Reload this Page >

K-3 Interview this morning in London

Wikiposts

K-3 Interview this morning in London

Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

sunnylondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-3 Interview this morning in London

Hi all, I wanted to let you know that I had my interview this morning and all went very swiftly - much to my relief (the big building did intimidate me alittle).

So, I thought it might be useful to jot down a few observations I made. Each person is unique in their situation, circumstances and application and keeping that in mind, these were my observations today...

1. Didn't expect a bit of a queue outside the embassy building.
They check for items which aren't allowed in the building and also scan you/your bag etc. Fortunately its was a sunny day - but its handy to take an umbrella if you think it looks rainy as there is no cover while you queue...

2. Didn't realise they meant ALL electrical items (i.e. USB-stick, car key etc).
I had not taken my mobile phone but forgot about my USB-stick and car keys which were still in my hand-bag. (They also made me take off my watch and told me to keep it in my hand-bag).

3. Got charged 4 pounds for safe-keep at the local pharmacy.
I was advised to go to a local pharmacy (Audley Pharmacy I think) who charged me 4 pounds to safe-keep all my items (rather than the 10 pounds I was expecting). Had I known that it would be only 4 pounds, I would have brought along my mobile and kept it with the pharmacy....

4. Accepted the I-864 form
My husband completed the I-864 form instead of the I-134. I did not have the original I-134 but took along a scanned copy which my husband emailed. They first said I'd have to post in the original I-134 but then accepted the original I-864.

5. Interview was about 10mins...
I was asked about how I had met my husband/when we got engaged-married etc etc...The officer was very pleasant/friendly and 'to-the-point' which was good.

6. Noticed a place to purchase snacks in the waiting room.
At the back of the waiting room, you can buy snacks i.e. chocolates, crisps, soft drinks etc.... Again, didn't realise - good to know...

I've very much appreciated the posts (and responses to my posts) that people have provided within this forum - it has been an excellent source of support during my visa application process.

In return, I hope my observations are helpful to other regular folk out there...Good Luck!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Paul_UK is just really nicePaul_UK is just really nicePaul_UK is just really nicePaul_UK is just really nicePaul_UK is just really nicePaul_UK is just really nicePaul_UK is just really nicePaul_UK is just really nice
Default Re: K-3 Interview this morning in London

Originally Posted by sunnylondon
Hi all, I wanted to let you know that I had my interview this morning and all went very swiftly - much to my relief (the big building did intimidate me alittle).

So, I thought it might be useful to jot down a few observations I made. Each person is unique in their situation, circumstances and application and keeping that in mind, these were my observations today...

They check for items which aren't allowed in the building and also scan you/your bag etc. Fortunately its was a sunny day - but its handy to take an umbrella if you think it looks rainy as there is no cover while you queue...

2. Didn't realise they meant ALL electrical items (i.e. USB-stick, car key etc).
I had not taken my mobile phone but forgot about my USB-stick and car keys which were still in my hand-bag. (They also made me take off my watch and told me to keep it in my hand-bag).

I was advised to go to a local pharmacy (Audley Pharmacy I think) who charged me 4 pounds to safe-keep all my items (rather than the 10 pounds I was expecting). Had I known that it would be only 4 pounds, I would have brought along my mobile and kept it with the pharmacy....

My husband completed the I-864 form instead of the I-134. I did not have the original I-134 but took along a scanned copy which my husband emailed. They first said I'd have to post in the original I-134 but then accepted the original I-864.

I was asked about how I had met my husband/when we got engaged-married etc etc...The officer was very pleasant/friendly and 'to-the-point' which was good.

At the back of the waiting room, you can buy snacks i.e. chocolates, crisps, soft drinks etc.... Again, didn't realise - good to know...

I've very much appreciated the posts (and responses to my posts) that people have provided within this forum - it has been an excellent source of support during my visa application process.

In return, I hope my observations are helpful to other regular folk out there...Good Luck!
Thankyou for youe experience it all helps
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be doing your AOS in the USA, or do you still have the option to return to the UK for the Immigrant Visa? Do you know?

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Will you be doing your AOS in the USA, or do you still have the option to return to the UK for the Immigrant Visa? Do you know?

Rene
Hiya, not quite sure. I think I'll do it from there...? Actually, I've been told that for about three months upon my arrival I won't be able to work or leave the country... do you know about this?

