Reload this Page >

K-1 Visa Issued in Montreal!

K-1 Visa Issued in Montreal!

Old Jan 23rd 2003, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 Visa Issued in Montreal!

Hello,

First, let me thank everyone who helped me along the way to get where I am... I feel that I wouldn't have successfully received this visa today if I didn't find this newsgroup.

Here's a brief breakdown of what happened today at the US Consulate in Montreal.
The total time from starting the wait at the doors to leaving with my visa was 3.5 hours.

8:45AM standing in line

9:00AM got to the security checkpoint

9:03AM got my number

9:45AM called to the Window to provide all my origninal documents and one photocopy of the birth certificate. Also had the honour (honor) of parting with my first US$100 bill for the MRV (Machine Readable Visa) fee. This stage lasted 10 minutes.

11:15AM called to the Interview Room. Swore to tell the truth, asked what my fiancee's name was, what she did, where we will be living, checked on the DS-230 US Address that was provided. Approved visa. Advised to go back to the waiting room for 45 minutes to an hour for the visa. This stage lasted 10 minutes.

12:15PM Picked up my passport and the "mysterious brown envelope" with all my originals inside. Told to take this to POE when entering... Ta da!

Timeline: The following timeline is not one of "urgency" to get the visa. After we started the process, everything was moving so smoothly that I wanted to slow things down (ie: Interview date) in order to stay in Canada for a bit longer.

12-Aug-02 mailed I-129F from Upper Darby, PA

16-Aug-02 I-129F received by Vermont Service Center

20-Aug-02 date on first NOA

23-Aug-02 mailed from VSC

27-Aug-02 received first NOA

12-Sep-02 I-129 F approved, checked hotline on September 14

19-Sep-02 received second NOA

26-Sep-02 went to Commissionaires, Great Lakes (416) 363-9072 to obtain RCMP Police Certifcate, told it would take about 4 business days and C$20

30-Sep-02 received first package from US Consulate in Montreal. Forms were dated September 20, 2002

30-Sep-02 faxed request to Office of the Registrar General for Long Birth Certificate

9-Oct-02 sent DS-230 to Consulate in Montreal by Registered Mail

10-Oct-02 Consulate in Montreal received DS-230

11-Oct-02 had physical with Family Doctor, made appointment with MDS Executive Health Services for October 17, 2002

13-Oct-02 took pictures at photo booth in Scarborough Town Centre ($4 for 4 pics)

17-Oct-02 US Medical appointment @ MDS Executive Health

22-Oct-02 Picked up Medical results from MDS and Long Birth Certificate

8-Nov-02 sent Checklist to Consulate in Montreal by Registered Mail

27-Dec-02 received letter from US Consulate providing Interview Date of January 22, 2003

22-Jan-03 Interviewed and received visa
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

BTW... before anyone mentions it... I've submitted the above to the kamya site... One step ahead of y'all... only if I were the same with the upcoming AOS application...

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

krikkrak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Congrats on K-1 Visa Issued in Montreal!

Originally posted by eiloo
Hello,

First, let me thank everyone who helped me along the way to get where I am... I feel that I wouldn't have successfully received this visa today if I didn't find this newsgroup.

Here's a brief breakdown of what happened today at the US Consulate in Montreal.
The total time from starting the wait at the doors to leaving with my visa was 3.5 hours.

8:45AM standing in line

9:00AM got to the security checkpoint

9:03AM got my number

9:45AM called to the Window to provide all my origninal documents and one photocopy of the birth certificate. Also had the honour (honor) of parting with my first US$100 bill for the MRV (Machine Readable Visa) fee. This stage lasted 10 minutes.

11:15AM called to the Interview Room. Swore to tell the truth, asked what my fiancee's name was, what she did, where we will be living, checked on the DS-230 US Address that was provided. Approved visa. Advised to go back to the waiting room for 45 minutes to an hour for the visa. This stage lasted 10 minutes.

12:15PM Picked up my passport and the "mysterious brown envelope" with all my originals inside. Told to take this to POE when entering... Ta da!

Timeline: The following timeline is not one of "urgency" to get the visa. After we started the process, everything was moving so smoothly that I wanted to slow things down (ie: Interview date) in order to stay in Canada for a bit longer.

