Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 & K2 Interview Experience

Wikiposts

K1 & K2 Interview Experience

Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:08 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default K1 & K2 Interview Experience

We’re K1/K2 applicants but, as my son is only 5 (and a monkey!) I decided not to bring him with me to the interview.

I stayed over at a nearby hotel the night before, didn’t sleep particularly well as was too nervous, so ended up in the Starbucks just round the corner from the Embassy at 6am. Finally got to the Embassy at 7am (my appointment time was 8.30am) and started queuing with everyone else behind these trolley type things that they wheeled out. Some Embassy workers walked through the queue asking us to have our passports, DS160 printouts and appointment letters ready for checking, and handed out plastic bags for mobiles and tablets. They also told the men to take off their belts and empty their pockets. When I got to the front of the queue the lady wrote ‘IV’ on my letter and checked both mine and my son’s names off her list.

I then had my paperwork checked again by a security bloke before heading into the airport-style security hut (they send you through in groups of 4). You then have to walk round the Embassy building to the entrance where your paperwork is checked again by a receptionist and she stuck a sticker on my appointment letter with my ticket number on it (I906 – so I was the 6th immigrant visa of the day).

You then enter a big waiting room with windows lined up along one wall and then more around the corner. As others have said, there is a section at the bottom of the room that sells snacks and drinks etc. I sat down at 7.50am (so didn’t take that long to get into the Embassy) and then, at 8.15am, I was called to booth 1 to go through my paperwork. Very abrupt Chinese woman who just wanted originals (no photocopies) of all our documents. She took:
  • One passport photo for each of us (which she scanned in)
  • Payment confirmation for the MRV fee and courier receipt
  • Birth certificates for both of us
  • Divorce decree
  • Deed poll
  • Police certificate
  • I134 and letter from my fiance’s employer
She never asked for any of my fiance’s pay stubs or tax returns. She scanned my fingerprints and then told me to go and sit down to be called for my interview. I tried to read on my kindle but, because the screen flashes up ticket numbers every couple of seconds, you have to look up every time it dings to see if it’s your number! I was finally called for my interview at 9am and had to go around the corner to booth 15. Very nice American guy there who made me hold up my right hand and swear an oath. Then he had to take my fingerprints twice (once to ‘sign’ my oath for me and then again to ‘sign’ for my son). Lots of clicking on his screen and didn’t talk to me for a few minutes, then he handed me back all my original documents and asked me the following questions:
  • How to pronounce my fiance’s surname (it’s polish)
  • How did we meet
  • Where does my fiancé live (then we had a bit of a chat as he has family in south Texas)
  • How does he get on with my son
  • Have I met his children
  • Have we both just been divorced the once
  • How to pronounce the name of the eye condition I have and how it affects me (I can’t drive)
Then he asked me about my son’s father. This was the bit I was freaking about as I have 2 letters from my ex - one granting me full custody of our son, the other giving us permission to move (with associated parenting plan) but neither of those documents were notarised. He asked me if my son’s father was aware of move to the US. I said yes, and that I had letters from him if he’d like to see them. The guy’s response was ‘nah’. I’m actually surprised he didn’t even want to look at them given how serious a problem that could potentially be!

Anyway, he then said that our visas were approved and we should get our passports back in 2 weeks

I left the Embassy and called my fiancé (3am his time but he hadn’t slept as he was too excited/nervous!) and then went and had a good old British fry up
Old Aug 15th 2014, 12:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 & K2 Interview Experience

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Anyway, he then said that our visas were approved and we should get our passports back in 2 weeks
Outstanding! Well done... and congratulations to you all.

Ian
Old Aug 15th 2014, 4:56 am
"Ignore Imbecile replies"

florida12 is an unknown quantity at this point

We’re K1/K2 applicants but, as my son is only 5 (and a monkey!) I decided not to bring him with me to the interview.

I stayed over at a nearby hotel the night before, didn’t sleep particularly well as was too nervous, so ended up in the Starbucks just round the corner from the Embassy at 6am. Finally got to the Embassy at 7am (my appointment time was 8.30am) and started queuing with everyone else behind these trolley type things that they wheeled out. Some Embassy workers walked through the queue asking us to have our passports, DS160 printouts and appointment letters ready for checking, and handed out plastic bags for mobiles and tablets. They also told the men to take off their belts and empty their pockets. When I got to the front of the queue the lady wrote ‘IV’ on my letter and checked both mine and my son’s names off her list.

I then had my paperwork checked again by a security bloke before heading into the airport-style security hut (they send you through in groups of 4). You then have to walk round the Embassy building to the entrance where your paperwork is checked again by a receptionist and she stuck a sticker on my appointment letter with my ticket number on it (I906 – so I was the 6th immigrant visa of the day).

