British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   K1 blues :( (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/k1-blues-212613/)

mcjimbo Feb 24th 2004 2:16 am

K1 blues :(

Any other K1er's out there who are loosing there mind?

I swear I must check my case status at least 5-10 times a day in the faint hope I've recieved my 2nd NOA. But the more I read on this forum the more I look negatively on the whole process and our chances of an approval before our wedding. God I just feel like i'm loosing it!

As if the living away from your loved one isn't hard enough that now the chances of being approved within the already extremely long waiting period is becoming less of a reality! You would think 1/2 a year is more than enough time to process a bloody k1 application!

The other problem I have is my conscience. I really want to be honest with my current employer and give them plenty of notice and time to find a replacement for me. But the reality is I can't because I need the money and i'm sure they'd let me go early if they knew i was leaving.

This whole process is just so damn draining in everyway! Sorry for venting, but I feel the others here who are going through or have been through this process are the only ones who can relate to my situation. My family and friends try, but they really don't seem to understand how hard it is.

The frustrating thing is if we chose to live together in Australia or England this process would of been a lot shorter.....

SecretGarden Feb 24th 2004 2:26 am

Re: K1 blues :(

Hi James,
I wanted to take a moment just to tell you that it *will* get better, it *will* happen and it *is* worth it (I know that these are things you know intellectually but your heart is so lifeless being without her that it's hard to remember sometimes).

Mr. P. and I had to wait almost three years total to be together because of prior marriages and the legal process involved in all that. We know what it's like to be apart and to hang up the phone with a huge sigh, knowing that we'll talk "tomorrow" and to leave one another in huge sobbing puddles at the airport here or there. It's horrible. But it does end.

We've been through so much with the visa process and the accident right before his departure and throwing a wedding together at the last minute, and even though he's been my husband for almost two weeks, I still find it hard to believe when he brings me coffee in the morning and he's standing there at the door waiting when I get home from work.

We are living proof that it does happen. Hang in there James, you are so close now. We had a first NOA with NSC of May 29 and were approved on November 25---181 days. You're so close, and it *will* get better.

Hugs to you and that lovely girl of yours,
~SecretGarden

jcapulet Feb 24th 2004 2:29 am

I know what it's like to check the status online all the time, I was starting to think I was getting obsessive compulsive with it LOL :D I wish the timelines in Nebraska weren't so long, that's such a long time to wait. About work, isn't 2 or 3 weeks standard notice for resignation? If you really think they'd let you go if they knew...then don't feel so bad about the 2 weeks notice ;)

Good luck to you and your fiancee, I hope you get your approval soon! :D

Juliet

Noorah101 Feb 24th 2004 2:41 am

Hi McJimbo,

Believe me, I know the process is long. I haven't seen my fiance for an entire year! That was our choice, though...to wait until his interview to see each other. Trouble is, we never thought his interview would be taking this long to happen! But, it is slowly progressing and we know the result will be worth it. So hang in there (you probably get sick of hearing that...lol), take it day by day, and eventually you'll see that approval notice! :)

As for your job, think of it this way. If you wanted to change jobs, you wouldn't go tell your employer "I'm going to start job hunting now, ok?" You would just job hunt and when you found something else you'd give proper notice. This is the same thing. You are working on something else in your life, meanwhile working at your job. When you know something definite, you can let the employer had adequate notice. That's what I would do.

Best Wishes!
Rene

Ray Feb 24th 2004 2:43 am

I still find it hard to believe when he brings me coffee in the morning and he's standing there at the door waiting when I get home from work.
WHAAAAT!!!! The man need serious training......this is how it should be.....Joyce get up at 7am..brings me my breakfast in bed at 8am..then she goes to work....I get up about 9am...meander thru the day....nap time for me is 4pm-6pm ....she get home at 5.15pm and wakes me at 6pm with coffee...Seems a good system to me..

