Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K-1 Visa approved at Interview in London!! (13th Jan 2005) - Long

K-1 Visa approved at Interview in London!! (13th Jan 2005) - Long

Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute
Default K-1 Visa approved at Interview in London!! (13th Jan 2005) - Long

Whee!!!

I'm posting this a week late because it's taken time to write up, and I had my girl visiting me, but better late than never!!

I was approved in London on the 13th January... everything went smoooothly. Here's our experience (already posted to Kamya)

The day prior to my interview, my fiancee and her son (3 yr old) were flying back together from a 4-day holiday in Malaga, Spain. After getting in at Luton Airport, we headed to our prebooked hotel (Central Park Hotel, London) to stay the night. We chose this hotel because of the price (£58 for double bed, 2 adults and a free child bed), it's proximity to Dr Phelan's office, and the quality of the hotel. Now the hotel itself was very nice, clean, quiet, roomy, but my only gripe was that the room we were given had two single beds pushed together. Now the hotel wasn't near the surgery. I think it's around 2.5 km away. Quite simply, we weren't fussed about walking that distance in the morning. It's good exercise, and it's a good way to wake up. We were additionally pushing a stroller, 3 yr old boy and carrying two backpacks with luggage. We made it in about 30-40 mins, and arrived 5-10 mins early, to see a queue of people outside.

The nurse arrived around 8am, and went into the outside/downstairs of the building, underground. We were called in a couple of minutes later. The lady that called us in was I think a receptionist. She was very friendly, and had a good chat with my fiancee's lad. She welcomed us in, said we could leave the stroller inside the front door (they use a buzzer system to let people in, so it's relatively safe). We were walked towards the back of the building, and sat down in a mostly white-ish ground floor waiting room with a real fire flickering away. Quite warm indeed. A circular table sat in the middle with a 'selection' of Gardening magazines, and a few others. Comfy green chairs adorned the outskirts of the room, but we opted for the central table, so the boy could colour, etc!

I was given a double-sided sheet to read, and it said to put inside this pink plastic folder a photo of myself, my passport, my immunization information and my completed questionnaire, then return it to the reception desk. We were told that there's no rush to do this as the order in which we're called up isn't important.

I decided now was the best time to get a looksee at the famous toilet. Well! .... I took a picture of it, which was a little awkward!

We're eventually called up, one by one, by a rather quiet loudspeaker which is in this (ground floor) waiting room. I tried to figure out what system they were using. I got as far as reverse-alphabetical(surname)-with-alternating-gender, then gave up as I couldn't always hear the names very clearly. When mine was called, I went to the receptionist, who explained to me that they needed £125 payment for the medical, and told me what I needed to agree to and sign. It was very friendly and fully explained. Out came the battered and bruised credit card. I asked about paying for the jabs too, but they said that would have to be a separate payment as they didn't know at this stage if it was required for me.

Back to the waiting room to collect my girl and the boy, then downstairs to waiting room No. 2, which was a little smaller. The sign at the top of the stairs said 'Applicants Only', which we duly ignored! Eventually I was called in by the nurse into a small room next to the underground waiting room. She was very friendly, and I was pleased that she was quick. No sooner had I felt that sharp prick in my arm, than it was over. However, the following day I find my arm is criss-crossed with red marks which we believe is a secret code saying "Property of the US Government".

Straight back to the underground waiting room until I get called up by the friendly funny X-Ray guy in green. He took me into a room with a bunch of changing room cubicles and told me to strip off to undies+socks, and put on this disposable dressing gown minus the sleeves. This was where I waited for a few minutes admiring myself in the mirror before he took me into the x-ray room to assume the 'chicken' position. One deep breath later and I was back in the cubicle, twiddling my disposable attached belt. Shortly afterwards, the Doc called me through to his room and had me sit. I had to wonder at what point during their career do Doctors lose their bedside manners. He asked a bunch of questions, wrote out a bunch of stuff on paper, and did very little to make me feel comfortable, which was a shame considering that the rest of the staff were wonderful. His examination was very quick. Too quick, judging by my experience with my regular GPs. He did the usual breathing, eyesight, ears. Then up onto the couch where he tapped my chest, lifted my legs, and took a quick peak inside my undies to check that I was a guy? He also took too much pleasure in tugging on one of my moles.

