make it so she can not return?

I hope if I were to divorce her that would do it, but the wedding
took place in Ukraine and I am told would need to divorce her there to
do any good this way.

PLEASE HELP
Randy

Old Oct 21st 2002, 11:50 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K 3 gone wrong

Originally posted by Randy Goldsmith:
Hello

I have been married to my wife for a year due to paper work she has
only been here for 3 months. Every time we have an quarrel she
threatens to call the police and say I beat her. Or to go to the DR
and run up a big bill.

I am tired of living this way, she is going home to Ukraine to
visit next month, and will be gone for a month. Is there a way I can

do any good this way.

PLEASE HELP
Randy
Sounds to me like she is homesick! She is threatening to do these things to hurt you - because she is in pain (homesick). This will pass in time but I do beleive there is no way of keeping her out of the country.

If a marriage is valid around the world no matter where you got wed, a divorce is valid around the world no matter where you get divorced!

I think you need to work this out - find out how you can live with the homesickness until it wanes. Don't just shut her out because she is struggling with her new life and you want an easy life - strikes me as you are being selfish!

Patrick
Old Oct 21st 2002, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't agree that your wife's behavior is her reaction to homesickness. Anyone, in my way of thinking, who uses threats of filing criminal charges for acts not committed is manipulative and controlling. As for financial retribution for your disagreement with her, if DR stands for doctor, then let her go to one. Perhaps there is a medical reason why she is behaving in this manner and a doctor will be assistance in helping her.

I, too, thought that a divorce was possible in the US even if you married outside of it. Her country might not recognize it but the US would.

As for restraining her re-entry, doubt there is anything you can do about that. The K-3 allows her to leave and re-enter the US. She still has to file for adjustment of status and that will be based on your marriage. So ask a good immigration attorney if you have any leverage in that area if that is still your thought.

If you just want out of the marriage, then divorce her and get on with your life and allow her to get on with hers.

Hello

and run up a big bill.

do any good this way.

PLEASE HELP
Randy
Old Oct 21st 2002, 1:31 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete:
Don't agree that your wife's behavior is her reaction to homesickness. Anyone, in my way of thinking, who uses threats of filing criminal charges for acts not committed is manipulative and controlling. As for financial retribution for your disagreement with her, if DR stands for doctor, then let her go to one. Perhaps there is a medical reason why she is behaving in this manner and a doctor will be assistance in helping her.

I, too, thought that a divorce was possible in the US even if you married outside of it. Her country might not recognize it but the US would.

As for restraining her re-entry, doubt there is anything you can do about that. The K-3 allows her to leave and re-enter the US. She still has to file for adjustment of status and that will be based on your marriage. So ask a good immigration attorney if you have any leverage in that area if that is still your thought.

If you just want out of the marriage, then divorce her and get on with your life and allow her to get on with hers.

Hi Rita,

Its a good job your not a marriage counseller - none of this work through your problems with you is there.

More of the fast food culture advice of if it doesn't work flush it down the toilet and get a new one! Sometimes things aren't as black and white as she needs a doctor - homesickness is a horrible thing and makes people act this way, people need time to adjust and if their partner is not understanding to there needs then they get defensive and lash out - the only person she knows she can lash out at is him. I was in the same boat when my wife moved to England - if we quarreled she would walk out the house and I would not see her for hours and hours - she would go to Travel agents and look flight prices and then go to the movies to see something that would remind her of home and have popcorn (comforting things).

What chance does Randys wife have of going to the movies to see a Ukrainian movie (slim I would think) so there is no escape. If when she goes home she realises the marriage is not working she will stay in the Ukraine.

Your from NY aren't you Rita, I thought you might advise him to go and see Tony Soprano and he will sort it out!

Women are to be loved not understood

Patrick
Old Oct 21st 2002, 2:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: K 3 gone wrong

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hi Rita,

Its a good job your not a marriage counseller - none of this work through your problems with you is there.