WiAnSiempre Feb 24th 2004 2:51 am

Originally posted by ray6
WHAAAAT!!!! The man need serious training......this is how it should be.....Joyce get up at 7am..brings me my breakfast in bed at 8am..then she goes to work....I get up about 9am...meander thru the day....nap time for me is 4pm-6pm ....she get home at 5.15pm and wakes me at 6pm with coffee...Seems a good system to me..
LOL - Ray 6, you're on the fast track to get the boot :) I can't wait til my sweety is here -I know he'll be just like Mr. P bringing me coffee in the morning. Plus, I work from home - Hmmmm I think it's going to be difficult working that first week..or month :)

McJimbo - Hang in there, as SG said, it will happen. I know how frustrating it is though. There's night's I get off the phone with him and I just have a crying fit because I miss him so much. In the end it'll all be worth it :)

Angela

Ankh Feb 24th 2004 2:56 am

Originally posted by mcjimbo
I swear I must check my case status at least 5-10 times a day in the faint hope I've recieved my 2nd NOA.
Good luck, because i'm a week off my interview at the US Embassy and my case status STILL only says "We've received your application, it takes 150/180 days to process this type of application"...

Ignore it, stay positive, we've all been through it and by the time you get your interview you'll be happy and excited, but scared as hell and you'll suddenly realise as boring and horrible as the waiting was - at least it wasnt the moment of truth when everything builds up to one day and u have to have 15 heart attacks a day over stuff you might need or have forgotten ;) you have that to come hehe

Gaylord Feb 24th 2004 3:19 am

Hey Mate

It does get better honestly.... Last time I saw my g/f and my son was
december the 27th, and I dont fly into the usa until 2nd of April, I was
granted the K1 in November, its hard.. only reason Ive left it so long is
that I work for a small company and one of the ladies were having a lot of
time off with breast cancer, so I said I would cover for her until she gets
back, well shes back in a few weeks, then Im off.

It took us about 8 months from start to finish for the visas.

Hang in there buddy, it does happen in the end.

Leslie Feb 24th 2004 3:32 am

Ray,

Throwing a pitcher of ice water on you is not breakfast in bed.

Leslie

mcjimbo Feb 24th 2004 3:47 am

Thanks a lot for all your kind words!

I guess i just need that reassurance sometime that something is actually happening. It just you have to go so long before hearing anything it just makes you wonder whether anything will happen at all.

I'm so glad I found this forum and you great bunch of people! Honestly without your advice and reassurance i'd probably be in a looney bin by now :)

jcapulet Feb 24th 2004 4:18 am

Joyce get up at 7am..brings me my breakfast in bed at 8am..
Breakfast in bed? Does that mean you sleep in the kitchen, Ray? hehehehee :D:D:D

Jacqueline Bergstedt Feb 24th 2004 4:45 am

Hey there Mcjimbo, you are right, it is bloody hard. We have all gone
through it. But hang in there, Im sure if youve waited six months already
then you must be somewhere near the finishing post. As for handing in
notice early, it was a dilemma I churned over too. I gave 2 months
eventually because I was a key member of staff. However, it doesnt sound
like you get much loyalty from your company if you are worried that they
will let you go early. I think that works both ways, don't you? Give them
what is required in your contract and nothing more.

regards, Jacqueline

"mcjimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Any other K1er's out there who are loosing there mind?
    > I swear I must
    > check my case status at least 5-10 times a day in the faint hope I've
    > recieved my 2nd NOA. But the more I read on this forum the more I look
    > negatively on the whole process and our chances of an approval before
    > our wedding. God I just feel like i'm loosing it!
    > As if the living away
    > from your loved one isn't hard enough that now the chances of being
    > approved within the already extremely long waiting period is becoming
    > less of a reality! You would think 1/2 a year is more than enough time
    > to process a bloody k1 application!
    > The other problem I have is my
    > conscience. I really want to be honest with my current employer and give
    > them plenty of notice and time to find a replacement for me. But the
    > reality is I can't because I need the money and i'm sure they'd let me
    > go early if they knew i was leaving.
    > This whole process is just so
    > damn draining in everyway! Sorry for venting, but I feel the others here
    > who are going through or have been through this process are the only
    > ones who can relate to my situation. My family and friends try, but they
    > really don't seem to understand how hard it is.
    > The frustrating thing
    > is if we chose to live together in Australia or England this process
    > would of been a lot shorter.....
    > --
    > James Davidson
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Bluegrass Lass Feb 24th 2004 5:35 am

Thanks a lot for all your kind words!