I told him I'd like to have my shots here (the reason being is that my local surgery have been very difficult in trying to get immunisations through them, as they have rules/regulatios to follow and aren't used to requests for immigrant purposes). I signed some paperwork consenting to treatment. As I left his office, Mr X-Ray said I could change back into my clothes, and he also gave me my rolled up chest X-ray.

I drop off a form that the Doc gave me (with a tick for MMR and another for Td) on the way back to the underground waiting room with my girl and the boy and wait there for a while before being called up to make payment for the two shots (£55 total). They're using Chip+PIN, and the person who handled it seemed new to it, so I helped her a little as she started to say that my card had been rejected ;p

I was then taken to the front room of the building by the window, and wasn't even offered a chair - good job I'm not the fainting variety. I stood while she administered the two injections. She said one of them would leave my arm tender for a couple of days, and she was right. She said there wouldn't be side effects though. Then we had a little chat about my trip to Spain and so on.

That was it! As we got the boy into his stroller by the door, the receptionist and the shots lady came to chat with him which was really nice. It was somewhat after 11pm by now and we were getting hungry, so en route from the surgery to the Embassy, we found a Pret-A-Manger which sold us some expensive sandwiches, and a McDonalds nearby as a treat for the patient 3 year old.

Getting to the Embassy was pretty easy, but I was somewhat shocked when I got there. Several roads had been closed around the building, with security cabins on either side. Heavy cement roadblocks had been put into place, etc etc. We had to follow a very specific path around from one side of the building to the other with armed police watching. It felt safe but daunting at the same time. I later asked the security guard inside the building about it, and he said it's been that way since 9/11.

I've read dozens of comments from K-1'ers saying "Don't join the queue, go straight to the front", but I'm British, and the British queue. It's what we do. Besides, it was moving at a steady pace and only had a handful of people in it, and the guy with the clipboard was always talking to people, checking their interview letters. When it was our turn to speak to the guard, I had just persuaded my girl that she should join us for the interview. The boy was getting cranky and she was talking about staying outside despite the cold. However I asked the guard if it was okay that my fiancee joins me for my fiancee interview, and he started to say "Hmm, not really... " but then he looked at her boy in the stroller and then added "but since you have him..". Wheelchair/stroller users note - there are steps at the Embassy. Grr. We checked in through security, which sadly wasn't as strict as our experiences with airport security a few days ago.

Onwards now around the building to the front, past a jolly policeman in a tent, with a gun. Up the steps (Grr) and inside the building where the security guard sits behind his desk. He asked for electronic items. We offered mobile phone, digital camera and the boy's toy plane which makes a noise and has flashing lights. He said to keep the phone turned off, gave us a ticket and took the camera, and told the boy that he needed to hand the toy in... ...then laughed and said "Naw you can keep it!". We liked him. Up the short flight of stairs to the left, and through a heavy door into a large room with hundreds of seats and people. To our left were two digital touch-screen machines for dispensing tickets (ala supermarket deli counter style). We took one, and joined the queue to purchase a courier's envelope. £10 in cash lighter, I sat down with my new plastic envelope and waited a short while until we heard my number called.

We got to the window, but it was number 1, which was furthest from where we were, and the next number got called in the meantime. Luckily I had already taken a 2nd number after purchasing the envelope, just in case this happened! Fortunately I didn't need it, and when I got to the window, the lady was there waiting. She was very quiet, and too quick and cold. She asked for our documents, but didn't explain what she was doing. She asked for a photocopy of a document, (a form I had filled out) but as she didn't show me it clearly, I couldn't see what she wanted. I told her that I think I have it.. but without saying anything she disappeared and came back with her own copies. Basically they want the copy given to them with the original. At one point, I think we heard her ask for bank statements, which we didn't have. Luckily we didn't need them. As time went by, I was growing more and more nervous. The annoying tannoy was making announcements for people to go to windows every 30 seconds or so, and she was talking while this was going off. I asked her to repeat herself a few times. She was unforgiving, and I left the window feeling quite run down, hoping she'd not be the one giving us the Interview. Luckily she had mentioned that we'd be called by a Consular Officer. My girl laid her head on my lap while the boy took a nap, and I took a few minutes to re-organise my papers. About an hour and 15 minutes later, a crackly human-voice announcement was made of the tannoy, asking for me by my full name, to go to window 13 (and I believe others have stood at this very same window, staring at the masses of desks and computers behind it). It was too crackly the first time so we ignored it ;p but the second time it was made a couple minute later it was far more clear, so we rushed to window 13, to be greeted by a cheery American guy.