Oh by the way, I thought of another observation for today:

7. Paying for the Visa
I didn't take the exact money and then saw the notice when I went to pay for the visa, saying 'No change given'. Fortunately, the kind lady must have seen my horrified-face and managed to give me change. However, its better instead to take the right money if possible, just to avoid skipping a heartbeat...
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, not quite sure. I think I'll do it from there...? Actually, I've been told that for about three months upon my arrival I won't be able to work or leave the country... do you know about this?
When you arrive on the K-3, and you plan to adjust your status (AOS) in the USA, you will need to file an AOS package. This consists of the following forms:
I-485 Application to Adjust Status
G-325A Biographical Info (yes, same as you did for the K-3, LOL)
I-864 Affidavit of Support
I-765 (for EAD employment authorization document)
I-131 (for AP advance parole, travel permission)

The total fee for the above forms, all filed together, is $1,010.

You will also need to have a vaccination supplement done by a USCIS doctor here in the USA (just paperwork, no vaccinations - you had those for your overseas medical). There will be a fee for that, the doctors set their own fees.

The K-3 visa used to be valid for 2 years to come and go in and out of the USA, so perhaps you don't need the I-131 for AP. So as far as I know, you CAN travel in and out of the USA right after you get here.

Also, when you receive your EAD, it should be valid for 2 years as well (as opposed to the 1-year ones that K-1's receive). It takes about 90 days to get the EAD after you file AOS. That's probably the delay you are thinking of.

Hope that helps,
Rene
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When you arrive on the K-3, and you plan to adjust your status (AOS) in the USA, you will need to file an AOS package. This consists of the following forms:
I-485 Application to Adjust Status
G-325A Biographical Info (yes, same as you did for the K-3, LOL)
I-864 Affidavit of Support
I-765 (for EAD employment authorization document)
I-131 (for AP advance parole, travel permission)

The total fee for the above forms, all filed together, is $1,010.

You will also need to have a vaccination supplement done by a USCIS doctor here in the USA (just paperwork, no vaccinations - you had those for your overseas medical). There will be a fee for that, the doctors set their own fees.

The K-3 visa used to be valid for 2 years to come and go in and out of the USA, so perhaps you don't need the I-131 for AP. So as far as I know, you CAN travel in and out of the USA right after you get here.

Also, when you receive your EAD, it should be valid for 2 years as well (as opposed to the 1-year ones that K-1's receive). It takes about 90 days to get the EAD after you file AOS. That's probably the delay you are thinking of.

Hope that helps,
Rene
Great - thank you! (although just for today I've not thought past getting this visa) :-) I'll start thinking about the next phase properly from tmw onwards... LOL
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi there, just a quick question - I was told by the visa officer during the interview that when they send my passport back, another envelope will also be sent which is sealed and should not be opened. Apparently, it is for the immigration officers at the airport upon my arrival in the states. Just wanted to know - what is in this envelope? Thanks...
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:13 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, just a quick question - I was told by the visa officer during the interview that when they send my passport back, another envelope will also be sent which is sealed and should not be opened. Apparently, it is for the immigration officers at the airport upon my arrival in the states. Just wanted to know - what is in this envelope? Thanks...
All the documents relating ... and if there is a big one ..the chest xray
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:35 am

The sealed envelope is large, and it contains all your immigration paperwork that you've submitted, with USCIS comments and notes on them. The POE officer will open it and look through it. Make sure you don't tear it or open it accidentally.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

When this group started, that item was called The Mysterious Brown Envelope.

I'll bet you find lots of interesting things if you google that name!
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

colinda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi...congrats on your progress! I am just waiting on the interview date now..have aready returned the ds-230, I-156 forms etc last week.

1 - How long did you have to wait till you heard regarding the interview date
after returning those forms?

2 - What expenses are incurred at the actual interview? You mention paying for the visa....wasnt this paid with the original application?? ($455)

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by colinda
2 - What expenses are incurred at the actual interview? You mention paying for the visa....wasnt this paid with the original application?? ($455)

Thanks
If by "original application", you mean the I-130 and I-129F, those are just petitions (not applications). There is a fee paid stateside to file those petitions. Then there is a fee to be paid for the actualy visa when it gets issued. I am not sure how much that visa fee is these days...but it is a separate fee from the petition filing fees.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

colinda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rene....anyone know how much I need to be prepared for?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

1 - How long did you have to wait till you heard regarding the interview date
after returning those forms?
I waited about 4-6 weeks for an interview date. The actual date itself was about 2-3 weeks from the point of receiving the interview-date letter.

Also, the visa payment can be made by cash or by credit card (i.e. visa etc) but not debit cards...Best wishes
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene....anyone know how much I need to be prepared for?
If I remember correctly, I had to pay 131 dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.