I guess i just need that reassurance sometime that something is actually happening. It just you have to go so long before hearing anything it just makes you wonder whether anything will happen at all.

I'm so glad I found this forum and you great bunch of people! Honestly without your advice and reassurance i'd probably be in a looney bin by now :)
At least you can check your online status! We never rec'd an NOA, and when we eventually found out a case number (through an email address that was a miracle to find), it never worked online! We were very much frustrated because we didn't even know if TSC had our case and if we should send in another one! Right when we were seriously considering sending in another application, or sending in the copies of the first one, we miraculously received NOA2.

Scott (the UKC) and I totally understand what you are going thru, as does everyone else here. I know you've mentioned before that if you didn't receive NOA2 by a certain time, you would consider something a little more drastic. Please don't do anything that would jeopardize your K1 application. If you don't get approved in time, you can always change the wedding date. I know it's a hassle to do so, as well as depressing, but it's not worth you lying to get into the country, and then possibly not being able to adjust status. Not to mention, the USCIS could kick you out, and then you have to apply for a K3 and be separated even longer. Just try to have a little more patience, and remember the old cliche "Good things come to those who wait."

Cheers,
Jamie

Steffi Feb 24th 2004 7:13 am

Like the others I just want to chime in to say that: I know what you're going through! When I was waiting for my NOA2 I had some serious depressions. It was even harder because my school ended in June and I didn't have anything to do all day except wait for that damn paper. I woke up in the morning to check the mail in hope of a letter only to find nothing and having a whole day ahead of me with nothing to do but wait for it to be over so I could go to bed and wake up again to hope for the letter. It was really killing me...but it came eventually.
You are close to 6 months...the letter HAS to come any day now. I know you probably tell yourself every day that it will come any day, but at this point in time it seriously should come any day. I don't think you will have to postpone the wedding or anything. I seriously believe that you will get something soon and that your timeline will pretty much go as planned.
Like the others said, hang in there, and keep yourself busy because it will make the time go by faster. Before you know it you will have that letter and you will be saying good-bye's to your family and friends and in the arms of your love. You can do it!! :)

Monty_burns Feb 24th 2004 7:45 am

I feel your pain James. I mailed my application to Texas in November. Got my
NOA1 reciept from Missouri. Had to get a Congressional aid inquire for me to
get any answers out of Missouri. Missouri sends my app back to Texas. Now I
dont know who has my application.
And yes Im very frustrated, tired and drained. I guess this is the old USCIS
test of will. If you can hang on and endure there torture then the
relationship just might work.
Good Luck

Monty.....:)
"mcjimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Any other K1er's out there who are loosing there mind?
    > I swear I must
    > check my case status at least 5-10 times a day in the faint hope I've
    > recieved my 2nd NOA. But the more I read on this forum the more I look
    > negatively on the whole process and our chances of an approval before
    > our wedding. God I just feel like i'm loosing it!
    > As if the living away
    > from your loved one isn't hard enough that now the chances of being
    > approved within the already extremely long waiting period is becoming
    > less of a reality! You would think 1/2 a year is more than enough time
    > to process a bloody k1 application!
    > This whole process is just so
    > damn draining in everyway! Sorry for venting, but I feel the others here
    > who are going through or have been through this process are the only
    > ones who can relate to my situation. My family and friends try, but they
    > really don't seem to understand how hard it is.
    > The frustrating thing
    > is if we chose to live together in Australia or England this process
    > would of been a lot shorter.....
    > --
    > James Davidson
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Matthew Udall Feb 24th 2004 9:47 am

Originally posted by Ankh
Good luck, because i'm a week off my interview at the US Embassy and my case status STILL only says "We've received your application, it takes 150/180 days to process this type of application"...
Your post provides yet another example of the futility of the case number crunching going on by some who then post reports saying something like, "there are still 4 cases waiting for approval from way back in April 2003". I suspect some of these people might use this "suspect" information about old cases still pending (when the case really has already been approved) as ammunition when they whine to their representatives.