He greeted us, and handed me back my birth certificate and Police report. He had me place both my index fingers onto a red-ish pad which did a digital scan of my fingerprints, presumably to check if I'm on record. As I've never commited a crime, and I've never had my prints taken before, I knew I'd be fine, but he did mention that the system had been acting up, and I might receive my visa 1 working day more than usual. We told him that's no problem, I've no plans to fly until March. Sadly neither my girl nor I recall exactly how the conversation went, but he started out by saying that he was going to ask me some embarrassing questions...

He wanted to know how we met. I said online, about 5 years ago (for the curious: a text-based RPG). He asked when I first visited the US so I told him it was the Albany region, December 2003. He then said that his brother(in-law?) lives in Albany, and said, "You've been there in December... and you want to go *back* ??". I told him that she's making me!! He said "I normally ask this, but as I see she's here, I'll ask it anyway as a joke... Has your fiancee ever visited you in the UK?". He said the paperwork was all good, I was healthy, so I would get the Visa. Simple as that.

He gave us the talk about how much time we have to use the Visa, and what we needed to do when arriving at the POE, but I was that excited as it dawned on me that we were approved that I kinda switched off, as I knew from reading exactly what procedure would have to take place.

My girl asked at the end what would happen with regards to me being able to work. He wanted to know where we were going to fly into, and he told her what he thought would happen, but it didn't sound completely correct to me.

He didn't ask for a single shred of additional evidence that we had collected. Nnobody ever got denied for taking too much, but we got by fine on the small amount we had submitted with the I-129F (a few photos, phone bills, engagement cards, ticket stubs from Howe's Caverns and a picture of us in them, boarding passes, and a copy of the valuation for the ring).

And then it was over! We hugged and kissed then began the journey home, stopping briefly to chat with the security guard at the front desk. He was really friendly with us. We all had a silent knowing chuckle when a guy came in talking on his mobile phone, and ignored the security guard's requests to turn it off. Fortunately it's possible to exit the blockaded area around the Embassy on the same side that we entered the building, and there are police there to allow you out.

The courier (I believe it was a CityLink van) turned up outside my door at 10:50am the next day, greeted by me still in my dressing gown, and had me sign for my £10 envelope. The courier chap was a little curious and surprised when we told him what it was! Inside was my passport, with a full page taken up with my Visa sticker. I look awful with a grey face, especially against the colour background of the Visa! It also had a letter with instructions about marriage, and the 'mysterious brown envelope' which was sealed by a stamp, squiggly line and tape. My girl was on the phone to her mother at the time, and my parents were at home, so we were glad they both found out at the same time. I've placed that stuff with the rolled up x-ray, ready for my flight in roughly March 2005.

Good luck and best wishes to all those who are apart from their loved ones, and thanks to all those that have helped us through this!

Andy and Alle!

Last edited by Smaug; Jan 20th 2005 at 11:43 pm. Reason: Toilet removed!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:40 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K-1 Visa approved at Interview in London!! (13th Jan 2005) - Long

Let us be the first to congratulate all of you! But...you're not supposed to give away the secret of the toliet! SHHHHHhhhhhh.......

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Let us be the first to congratulate all of you! But...you're not supposed to give away the secret of the toliet! SHHHHHhhhhhh.......

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink

Toilet secret duly removed!

and thanks!
Now I just gotta quit my job, find a way to transfer my money to the US, wonder what to do with my UK Gov't pension, decide if I wish to continue with voluntary NI contributions, sell my car, cancel my phone contract, transfer my ISP bill over to my parents (who I live with) and say goodbye to people.. the list goes on. Sheesh!
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:49 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smaug
Whee!!!

I'm posting this a week late because it's taken time to write up, and I had my girl visiting me, but better late than never!!