What chance does Randys wife have of going to the movies to see a Ukrainian movie (slim I would think) so there is no escape. If when she goes home she realises the marriage is not working she will stay in the Ukraine.

Your from NY aren't you Rita, I thought you might advise him to go and see Tony Soprano and he will sort it out!

Women are to be loved not understood

Patrick
What a crock of horse manure Patrick. ;-) The man does not want a marriage counsellor. If he did and she did, then they would be seeking professional help rather than asking on a NG about ways to get rid of the offending spouse. They have been married for a while now.

Your view of what might constitute homesickness is your opinion and you are most certainly free to think that way. I see anyone who resorts to threatening behavior as being manipulative and controlling. My view; my entitlement. Homesickness is "usually" displayed with depression, unwillingness to participate in daily life, crying, etc. Not with threats of retribution and financial ruin. Those actions are usually results of anger and hostiity. And if she is angry who knows but that there might be a basis for it in her husband's behavior.

And for the record, I never watched the Sopranos and never will. I don't know any hit men or anyone with a criminal record for that matter. I'm a Sex In The City viewer.

As for the last sentence of your post, I find that most offending. How do you love someone you can't understand and how can you imply that a woman's emotions and thought processings are so alien that they cannot be comprehended by a man. But then as a woman, perhaps I should not be offended. Man's thought processings are rather simple and don't tend to encompass anything more than simplistic avenues. ;-))
Old Oct 21st 2002, 2:12 pm
Pagan Sex God

What a crock of horse manure Patrick. ;-) The man does not want a marriage counsellor. If he did and she did, then they would be seeking professional help rather than asking on a NG about ways to get rid of the offending spouse. They have been married for a while now.

Your view of what might constitute homesickness is your opinion and you are most certainly free to think that way. I see anyone who resorts to threatening behavior as being manipulative and controlling. My view; my entitlement. Homesickness is "usually" displayed with depression, unwillingness to participate in daily life, crying, etc. Not with threats of retribution and financial ruin. Those actions are usually results of anger and hostiity. And if she is angry who knows but that there might be a basis for it in her husband's behavior.

And for the record, I never watched the Sopranos and never will. I don't know any hit men or anyone with a criminal record for that matter. I'm a Sex In The City viewer.

As for the last sentence of your post, I find that most offending. How do you love someone you can't understand and how can you imply that a woman's emotions and thought processings are so alien that they cannot be comprehended by a man. But then as a woman, perhaps I should not be offended. Man's thought processings are rather simple and don't tend to encompass anything more than simplistic avenues. ;-))
Hey don't blame me for the last line - that was Oscar Wilde! I just used it as I walking down a more simlistic avenue!
Old Oct 21st 2002, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

and run up a big bill.

do any good this way.

PLEASE HELP
Randy
Hi:

I'm an immigration lawyer and not a marriage counselor. So I'll just handle your legal questions.

1. No, once she has permanent residence, conditional or otherwise, the US citizen spouse has no power to compel removal or refusal of entry. That is entirely up to the government, not you. This is enshrined in the Violence Against Women Act -- you obtained a wife, not a slave.

2. Marriage is legally valid if valid under the law where celebrated. Divorce is valid if valid if valid under the law where ONE of the spouses resides. This is a general rule and there are exceptions. For example, a NY resident goes to the Domican Republic and gets a divorce. If the other spouse makes no legal appearance in the D.R., no divorce as far as NY is concerned. But lets say that NY spouse travels to the D.R. and the other NY spouse makes a written formal "appearance" in the D.R. -- then it is valid. There were a pair of cases from the Supremes in the late 1940's called "Williamson" involving a North Carolina couple where one of them got a Nevada divorce and then remarried. Interesting reading.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 3:20 pm
Sara999

...for your disagreement with her, if DR stands for doctor, then let her go to one. Perhaps there is a medical reason why
Inever thought of that, I though he meant Dominican Republic

Old Oct 21st 2002, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]
I have been married to my wife for a year due to paper work she has only been here for 3 months. Every time we have an quarrel she threatens to call the police and say I beat her. Or to go to the DR and run up a big bill.
[/QUOTE]

It is difficult from a post to know if your wife is homesick or "mean". However, the first months in a foreign country are always the most difficult ones, and she might very well act strange because she needs "attention" and support to go through these first months.

