Reload this Page >

K1 INTERVIEW HAS LEFT ME BAFFLED

Wikiposts

K1 INTERVIEW HAS LEFT ME BAFFLED

Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough
Default K1 INTERVIEW HAS LEFT ME BAFFLED

Hey guys. So I had my interview today and its left me a bit baffled really. Everything was going fine until the support for the i-134. The forms both my fiance and I had read stated you need at least two supporting forms of evidence to state her income. We had a letter from her employer, 2 of her monthly pay stubbs and a letter from her bank stating her average and current balances as well as her details of length of time with the bank.
The offical at the embassy catergorically stated that I need her tax returns. I pointed out to the fact that it says you only 2 forms of support. His only defence was that it says at least two forms of evidence(it actually states on her pay stubbs her tax returns). If its the case that you need the tax returns why dont they just say this. Or am I missing something. Perhaps he's right and we've missed something does anyone know? The only thing we read that stated you need your tax returns was if your self employed which she isnt(she's a teacher).
On the form he's given me regarding lack of evidence he's ticked the box which states that I need her 1040 tax returns, then he's hand written on that we also need a w2 tax form. Is this usual?

For anyone whose interview is coming up, I was somewhat taken aback by a couple of his questions. The one I was expecting was the why here not there and he never even asked that. He was more concentrating on how we met(the specifics, who started talking to who) what attracted me to her and what we have in common. It was almost as if he was asking me for relationship advice.

Anyhoo the outcome is I have to get this tax return info and have it couriered down to the embassy using their courier service. Anyone know how much this will cost and how long they generally take?

As always any thoughts on any of these matters would be greatly appreciated?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 INTERVIEW HAS LEFT ME BAFFLED

Originally Posted by fogga4000
On the form he's given me regarding lack of evidence he's ticked the box which states that I need her 1040 tax returns, then he's hand written on that we also need a w2 tax form. Is this usual?
Yes, this is usual. It's an embassy requirement that they need to see her most current 3 years of tax returns. Her best bet is to get tax transcripts directly from IRS, they are free and they don't take long to obtain. She can get them by fax right away, I believe. I don't think W-2's are needed if she uses tax transcripts, but just to be sure, she should go ahead and include copies of the W-2's as well.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Ok thanks Rene. She has sent me her 1040 as she filed it online is this adequate for the 1040 or is it something they send back? Sorry for my ignorance on this matter but I know nothing of the U.S tax system.

Thanks
Stu

PS they have only asked for her 2007 return, would you stop at that?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks Rene. She has sent me her 1040 as she filed it online is this adequate for the 1040 or is it something they send back? Sorry for my ignorance on this matter but I know nothing of the U.S tax system.

Thanks
Stu

PS they have only asked for her 2007 return, would you stop at that?
Yes, just give them what they asked for at the interview. If they only asked for 2007, just give them that. A copy of the 1040 is fine, plus a copy of her W-2.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys. So I had my interview today and its left me a bit baffled really. Everything was going fine until the support for the i-134. The forms both my fiance and I had read stated you need at least two supporting forms of evidence to state her income. We had a letter from her employer, 2 of her monthly pay stubbs and a letter from her bank stating her average and current balances as well as her details of length of time with the bank.
The offical at the embassy catergorically stated that I need her tax returns. I pointed out to the fact that it says you only 2 forms of support. His only defence was that it says at least two forms of evidence(it actually states on her pay stubbs her tax returns). If its the case that you need the tax returns why dont they just say this. Or am I missing something. Perhaps he's right and we've missed something does anyone know? The only thing we read that stated you need your tax returns was if your self employed which she isnt(she's a teacher).
I definitely sympathize with your bewilderment. I read the I-134 the same way the two of you did. It certainly says to include tax returns if you are self-employed. However, there have been many helpful posts on this forum stating that tax returns are a must. I have also noted several posters suggesting having a look at the I-864 for guidance in terms of the financial requirements the Consular Officer will be looking for when reviewing the I-134.

Fortunately, it sounds like as soon as this is taken care of you will be on your way to join your wife in the States. Best of luck to you.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Californian
I just had a quick look at the i864 and it's 19 pages long so going to give it a miss unless I have to get into it. I have that much other stuff going on at the moment I dont want to overload my particularly small brain.
The official also stated the 17500 threshold for support was salary after deductions when I'd been led to believe that was total. Any thoughts guys?