You then enter a big waiting room with windows lined up along one wall and then more around the corner. As others have said, there is a section at the bottom of the room that sells snacks and drinks etc. I sat down at 7.50am (so didn’t take that long to get into the Embassy) and then, at 8.15am, I was called to booth 1 to go through my paperwork. Very abrupt Chinese woman who just wanted originals (no photocopies) of all our documents. She took:
  • One passport photo for each of us (which she scanned in)
  • Payment confirmation for the MRV fee and courier receipt
  • Birth certificates for both of us
  • Divorce decree
  • Deed poll
  • Police certificate
  • I134 and letter from my fiance’s employer
She never asked for any of my fiance’s pay stubs or tax returns. She scanned my fingerprints and then told me to go and sit down to be called for my interview. I tried to read on my kindle but, because the screen flashes up ticket numbers every couple of seconds, you have to look up every time it dings to see if it’s your number! I was finally called for my interview at 9am and had to go around the corner to booth 15. Very nice American guy there who made me hold up my right hand and swear an oath. Then he had to take my fingerprints twice (once to ‘sign’ my oath for me and then again to ‘sign’ for my son). Lots of clicking on his screen and didn’t talk to me for a few minutes, then he handed me back all my original documents and asked me the following questions:
  • How to pronounce my fiance’s surname (it’s polish)
  • How did we meet
  • Where does my fiancé live (then we had a bit of a chat as he has family in south Texas)
  • How does he get on with my son
  • Have I met his children
  • Have we both just been divorced the once
  • How to pronounce the name of the eye condition I have and how it affects me (I can’t drive)
Then he asked me about my son’s father. This was the bit I was freaking about as I have 2 letters from my ex - one granting me full custody of our son, the other giving us permission to move (with associated parenting plan) but neither of those documents were notarised. He asked me if my son’s father was aware of move to the US. I said yes, and that I had letters from him if he’d like to see them. The guy’s response was ‘nah’. I’m actually surprised he didn’t even want to look at them given how serious a problem that could potentially be!

I left the Embassy and called my fiancé (3am his time but he hadn’t slept as he was too excited/nervous!) and then went and had a good old British fry up
Congrats and love the indepth info on your big successful day. Well done and all the best.
One question for you... you mentioned the Chinese woman wanting originals.
I only have a copy of the long birth certificate. As my deceased mum had the original but I do not have that, but I had found copies of my birth certificate amongst her personal things. Would this be an issue then, and if so, how do I go about obtaining an original. I was born in Yorkshire, now living in London. Most of my life.
I assume you had 2 birth certificate as one was for your son?

Reading your experience has me more determined to get this going smoothly now!!

Last edited by florida12; Aug 15th 2014 at 5:05 am.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 5:09 am
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florida12
Congrats and love the indepth info on your big successful day. Well done and all the best.
One question for you... you mentioned the Chinese woman wanting originals.
I only have a copy of the long birth certificate. As my deceased mum had the original but I do not have that, but I had found copies of my birth certificate amongst her personal things. Would this be an issue then, and if so, how do I go about obtaining an original. I was born in Yorkshire, now living in London. Most of my life.
Also, was the I-134 the original too? I assume you had 2 birth certificate as one was for your son?

Reading your experience has me more determined to get this going smoothly now!!
Is your birth certificate printed in red, titled Certified Copy. ..... and written in ink? If it is then that is as original as you get in the UK system. The "original" is the entry in the register held by the register office. If it is a only a photocopy you can just apply online at the GRO or the relevant Yorkshire register office for a new certified copy for the princely sum of about £12.50.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Is your birth certificate printed in red, titled Certified Copy. ..... and written in ink? If it is then that is as original as you get in the UK system. The "original" is the entry in the register held by the register office. If it is a only a photocopy you can just apply online at the GRO or the relevant Yorkshire register office for a new certified copy for the princely sum of about £12.50.
I have the red one too but it is short! Thank you. I shall get onto that next week. Phew. Glad you had put in the description too. Many thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 5:37 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florida12
I have the red one too but it is short! Thank you. I shall get onto that next week. Phew. Glad you had put in the description too. Many thanks.
Yep, certified copy is as good as it gets but you MUST have the long form version (the one that shows both your parents' names). And yes I had 2, one for me and one for my son.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations - great write up of the interview experience.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:12 am

Yep, certified copy is as good as it gets but you MUST have the long form version (the one that shows both your parents' names). And yes I had 2, one for me and one for my son.
Thank you and congrats again!!
Old Aug 15th 2014, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Great in depth write up of your interview experience. Congrats!!!
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:15 pm
Hoppity hop...

Didn't want to start a new thread but just wanted to say:

WE GOT MARRIED!!!

Had the most amazing day yesterday and just back in the land of the living now! Big thanks again to everyone here that helped through the visa process

Now where'd I put that adjustment of status paperwork...
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations BunnyGirl

hope you find your AOS paperwork
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations
Old Nov 6th 2014, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

WE GOT MARRIED!!!
Congratulations to you both!

Ian
Old Nov 6th 2014, 8:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Rene
Old Nov 7th 2014, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.
Lx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.