Here is a story. I have been used since I am kid to spend quite a lot of time in foreign countries in Europe by myself. When I left for the US to go to graduate school, I just couldn't wait to go home after the first term. For Christmas break, I was traveling back home with a friend, and as soon as we realized that our last exam was earlier than we had expected, we went to the travel agency to change our tickets. The last exam was on Friday from 2:00pm-4:00pm. I asked for ticket for Saturday, and my friend was really surprised and protested to get tickets for Friday for a plane at 7:00pm (getting back home from the University is 15mins, airport is about 1h away, need to be at the airport 2 hrs in advance...). So that is what we did, and 3 months later, after having counted down a lot of days, we rushed out of our exam [really couldn't care less about our final that day!], and just made it in time for the plane. In London, we found the strength to run like crazy to make our plane to Paris, and to argue so that they would let us on the plane that was about to leave. After that first trip back home, I never had the same need to go home.

[SIZE]
I am tired of living this way, she is going home to Ukraine to visit next month, and will be gone for a month.
[/SIZE]

If she is homesick, she will recharge her batteries at home, and feel much better once back here.

If she does call the police and say that you beat her, I assume that they will be looking for some kind of evidence that you actually did beat her, and probably make a medical examination. So, I am not sure what she would gain by doing that, and on your side, you probably have nothing to be afraid of.

Anyway, if you want to give it a shot to the homesick part, here is a couple things that would make me happy when I am homesick. You might find this list helpful if you are looking to fetch some ideas:
- Anything special from our "relationship".
- Anything food related that reminds me of France.
- Flowers are always good.
- Anything that I could be doing in Paris that I normally don't do in the US (museums, sitting in a cozy cafe, getting a pastry in the street, concert...).
- Anything that I prefer doing in the US than in Paris (biking, hiking, jazz bar, swing dancing, cookies...).
- Getting together with French friends.
- Calling my family and my friends in France.
- When we filed for AOS, my husband made a smart (and preventive) move to avoid homesickness while I was "stuck" waiting for AP/finishing my dissertation/looking for a job. I was playing with a cat at a petstore, having no intent to buy a cat at that point, but just because I love cats. It was not too difficult for him to persuade me\, later on to adopt this cat [that had been sitting on my lap for the 2 hours], although I knew it would be crazy to get a cat at his point (cross-country move 3 months later). Anyway, the next week-end, we returned to adopt the cat. The move with the cat was not even that bad :-), and I was really happy to have adopted the cat at that time.

Hope that this helps, and good luck with everything!

Caroline
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:37 pm
Margaret

Homesickness is threatening to call the police and falsely claiming
that your spouse has beat you up or running to the doctor and running
up a huge bill? I don't think so. How many people do you know that
show homesickness this way? I'm certainly not one of them. Even my
11 year old son is homesick at times but doesn't act like a looney
tune. Sorry, I say it as I see it.

Patrick wrote in message news:...
    > Originally posted by Randy Goldsmith:
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I have been married to my wife for a year due to paper work she has
    > > only been here for 3 months. Every time we have an quarrel she
    > > threatens to call the police and say I beat her. Or to go to the DR
    > > and run up a big bill.
    > >
    > > I am tired of living this way, she is going home to Ukraine to
    > > visit next month, and will be gone for a month. Is there a way
    > > I can
    > > make it so she can not return?
    > >
    > > I hope if I were to divorce her that would do it, but the wedding
    > > took place in Ukraine and I am told would need to divorce her
    > > there to
    > > do any good this way.
    > >
    > > PLEASE HELP
    > > Randy
    > >
    > Sounds to me like she is homesick! She is threatening to do these things
    > to hurt you - because she is in pain (homesick). This will pass in time
    > but I do beleive there is no way of keeping her out of the country.
    > If a marriage is valid around the world no matter where you got wed, a
    > divorce is valid around the world no matter where you get divorced!
    > I think you need to work this out - find out how you can live with the
    > homesickness until it wanes. Don't just shut her out because she is
    > struggling with her new life and you want an easy life - strikes me as
    > you are being selfish!
    > Patrick
    > --

Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:02 pm
Jumu

What kind of 'quarrel' is this, if she calls the police and visits a
doctor after it...
You don't beat her, don't you?

Rete wrote in message news:...

> I'm a Sex In The City viewer.

So am I, though I thought it was 'Sex And The City'
Great show.

greetings JuMu

Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:13 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Margaret:
Homesickness is threatening to call the police and falsely claiming
that your spouse has beat you up or running to the doctor and running
up a huge bill? I don't think so. How many people do you know that
show homesickness this way? I'm certainly not one of them. Even my
11 year old son is homesick at times but doesn't act like a looney
tune. Sorry, I say it as I see it.

> --
Hi,

the "acting like a looney" (technical term) is not a sympton of homesickeness but a reaction to the environment that envelopes it. If she is homesick it will manifest itself in many forms but if these "simple cries for attention" are ignored they become cries for help. Threatening to call the police is a cry for help - its a "will you for ****s sake wake up and address the problems I am having". She hasn't woken up one morning and started this, this has been a gradual decent.

I am still qujite amazed at the attitude of some of you that it would be easier to end the marriage after 3 months rather than try and sort it out. Marriage is difficult under normal circumstances without having the added pressures of homesickness. My wedding vows said "till death us do part" (hence the sopranos reference earlier - although I don't watch it, or sex in the city) not "till she pisses me off us do part" - Maybe nowadays till death is not always expected but 3 months is not long enough. The Fast food culture has a lot to answer for!

Absolutley no Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allen Poe or Mark Twain quotes in case they offend someone! (literature eh! so un-pc)

Patrick
Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by Patrick:

Absolutley no Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allen Poe or Mark Twain quotes in case they offend someone! (literature eh! so un-pc)

Patrick
Sorry Patrick but I'm not a fan of Wilde. I do know and enjoy Poe and Twain though ;-) So use the quotes but identify them as quotes for those of us unfamiliar of whence they came.

Fast food culture? Is that a new term for Generation X? I still love the Yuppies and Puppies terms. BTW I;m 54 so guess I am of neither of those generations.

Actually I'm not into quickie divorces myself. Was married for seven years before hubby decided that being a nomad and enjoying a bi-sexual lifestyle was more his speed than being a husband and daddy. And I'm still working on this marriage ;-) ... four years and counting.

Rete
Old Oct 21st 2002, 10:29 pm
Scarlett

>Absolutley no Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allen Poe or Mark Twain quotes in case
    >they offend someone! (literature eh! so un-pc)
    >Patrick

Well! I would just like to register how deeply offended I was by your latest
post, Patrick!

Not even a hint of old Oscar? WHAT can you be thinking of?

To lose him in one mail could be described as unfortunate. But this is not the
first Oscarless post I have seen from you today. And that, as Mrs Malaprop
would say, can only be described as careless!

Scarlett

Old Oct 22nd 2002, 12:14 am
Girard Bourque

Folinskyinla

I can understand why the law came about. But like a lot of well meaning
laws, is it being taking advantage of too much? Seems like I read an
article not too long ago, that stated this law was being used against the US
to obtain green cards. It seemed that females from Russia were being taught
to find a US fiancé/spouse. Go to the US and then claim abuse. He is at
fault without an investigation and they are automatically approved. The USC
is left with his head spinning.

Maybe they need to rethink or take a closer look at this law.

Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.