Stu
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:20 am

Thanks Californian
I just had a quick look at the i864 and it's 19 pages long so going to give it a miss unless I have to get into it. I have that much other stuff going on at the moment I dont want to overload my particularly small brain.
The official also stated the 17500 threshold for support was salary after deductions when I'd been led to believe that was total. Any thoughts guys?

Stu
It's gross income, not net. In other words, it's the total income, not the salary after deductions.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Thats what I thought but he suggested after deductions(specifically stated taxes).
Well I guess we'll send these 2 forms and see what the outcome is. Hopefully it'll be sufficient.

Cheers
stu

ps as always I really appreciate all of your advice on all of these matters. Thank you
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:38 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Californian

Stu
You don't need the I-864 until later; after marriage when you are filing to stay in the US.

It sounds like you got a new guy who has not become used to London's 'usual' K-1 interview evidence. Oh well, no tragedy, just a short delay.

Did your fiance send her W-2s also? Since he asked, you'd better include them.
Remember: it's an adventure!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Yes ONE GREAT, BIG, LONG ADVENTURE. no it's all good really, hopefully just a technicality. She's going to scan the w2 tomorrow and send it to me. So I'll call the courier probably thursday.

Stu
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

fitzeyhall is just really nicefitzeyhall is just really nicefitzeyhall is just really nicefitzeyhall is just really nicefitzeyhall is just really nicefitzeyhall is just really nicefitzeyhall is just really nicefitzeyhall is just really nice

Yeah i had all teh tax forms etc when i went to my interview but they didnt ask for them i think you're a bit unlucky there for some reason, hope all goes well.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to clarify . . . with the I-134, for a K-3, the petitioner doesn't need to fill one out, correct? My income is UK based --- so I thought it would be better to have my Dad do the I-134, as he is well established in the US. But now I'm getting a bit nervous Thanks for any input.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by californian
Just to clarify . . . with the I-134, for a K-3, the petitioner doesn't need to fill one out, correct? My income is UK based --- so I thought it would be better to have my Dad do the I-134, as he is well established in the US. But now I'm getting a bit nervous Thanks for any input.
californian,

It's probably better to start your own separate thread with this question, since this thread is for K-1. You are asking about K-3, which is different. If you like, I can separate it out for you, or you can start your own new thread. It's just better not to mix up information on a K-1 and K-3 in the same thread...it gets very confusing for others.

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:06 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I sent my fiancee with my 2004-2007 tax transcripts for his K1 interview. It mentions on the London embassy website about the latest return being notarised so I had my 2007 notarised. It seems like some Con Offs ask for transcripts since it proves that the returns were filed. I'm having my mom who is our joint sponser get hers for our AOS instead of sending just the returns. It seems like they are getting stricter at the embassy since his interview a month ago . It was mentioned in another post that there is a changeover of Con Offs at the embassy starting July 1st. I'm wondering if they are newbies trying to pull their weight?My fiancee said that his Con Off did ask for evidence of support but just glanced through mine. I did send him on with a big pile of support though. Tax returns paystubs, bank statements, mutual fund and stock statements too. The officer had no interest in my joint sponsers affidavit though but I had a decent amount of assets.You can get tax transcripts faxed to you. If you call up it takes about a week or so to receive them by mail. Also as I've learned on here make copies of everything! Hopefully you will get everything sorted and be approved soon!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

kstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to all

For anyone whose interview is coming up, I was somewhat taken aback by a couple of his questions. The one I was expecting was the why here not there and he never even asked that. He was more concentrating on how we met(the specifics, who started talking to who) what attracted me to her and what we have in common. It was almost as if he was asking me for relationship advice.

Anyhoo the outcome is I have to get this tax return info and have it couriered down to the embassy using their courier service. Anyone know how much this will cost and how long they generally take?

As always any thoughts on any of these matters would be greatly appreciated?
Same exact thing just happened to us, My fiance's interview was suspended. The part that really got me upset was I DID sent in all that stuff with my affidavit. My fiance had it in an envelope and handed it to the person conducting the interview. He never opened it. So I had to send all that in again. I just called yesterday and arranged for the Passport pick up service. I think its 24 pounds round trip. So hopefully in the next week or so he will get his Visa stamped into this passport!

Good luck

~Kate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.