Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 (I-129F) UK Child Custody Documentation

Wikiposts

K1 (I-129F) UK Child Custody Documentation

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:04 am
Just Joined

spraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to all
Default K1 (I-129F) UK Child Custody Documentation

I have just had the immigration office in town review my I-129F before I send it off in the mail and they said I needed to have documentation of proof that my fiancee (Spraggy) has sole custody of his children. My fiancee has had sole custody of the children for the past 10 years but they don't have anything in writing. Is there something particular we need to provide, or will a written statement signed by both parents and put together by an attorney suffice?

The first time I went to the immigration office, they said this wasnt required until the K1 interview, now they are telling me I need it. Any help or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks (Michelle/Spraggy's Fiancee)
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 (I-129F) UK Child Custody Documentation

They'll need it for the visa interview; you'll need to get something formalized.
For the petition, not required.

How old are the children?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

spraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to allspraggy0558 is a name known to all

Children are 16 and 14
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
They'll need it for the visa interview; you'll need to get something formalized.
For the petition, not required.

How old are the children?
Meauxna

Thanx once again for all yr help sorting out a very grey area. Getting something formalized already and at long last our I-129F can get sent and registered I already feel this is gonna be a great day!!

Spraggy
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Hate to be a pest peeps but does Michelle need to file I-134 Affidavit of support with our I-129F? Just read this on visajourney.com and I'm confused

Please help cos I need it help that is!!

Spraggy
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spraggy0558
Hate to be a pest peeps but does Michelle need to file I-134 Affidavit of support with our I-129F? Just read this on visajourney.com and I'm confused

Please help cos I need it help that is!!

Spraggy
No. The I-134 is not due until you attend the visa interview.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

I have just had the immigration office in town review my I-129F before I send it off in the mail and they said I needed to have documentation of proof that my fiancee (Spraggy) has sole custody of his children. My fiancee has had sole custody of the children for the past 10 years but they don't have anything in writing. Is there something particular we need to provide, or will a written statement signed by both parents and put together by an attorney suffice?

The first time I went to the immigration office, they said this wasnt required until the K1 interview, now they are telling me I need it. Any help or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks (Michelle/Spraggy's Fiancee)
Hello Spraggy,

I am in the process of going through Leave to Remove for my 2 year old son. His father initially granted permission but then when it came time to agree a Consent Order with my lawyer he stalled for months. Last November I had to submit an application to the Family Court for Leave to Remove my son from the UK. I hope that your fiance can amicably agree with his children's mother but if it wobbles at all come back to this thread and I'll point in the direction of some LTR reading.

As Meauxna has said, your fiance won't need the LTR documentation until the actual visa interview. My understanding is that having sole custody (or residency as it's called here in the UK) is not enough. Your fiance must show a document which gives express permission for the children to move to the USA. This permission can come from the children's mother or the UK Family Court. As I said, hopefully this will be done amicably and without the need for formal LTR proceedings.

Best of luck and kindest regards.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk
Hello Spraggy,

I am in the process of going through Leave to Remove for my 2 year old son. His father initially granted permission but then when it came time to agree a Consent Order with my lawyer he stalled for months. Last November I had to submit an application to the Family Court for Leave to Remove my son from the UK. I hope that your fiance can amicably agree with his children's mother but if it wobbles at all come back to this thread and I'll point in the direction of some LTR reading.

As Meauxna has said, your fiance won't need the LTR documentation until the actual visa interview. My understanding is that having sole custody (or residency as it's called here in the UK) is not enough. Your fiance must show a document which gives express permission for the children to move to the USA. This permission can come from the children's mother or the UK Family Court. As I said, hopefully this will be done amicably and without the need for formal LTR proceedings.

Best of luck and kindest regards.
JeepGirl - Hi

Actually, my friendship with my ex-wife is usually ok. I've had sole custody for over 10 years now and we were already in discussion about her writing a letter e.g. I (Name) being of sound mind give my fullest permission to (Father) to remove our children from UK permanently for the sole purpose of emigrating to USA - blah blah blah. Is this enough or do I need a court originated document?

Thanx for your help so far, it's really appreciated
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I had Judges ruling giving me sole custody, however our divorce was complicated financially by pensions etc. The bit about custody was one line buried amongst it all on page 3 of 5!

I got ex to do a handwritten letter with his address and telephone number on it also giving consent. I dont know if they looked at the custody document, but when I was handed everything back, the handwritten letter was on the top and the custody document was on the bottom.

If your on good terms maybe a visit to a family lawyer together could get a document drawn up and signed for a one off fee, thats what I would do just for peace of mind.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this on visajourney.com and I'm confused
If so, then I suggest you stop reading visajourney.com.

Ian
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If so, then I suggest you stop reading visajourney.com.

Ian
It *is* bound to lead to confusion...
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:38 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meauxna
It *is* bound to lead to confusion...
In more ways than one.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

JeepGirl - Hi

Actually, my friendship with my ex-wife is usually ok. I've had sole custody for over 10 years now and we were already in discussion about her writing a letter e.g. I (Name) being of sound mind give my fullest permission to (Father) to remove our children from UK permanently for the sole purpose of emigrating to USA - blah blah blah. Is this enough or do I need a court originated document?

Thanx for your help so far, it's really appreciated
Originally Posted by traceym
I had Judges ruling giving me sole custody, however our divorce was complicated financially by pensions etc. The bit about custody was one line buried amongst it all on page 3 of 5!

I got ex to do a handwritten letter with his address and telephone number on it also giving consent. I dont know if they looked at the custody document, but when I was handed everything back, the handwritten letter was on the top and the custody document was on the bottom.

If your on good terms maybe a visit to a family lawyer together could get a document drawn up and signed for a one off fee, thats what I would do just for peace of mind.
Hi Spraggy - you don't necessarily need a court originated document but as Tracey suggested it would be sensible to have the Letter of Consent for the move drawn up by a Family Lawyer. All you need is a document that leaves no doubt in the mind of the US Embassy that you have permission for the children to move with you. It sounds like you have it all under control.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

To all of you that have contributed

Thanx all of you for yr help and advice, we really do appreciate it. Just spoke to my ex-wife and she's seen a solicitor about drawing up a 'Letter of Consent' giving me her fullest permission to take the squids abroad, which he's gladly going to raise but as usual he'll charge me an arm and a leg for!!! Wot the hell, if it gets me wot I want then he can charge what he likes - the facist pig (Just hope he's not an anonymous poster on here )

Anyways, Michelle and I would like to thank you all from the Heart of my Bottom

Spraggy n Michelle
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:16 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Oooooh, my favorite subject!

The letter of consent may be enough for immigration, but you might want to check about the schools - I have LTR (after the battle from hell with my ex) and sometimes the terminology of 'residency' in the document causes furrowed brows at school. School may want to actually see something from a court that states you have custody.

If your relationship is amicable it should be really fast, quick appearance in front of a judge and a formal document made up.

I'm in the process of trying to find someone over here that can put my UK order into a US format - ie translate that 'residency' in UK terms = Custody in US terms so there is no more confusion.... not having much luck right now.

You are so so lucky that you have a decent ex - there is a really long thread in the NZ forums 'Stepchildren'.... you should read some of the nightmares in there