with my ref number on today (doh!) and so didn't call the embassy - it's on my to do list for tomorrow though - I'll report back with my findings
Lx
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the process with the medical appointment timing is changing from when the wiki was written.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to butt in here because I'm not one of the knowledgeable and helpful regulars, so forgive me. I looked at the wiki and it's way out of date on a number of items. It looks like the 2008 version of things. Or maybe I looked at the wrong wiki since I don't know this site very well.

Some K1 things I noticed:

They won't schedule the interview without having received the medical results at the embassy.

Police certificate is to be shown at the medical exam.

There is no "packet" from them. It's a letter telling you to get everything from the website.

IV-15 checklist is no longer used.

They want you to pay for the visa by credit card over the phone prior to attending the interview. (YES pay to call to pay them for the visa.)

Can't remember if there's anything else. Does it say they put you in line by appointment time? Not since summer of 2008. It's first in line, first in the door.

Go by the Embassy website's instructions.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Old terminology, like old habits, die hard.

The packet system for immigrant visa applications began to change in 1994 with the opening of the NVC, and was formally ended in Dec 2001 when a memo from then Secretary of State Collin Powell announcied the elimination of some packets and name changes that eliminated the word from the names of the rest.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Moxie
There is no "packet" from them. It's a letter telling you to get everything from the website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.