Unless these number crunchers actually know the people whose case number they are looking at (to confirm whether or not the case is really still pending), they have no way of knowing if the data they are looking at is correct.

Who cares about old cases anyway? Crunch the most recent number if you need to do something, as it’s the newest cases that indicate where they are as far as processing cases is concerned. Or better yet, just look at the reports the service centers provide to you and chill out! Stop bugging them and let them do their job (but certainly bug them if they have screwed up or a case gets lost).

Ankh Feb 24th 2004 10:26 am

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Your post provides yet another example of the futility of the case number crunching going on by some who then post reports saying something like, "there are still 4 cases waiting for approval from way back in April 2003". I suspect some of these people might use this "suspect" information about old cases still pending (when the case really has already been approved) as ammunition when they whine to their representatives.

Unless these number crunchers actually know the people whose case number they are looking at (to confirm whether or not the case is really still pending), they have no way of knowing if the data they are looking at is correct.

Who cares about old cases anyway? Crunch the most recent number if you need to do something, as it’s the newest cases that indicate where they are as far as processing cases is concerned. Of better yet, just look at the reports the service centers provide to you and chill out! Stop bugging them and let them do their job (but certainly bug them if they have screwed up or a case gets lost).
I'll be honest with ya mate, i didnt understand a word of that.

mystie888 Feb 24th 2004 10:34 am

Who cares about old cases anyway? Crunch the most recent number if you need to do something, as it’s the newest cases that indicate where they are as far as processing cases is concerned. Of better yet, just look at the reports the service centers provide to you and chill out! Stop bugging them and let them do their job (but certainly bug them if they have screwed up or a case gets lost).
With all due respect Mr. Udall, it's not as simple as "chilling out" when you are separated from the one you love and you have no idea how long it will be before you will get to see them again.

~Mystie

Matthew Udall Feb 24th 2004 10:43 am

I'll be honest with ya mate, i didnt understand a word of that.
Which part? Are you wondering what I'm referring to when talking about number cruchers?

If so, what I'm talking about is some who go to the USCIS case status checking page and input sequential case numbers to see which numbers relate to K-1 petitions. They then compile their data and post reports about the progress or lack of progress of a given service center on what appears to be pending K-1 cases.

And some of their reports show that there are very old cases waiting for approval, however your story confirms what I've been telling them all along… that sometimes the system will indicate a case is still pending when it has actually been approved long ago (and therefore their "reports" are based on faulty data).

I absolutely don't have anything against these "number cruchers". They are not wasting anybody's time (except their own) or slowing down anybody's case (slowing down a service center) by doing this and they can provide some insight on where a given service center is at as far as processing is concerned. I'm just saying that the online system quite often does not reflect approvals, so focusing on "older" case that seem to be still pending (according to the online system) seems to me to be a waste of time. And since this information is suspect, why whip everybody up into a tizzy about an old case that has probably already been approved?

Focusing on the more current cases makes much more sense to me.

Ankh Feb 24th 2004 10:47 am

Which part? Are you wondering what I'm referring to when talking about number cruchers?

If so, what I'm talking about is some who go to the USCIS case status checking page and input sequential case numbers to see which numbers relate to K-1 petitions. They then compile their data and post reports about the progress or lack of progress of a given service center on what appear to be pending K-1 cases.

And some of their reports show that there are very old cases waiting for approval, however your story confirms what I've been telling them all along… that sometimes the system will indicate a case is still pending when it has actually been approved long ago (and therefore their "reports" are based on faulty data).

