K-1 Visa Evidence

Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-1 Visa Evidence

I am posting my visa forms to the US embassy today. I have bank records, property ownership and other evidence that I can support myself it's the other stuff I need which is a pain.

I need evidence that we are fiance's. I bought my fiance a ring that used to be her grandmothers and was at a pawn shop, we didn't get a receipt but will try, if we can't what eveidence can I use?

I haven't got police cert's yet. The Met Police website says the cert/statement will be posted back within a maximum of 40 days but the US embassy site says this will take at least 40 days? Which is right? I don't want to get my interview and not have my police cert!

How long from submitting my forms to the US embassy does it take to get the interview? My fiance is due on 2nd April and I'm getting desperate! Thanks in advance!

PS: I've just been told something regarding the affidavit of support and self sponsoring. I wasn't aware that I had to complete (or get completed) the affidavit of support for a fiance visa?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:45 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Visa Evidence

PS: I've just been told something regarding the affidavit of support and self sponsoring. I wasn't aware that I had to complete (or get completed) the affidavit of support for a fiance visa?
What forms did you get from the consulate?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sibsie
What forms did you get from the consulate?
The DS-230 Part 1 (I got Part II from the net before and am not sure whether to send it or not?)
DS-156
DS-156K
Affadavit of Support
DS-2000
IV-15
and IV-15a

The letter says send back the DS-230 Part I, DS-156 and DS-156K immediately along with the doc checklist IV-15.

From the USEmbassy.gov site it states: Evidence of Support: An applicant for a fiance(e) visa is not required to file an affidavit of support, form I-864 at the time he or she applies for a fiance(e) visa. However, the Immigration and Nationality Act does require the applicant to establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer at the time of the application for a visa, and also to the satisfaction of an officer of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration at the time of application for admission to the US that he or she is not likely at any time to become a public charge.

Reading that I think I may need to attach bank statement, etc. What do you think?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

The confusing thing though is that it says at the top of the Instructions page

"1 AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, complete and return to us the following enclosed forms (just the forms please, not the documents):
A. DS-230 Part 1
B. DS-156
C. DS-156K

then it lists the doc that you need to bring to the interview, police cert, birth cert, eveidence of support, photo's, etc.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pauljarv
The confusing thing though is that it says at the top of the Instructions page

"1 AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, complete and return to us the following enclosed forms (just the forms please, not the documents):
A. DS-230 Part 1
B. DS-156
C. DS-156K

then it lists the doc that you need to bring to the interview, police cert, birth cert, eveidence of support, photo's, etc.

Should also say somewhere in there that you only send back the checklist when you have all the documents on hand. Not ahead of time in anticipation of having all the document in time for the interview.

And on the chance your self petition of support is not accepted an I-134 form your USC fiancee is required and if she is ineligible to be a financial sponsor then one from a co-sponsor as well.

Rete
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I am posting my visa forms to the US embassy today. I have bank records, property ownership and other evidence that I can support myself it's the other stuff I need which is a pain.

I need evidence that we are fiance's. I bought my fiance a ring that used to be her grandmothers and was at a pawn shop, we didn't get a receipt but will try, if we can't what eveidence can I use?

I haven't got police cert's yet. The Met Police website says the cert/statement will be posted back within a maximum of 40 days but the US embassy site says this will take at least 40 days? Which is right? I don't want to get my interview and not have my police cert!

How long from submitting my forms to the US embassy does it take to get the interview? My fiance is due on 2nd April and I'm getting desperate! Thanks in advance!

pauljarv:

i didn't have to submit the I-134 at the interview for my fiance's visa. now, each consulate could be different and we went through mexico. but, we only had to submit evidence that i make more than 125% of the poverty level....i had a letter from my employer stating my hire date and yearly salary as well as copies of my tax transcripts (of which they asked for one)

however, i also had letters from my bank stating total amount of deposits for the last year, etc. just b/c you never know for sure exactly what they will ask for...

as far as evidence of the relationship - a receipt of the purchase of a ring hardly shows evidence that you are engaged - so i wouldn't focus too much on that!

we took in copies of emails, copies of phone bills, copies of instant messages we had sent back and forth, plane tickets from trips to visit one another, pictures of us together, letters/cards from friends and family that said congrats on your engagement, etc, copies of our wedding registry....i'm sure not all that is or will be necessary....we were asked to turn over one month's phone bill

but it is always better to have more evidence than not enough!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

I was bemused by the evidence of engagement too and wasn't sure what they'd need. Thanks for the tips, I'll take emails, copies of phone bills and letter from employer along to the interview.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:54 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I was bemused by the evidence of engagement too and wasn't sure what they'd need. Thanks for the tips, I'll take emails, copies of phone bills and letter from employer along to the interview.
Paul I'll be taking along congrats on your engagement cards that I received. I've also got pics from a family engagement party. Maybe you have similar.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As part of the evidence of our engagement, I'm also bringing along "wedding plan" information. I printed information from the place we're having the reception and the shop where I'm planning to buy my wedding dress. I'm including any congratulations I got from friends on our engagement. I printed out pictures of our engagement party. We don't communicate via computer, but I'm bringing phone bills. We don't have a ring receipt either, but we're both wearing them, so that should be proof enough! lol

Good luck and best wishes!
Rene