Wikiposts

K-1 visa Dec 26th

Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 visa Dec 26th

Originally Posted by p.blow
The gentleman did say that i could be asked to supply information that i would be returning to the UK, like property in my name, if i have a job to return too. He also said they may not ask any questions at all.
This applies to EVERYONE who uses the visa waiver program, not just because you have a visa application in process. I've been asked questions and to show the return ticket and when my K-1 was processing I was questioned about that, kind of a joking with a smile "Now you're not going to get married are you?" but nothing painful. The worst entry I ever had was the one when I used my K-1 and that was not bad just time consuming and a lot of questions were asked.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:17 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

p.b,

This thread is littered with posts giving you that information.

Recognize that having a K1 visa application underway is not one of the things that makes you either eligible or not eligible to enter the USA as a temporary visitor, so you're not going to find the US government posting anything about that. The government generally posts what the law addresses, not the vastly larger list of things that the law does not address.

Regards, JEff

I have been searching for information that says i am allowed to enter the US under the VWP, while my K-1 is still processing, so i can vist my finace' for Christmas. All i could find was a document from the Hong Kong embassy, which did not make much sense!! I am going to call the embassy later and see if they can help me futher.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Dennis C is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Peter,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but there is no way you will make that wedding date. Make all the necessary arrangement to postpone the wedding now. You are only delaying the inevitable.

Why am I so sure (and negative) - I am going through exactly the same process as you, but have reached the stage of having attended the US Embassy interview and am awaiting my K1 visa and passport to be delivered to me by the Embassy couriers.

I think the most informative thing here would be just to give you my timelines:

Having had my I129F approved I got my first letter from the Embassy on the 18 September saying they had received my approved petition.

My second letter from the the Embassy came on the 19th October informing me that the interview will be on the 19th November (notice the monthly theme here).

I had my successful interview on the 19th and told my visa would be delivered to me in about 5 working days. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!

I am still waiting for the delivery now, some 7 working days later, and have just been informed (via a telephone call that cost me about £16) that it may well still be a week away from being delivered!

So allow closer to 2 to 2 1/2 weeks from your interview to being able to hold your visa in your hand. Sorry, but that is my experience.

And BTW I visited the US twice during the K1 processing, but do take some documents to confirm your continued UK residence.

Good luck with it all

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis C; Dec 1st 2009 at 3:17 am.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:28 am
Just Joined

p.blow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Dennis,

I have given up on having my wedding on December 26th, but because me and my finace have booked a reception hall, food drink etc and some of my family have booked airline tickets and accomadation, i do not want that to go to waste.

So me and my fiance' have decided to have the reception and get blessed by a family friend of my fiance' who is also a priest at the reception, that way it will not be a total loss, for everyone who has paid for stuff.

I phoned the embassy last week and they told me the first letter was sent to me last wednesday the 25th so i am hoping to recieve that any day now, after i have sent whatever i need to send to them i plan on going to the US on Saturday the 5th December to spend x-mas and new year with my fiance' and return early January.

When i return i should have an interview date set-up for me.

If there are any problems with me doing this, please let me know.

thanks for reading and all the positive posts people have written, it is very much appreciated
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Most experienced in the subject on here will be along to tell you that it's best not to have any kind of 'ceremony' that even loosely resembles a wedding - if USCIS get wind of it they may think you are married and your K-1 may be in jeopardy. At the very least if they suspect that you are married there will be an investigation which may delay things considerably.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So me and my fiance' have decided to have the reception and get blessed by a family friend of my fiance' who is also a priest at the reception, that way it will not be a total loss, for everyone who has paid for stuff.
I'm not exactly sure what a blessing involves. I don't know what kind of clothing you guys all plan to wear. But I agree with BritishGuy, don't do anything that even remotely resembles a wedding. Don't have anything official done, don't wear anything resembling wedding clothes, etc.

A better idea would just be to have a nice holiday party with your families (formal wear, OK if you want, but not bridal wear). And the priest can just be a guest at the holiday party.

Rene
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Dennis C is an unknown quantity at this point

I know its not what you want to hear, but I have to agree with BritishGuy36. If you insist on going ahead with it BE VERY CAREFUL.

Start off by getting used to calling it a Xmas party or something similar - do not make any mention whatsoever of ceremonies etc.

It is a complete lottery whether or not you get a 'mean spirited' immigration officer at the border who, if he (or she) is having a bad day, will deny you entry - trust me, I have had personal experience of this. So dont give them any excuse to turn you back. Again... do not volunteer any information not asked for ( that's how I got caught) and above all DO NOT TELL ANY FIBS -no matter how inconsequential you think they may be.

As for the Medical, it is £190, and for that you get a chest Xray and a half-arsed medical exam... nothing to worry about if you are reasonably fit and healthy. It is nowhere as in-depth as they suggest in the 'What to expect at your Medical' form. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

p.b,

What does "get blessed" mean? (Maybe the priest is going to douse you with a bucket of gatoraide when your back is turned? )

Regards, JEff

So me and my fiance' have decided to have the reception and get blessed by a family friend of my fiance' who is also a priest at the reception,
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:25 am
Just Joined

p.blow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice guys, the last thing i want or need is to have any problems with the visa. I guess we will just have a big x-mas party

I believe getting blessed is a priest blessing you to the lord and saying a few nice things. I do know it is not law binding or anything. I don't want anything to go wrong so, i wont do it.

Last edited by p.blow; Dec 1st 2009 at 8:27 am.