I absolutely don't have anything against these "number cruchers". They are not wasting anybody's time (except their own) or slowing down anybody's case (slowing down a service center) by doing this and they can provide some insight on where a given service center is at as far as processing is concerned. I'm just saying that the online system quite often does not reflect approvals, so focusing on "older" case that seem to be still pending (according to the online system) seems to me to be a waste of time. And since this information is suspect, why whip everybody up into a tizzy about an old case that has probably already been approved?

Focusing on the more current cases makes much more sense to me.
Ahh ok thankyou for clearing that up for me. I'm new to the forums and never heard those terms used before :).

I find it quite strange that the case status of mine wasnt updated but it doesnt bother me, People should just be calm and sit out the waiting time then something will happen.

THOUGH saying that - my status WAS updated last October from 150/180 days to "15/30" remaining...for one day...one day i just happened to check on, so i got all happy and excited and - then it changed back and didnt ever change again lol.

Hypertweeky Feb 24th 2004 10:47 am

I swear I must check my case status at least 5-10 times a day in the faint hope I've recieved my 2nd NOA. But the more I read on this forum the more I look negatively on the whole process and our chances of an approval before our wedding. God I just feel like i'm loosing it!

As if the living away from your loved one isn't hard enough that now the chances of being approved within the already extremely long waiting period is becoming less of a reality! You would think 1/2 a year is more than enough time to process a bloody k1 application!

The other problem I have is my conscience. I really want to be honest with my current employer and give them plenty of notice and time to find a replacement for me. But the reality is I can't because I need the money and i'm sure they'd let me go early if they knew i was leaving.

This whole process is just so damn draining in everyway! Sorry for venting, but I feel the others here who are going through or have been through this process are the only ones who can relate to my situation. My family and friends try, but they really don't seem to understand how hard it is.

The frustrating thing is if we chose to live together in Australia or England this process would of been a lot shorter.....

Hey there James:):)

I am so sorry to hear all that:), I hope you get your NOA2 soon so you don't have to change the wedding date, Come on NSC!!
((((JAMES))) here is a cybernetic hug for you, Cheer up James I know you can do it!!!:):)

Matthew Udall Feb 24th 2004 10:47 am

Originally posted by mystie888
With all due respect Mr. Udall, it's not as simple as "chilling out" when you are separated from the one you love and you have no idea how long it will be before you will get to see them again.

~Mystie
I disagree. While I certainly understand the feelings one gets by being separated from a loved one (I've been separated from my loved one for 2 years now), flailing around is not going to change that. Try meditation or other relaxing techniques to alleviate the stress from this process. You will probably enjoy the wait more than by engaging in futile, stress heightening activities. Staring at the pot does not make it come to a boil any faster ;-).

Besides, when you fell in love with an international fiancée you knew you and your loved one would have to go through the process of immigration and you knew that this process would take some time, right?

For the typical case it's not a matter of "if" it will be approved, but rather a matter of "when" it will be approved. And due to the very nature of this work, of course you won't know exactly "when" the visa will be issued. But you will see your loved one again, so it's not as dramatic as finding out you will never be with your loved one again (which is the situation I find myself in).

Ankh Feb 24th 2004 10:52 am

You will probably enjoy the wait more than by engaging in futile, stress heightening activities. Staring at the pot does not make it come to a boil any faster ;-).
Couldnt agree more, thats the exact reason i never signed up for this place before now (right before my interview).

All it did, with all due respect to everyone - as its not their fault but my own, was remind me of things i might've forgotten, depress me, worry me etc, and while i understand the community aspect and am glad it helps a lot of people - for me personally i had to avoid it and do my own thing to make the time go faster :).

Hypertweeky Feb 24th 2004 10:54 am

Couldnt agree more, thats the exact reason i never signed up for this place before now (right before my interview).