12-Aug-02 mailed I-129F from Upper Darby, PA

16-Aug-02 I-129F received by Vermont Service Center

20-Aug-02 date on first NOA

23-Aug-02 mailed from VSC

27-Aug-02 received first NOA

12-Sep-02 I-129 F approved, checked hotline on September 14

19-Sep-02 received second NOA

26-Sep-02 went to Commissionaires, Great Lakes (416) 363-9072 to obtain RCMP Police Certifcate, told it would take about 4 business days and C$20

30-Sep-02 received first package from US Consulate in Montreal. Forms were dated September 20, 2002

30-Sep-02 faxed request to Office of the Registrar General for Long Birth Certificate

9-Oct-02 sent DS-230 to Consulate in Montreal by Registered Mail

10-Oct-02 Consulate in Montreal received DS-230

11-Oct-02 had physical with Family Doctor, made appointment with MDS Executive Health Services for October 17, 2002

13-Oct-02 took pictures at photo booth in Scarborough Town Centre ($4 for 4 pics)

17-Oct-02 US Medical appointment @ MDS Executive Health

22-Oct-02 Picked up Medical results from MDS and Long Birth Certificate

8-Nov-02 sent Checklist to Consulate in Montreal by Registered Mail

27-Dec-02 received letter from US Consulate providing Interview Date of January 22, 2003

22-Jan-03 Interviewed and received visa
hey ian,

congrats to you!!

i just got my interview date set up on Feb. 5th at 9am (finally) in montreal...

When you arrived at 8h45, was the line long in front of the consulate?

Can you describe what paperwork did you bring to the interview? Were you required to have a photocopy of all document you were submitting?

For the affidavit of support, what documents did you provide?
I have only a letter from the employer, the tax form for the year 2001, and a bank statement ..

for all here's my time line with ian's format:

13-Sept-02 mailed I-129F from Syracuse, NY

15-Sept-02 I-129F received by Vermont Service Center

18-Sept-02 date on first NOA

23-Sept-02 received first NOA

14-Nov-02 I-129 F approved

17-Nov-02 received second NOA

20-Nov-02 requested Birth Certificate by e-mail from Paris City Hall

21-Nov-02 requested Police Certificate by e-mail from Casier Judiciaire in Nantes, France

22-Nov-02 went and requested Police Certificate from RCMP in Montreal (complexe guy-favreau) Paid $25

23-Nov-02 received letter from the US general Consulate in Montreal, requesting my proof of status in Canada

24-Nov-02 Sent photocopy of Canadian visa to US Consulate by registered mail

25-Nov-02 US Consulate received the photocopy of the Visa

26-Nov-02 received Birth Certificate, and RCMP Police Certificate by mail

27-Nov-02 received French Police Certificate by mail

06-Dec-02 Received Packet 3 by mail

09-Dec-02 Sent DS-230 Part I to the Consulate through registered mail
Called MDS for appointment. Set on the 17th of Dec.

10-Dec-02 Got 4 passport-size pictures taken from booth at Complex Desjardin

16-Dec-02 Received FedEx package from fiancé with affidavit of support and other financial related documents

17-Dec-02 Went to Medical Exam at MDS on Sherbrooke Street Cost $252 with 2 vaccination shoots one against MMD and the other against tetanos

19-Dec-02 Sent Checklist to the US Consulate

20-Dec-02 US Consulate received checklist

22-Dec-02 Went to Washington DC visit my fiancé for the holidays. Told the INS agent I had a K1 visa pending in Montreal, did not encounter any problem getting through.

05-Jan-03 Back in Montréal

13-Jan-03 Called the Consulate about the interview, they told me they haven't set the date yet, it might take 2 to 3 weeks before they set it

22-Jan-03 Called the Consulate about the interview, they told me it was set for Feb 5th 2003 at 9am

05-Feb-03 Interviewe and .... ??
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Congrats on K-1 Visa Issued in Montreal!

Originally posted by krikkrak
hey ian,

congrats to you!!

i just got my interview date set up on Feb. 5th at 9am (finally) in montreal...

When you arrived at 8h45, was the line long in front of the consulate?

Can you describe what paperwork did you bring to the interview? Were you required to have a photocopy of all document you were submitting?

For the affidavit of support, what documents did you provide?
I have only a letter from the employer, the tax form for the year 2001, and a bank statement ..

Hi Krikkrak,

well the foyer of the building is quite small with a few steps leading up to the security checkpoint... I hope it's not -30C when you go there like it was yesterday... but there's two lines... make sure you line up on the left hand side. There are two different types of letters Montreal issues... for K1 it was on the left. There were about 6 other people ahead of me... so if you want to go earlier...by all means... but not too early in case they don't let you into the first set of doors.

Well the only document you really needed to have photocopied was the birth certificate as they will give the original back to you but use the original to make sure the copy they have is the same. Give them the original of everything else in the checklist... and for the I-134, what you have is fine... make sure the I-134 is notarized... you may want to keep a photocopy of EVERYTHING for your own records as I understand we will be using these papers over and over for the AOS procedure.

Don't forget your US$100 and a recent dated letter from your fiancee stating she is still able and willing to marry you.

Other than that... you're cruising... seems like you have everything in order... police certs from all places you've lived for more than 6 months since attaining age 16... that will slow people down.

Best of Luck...

Ian