All it did, with all due respect to everyone - as its not their fault but my own, was remind me of things i might've forgotten, depress me, worry me etc, and while i understand the community aspect and am glad it helps a lot of people - for me personally i had to avoid it and do my own thing to make the time go faster :).
This forum has kept me sane!! I am glad I found it!!!!:)

JoshsCarole Feb 24th 2004 11:04 am

THOUGH saying that - my status WAS updated last October from 150/180 days to "15/30" remaining...for one day...one day i just happened to check on, so i got all happy and excited and - then it changed back and didnt ever change again lol.
Oh yeah, I remember that...We were all like "OH OH OH!!!!!...................Nope." *g*

James HANG IN THERE!!!! I'm sure your fiancee is really worth the wait :)

Ankh Feb 24th 2004 11:08 am

Originally posted by JoshsCarole
Oh yeah, I remember that...We were all like "OH OH OH!!!!!...................Nope." *g*
Dammit that happened to everyone? now i REALLY wish i had been on the board then lol, i wouldnt've got my hopes up :D

Hypertweeky Feb 24th 2004 11:09 am

Dammit that happened to everyone? now i REALLY wish i had been on the board then lol, i wouldnt've got my hopes up :D
:D:D

JoshsCarole Feb 24th 2004 11:11 am

Haha!! It seems like it happened to a lot of people, regardless of which service center and all. Crazy schtuff. :p

Ankh Feb 24th 2004 11:14 am

Originally posted by JoshsCarole
Haha!! It seems like it happened to a lot of people, regardless of which service center and all. Crazy schtuff. :p
I guess this is the Immigration idea of a practical joke? wow, those government types have a...strange sense of humor ;).

Just yet another complete newbie type question a second, whats the deal with the POE thing? yeah its pathetic i'm sure..but...you cant just fly into the nearest airport to where you wanna be? or am i COMPLETELY not understanding the entire deal? (very, very possible)

mystie888 Feb 24th 2004 11:16 am

I disagree. While I certainly understand the feelings one gets by being separated from a loved one (I've been separated from my loved one for 2 years now), flailing around is not going to change that. Try meditation or other relaxing techniques to alleviate the stress from this process. You will probably enjoy the wait more than by engaging in futile, stress heightening activities. Staring at the pot does not make it come to a boil any faster ;-).

Besides, when you fell in love with an international fiancée you knew you and your loved one would have to go through the process of immigration and you knew that this process would take some time, right?

For the typical case it's not a matter of "if" it will be approved, but rather a matter of "when" it will be approved. And due to the very nature of this work, of course you won't know exactly "when" the visa will be issued. But you will see your loved one again, so it's not as dramatic as finding out you will never be with your loved one again (which is the situation I find myself in).

I'm sorry that you don't think saying "chill out" is oversimplifying the emotions involved here. That was my point. That it's not that simple.

Matthew Udall Feb 24th 2004 12:04 pm

Originally posted by mystie888
I'm sorry that you don't think saying "chill out" is oversimplifying the emotions involved here. That was my point. That it's not that simple.
I understand the emotions involved here, and "chilling out" or trying to cope and not drive ones self crazy (when its not going to help or change anything) seems like a good idea.

Also, when I used the term "chill out", I was actually referring to those who spend time crunching numbers that basically mirror what the Service Center reports already tell them, or those who constantly bug the service centers with multiple inquiries which have the effect of slowing down "everybody's" case (including your case and my client's cases). By using that phrase, I wasn't trivializing anybody's emotions.

mrs.jar2b Feb 24th 2004 12:36 pm

Hi James,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling ... I'm sending lots of good vibes your and Angie's way for that NOA2 to show up very very soon!! And when it does, believe me, it gets easier! Suddenly, after you reach that hurdle, you find yourself with a new-found faith in the system and waiting a week or two for your case to move through each of the next series of steps seems like a piece of cake! I feel like I've been updating our timeline every week with the progress that's been made since our K3 petition approval. Another thing I've found to be a great relief is that we, like you, are going through the consulate in London and *they respond to e-mail*!. If you have a question you can write to them and they actually write back so you feel much less like a number in a huge system.

I wish you the best and hope that approval arrives any day now!!!

Take care,
Jackie :)

P.S. How was Barcelona??!! :)

mystie888 Feb 24th 2004 12:44 pm

I understand the emotions involved here, and "chilling out" or trying to cope and not drive ones self crazy (when its not going to help or change anything) seems like a good idea.

Also, when I used the term "chill out", I was actually referring to those who spend time crunching numbers that basically mirror what the Service Center reports already tell them, or those who constantly bug the service centers with multiple inquiries which have the effect of slowing down "everybody's" case (including your case and my client's cases). By using that phrase, I wasn't trivializing anybody's emotions.

Thanks for explaining. I struggle every day to find constructive ways to take my mind off this whole process and not dwell on how empty my home and heart feel being away from my fiance. I guess you just touched a nerve. I'm sorry to hear that you are also suffering from a separation.

~Mystie

dave w Feb 24th 2004 7:32 pm

for whatever purpose in the grand scheme of life, you have been condemned to Nebraska Hell. May God have mercy on you.

mcjimbo Feb 24th 2004 8:33 pm

Wow this thread really got large :)

I'm glad that we can have our little online group therapy sessions :). I've always believed talking things through is the best way to deal with them.

Thanks again for all your encouragement. Part of me knows we'll be approved, but theres just that sceptical part of me that doesn't!

Its like i've got an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other, maybe i need to start focussing on the good vibes as opposed to the bad.

Thats Hyper and Jackie for your words. I just can't wait until till this whole process is over and i'm posting my updated timeline, and interview experience on here. Fingers crossed!

James

Steffi Feb 25th 2004 4:43 am

Actually I'm going to have to disagree with that, BUT I'm more than likely an acception to that. I remember more of my life in the US than I do in Europe, so when I had an American boyfriend/fiance I had no idea what was ahead of me. Afterall, I'd been living "all" my life in the US! As I'd been living a "normal" life as an "American" girl it was pretty weird having to get permission to get married to the guy so that I could stay in the country that I considered my home. It has all been quite weird indeed. :)

Noorah101 Feb 25th 2004 5:49 am

Originally posted by Steffi
Actually I'm going to have to disagree with that, BUT I'm more than likely an acception to that. I remember more of my life in the US than I do in Europe, so when I had an American boyfriend/fiance I had no idea what was ahead of me. Afterall, I'd been living "all" my life in the US! As I'd been living a "normal" life as an "American" girl it was pretty weird having to get permission to get married to the guy so that I could stay in the country that I considered my home. It has all been quite weird indeed. :)
Steffi,

That sounds like a good episode for The Twilight Zone. That time/space warp sure gets in the way of immigration, doesn't it?! LOL

Rene

Mattias Hembruch Feb 25th 2004 7:40 am

In article <[email protected]>,
Ankh <member21640@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >Originally posted by JoshsCarole
    >> Haha!! It seems like
    >it happened to a lot of people, regardless of which service center and
    >all. Crazy schtuff. :p
    >I guess this is the Immigration idea
    >of a practical joke? wow, those government types have a...strange sense
    >of humor ;).
    >Just yet another complete newbie type question a second,
    >whats the deal with the POE thing? yeah its pathetic i'm sure..but...you
    >cant just fly into the nearest airport to where you wanna be? or am i
    >COMPLETELY not understanding the entire deal? (very, very possible)

No, not at all (AFAIK).

The "big deal" about the POE involves EAD (Employment Authorization
Document).

SOME POEs (Port of Entry), and most recently ONLY JFK on any kind of regular
basis, are giving a passport stamp for K1 entrants, which means you don't
have to then apply for EAD which can take several weeks to a couple of
months (and once you get married, the temporary EAD expires).

SO - IF you need to work ASAP, you WILL want to carefully consider your POE
- you just MIGHT get EAD without any additional hassle, and be able to work
the same day, rather than a month later...

If you're just going to take it easy until the wedding (my plan), then POE
doesn't really matter.

That's as far as I understand it. I could be wrong.

Mattias

Exile Mar 4th 2004 9:52 am

"mcjimbo" wrote:

If they'd drop you just like that then I wouldn't feel like I owed them
anything!

I don't think that my company would get rid of me if I told them what I was