I was approved in London on the 13th January... everything went smoooothly. Here's our experience (already posted to Kamya)

The day prior to my interview, my fiancee and her son (3 yr old) were flying back together from a 4-day holiday in Malaga, Spain. After getting in at Luton Airport, we headed to our prebooked hotel (Central Park Hotel, London) to stay the night. We chose this hotel because of the price (£58 for double bed, 2 adults and a free child bed), it's proximity to Dr Phelan's office, and the quality of
My girl asked at the end what would happen with regards to me being able to work. He wanted to know where we were going to fly into, and he told her what he thought would happen, but it didn't sound completely correct to me.

He didn't ask for a single shred of additional evidence that we had collected. Nnobody ever got denied for taking too much, but we got by fine on the small amount we had submitted with the I-129F (a few photos, phone bills, engagement cards, ticket stubs from Howe's Caverns and a picture of us in them, boarding passes, and a copy of the valuation for the ring).

And then it was over! We hugged and kissed then began the journey home, stopping briefly to chat with the security guard at the front desk. He was really friendly with us. We all had a silent knowing chuckle when a guy came in talking on his mobile phone, and ignored the security guard's requests to turn it off. Fortunately it's possible to exit the blockaded area around the Embassy on the same side that we entered the building, and there are police there to allow you out.

The courier (I believe it was a CityLink van) turned up outside my door at 10:50am the next day, greeted by me still in my dressing gown, and had me sign for my £10 envelope. The courier chap was a little curious and surprised when we told him what it was! Inside was my passport, with a full page taken up with my Visa sticker. I look awful with a grey face, especially against the colour background of the Visa! It also had a letter with instructions about marriage, and the 'mysterious brown envelope' which was sealed by a stamp, squiggly line and tape. My girl was on the phone to her mother at the time, and my parents were at home, so we were glad they both found out at the same time. I've placed that stuff with the rolled up x-ray, ready for my flight in roughly March 2005.

Good luck and best wishes to all those who are apart from their loved ones, and thanks to all those that have helped us through this!

Andy and Alle!

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Did you like Malaga??
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
CONGRATULATIONS!!
Did you like Malaga??
Yeah! It was a very neat place, especially with this really long park region. We visited La Alcazaba, toured around the city (on foot with a 3yr old in a stroller - he was very good!). We picked oranges off the trees and regretted their bitter taste as we munched into them later.

The locals seemed mostly friendly, and knew some English, and were quite forgiving when we tore their language apart as we practiced our Spanish skills on them.. (well, actually I speak for myself there.. my girl was far more proficient!)

The nice areas were ritzy.. the other areas were (we presumed) undergoing out-of-tourist-season upgrades. But then, we didn't wanna go during the tourist season.. we wanted to experience regular life.

It felt safe, and the weather was better than ol' blighty, so we had a nice time!

~Smaug
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Out of sheer curiosity.. am I of the rare sort that aren't intending to fly to the US the very second they have their passport and visa in hand?

I'd love to know how people have organised their affairs such that they ready to fly and leave everything behind, almost straight away? I'm guessing that they're occupying living space which doesn't belong to them (like I am living with parents)... and don't have a car, or other possessions.. and aren't working or hand in their notice prior to the interview on the assumption that they'll get the visa.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:16 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Out of sheer curiosity.. am I of the rare sort that aren't intending to fly to the US the very second they have their passport and visa in hand?

I'd love to know how people have organised their affairs such that they ready to fly and leave everything behind, almost straight away? I'm guessing that they're occupying living space which doesn't belong to them (like I am living with parents)... and don't have a car, or other possessions.. and aren't working or hand in their notice prior to the interview on the assumption that they'll get the visa.
First of all: CONGRATULATIONS!

Now regarding leaving the UK right away...in my case I actually lived in the US with my parents (my dad got a job there), and then moved to the UK with like 3 or 4 suitcases to go to University. Throughout the 3 years of my living there I rented space, so no worries about having to sell anything. I bought some furniture and things, like a desk, alarm clock, stereo, dishes, etc but I always bought the cheapest stuff, so in the end I was like whatever, I'll just leave my furniture here (the house came furnished minus the desk). The rest of the stuff I tried to give away to my friends. So basically I just had to try to shove all my old items into the 3-4 suitcases I came with originally, plus the few additional things I had aquired over the 3 years of course. I have to say though that since I flew back to the US 4 times a year I would slowly start bringing things back with me every trip.
So basically that was all pretty easy to pack up. However, the main reason I flew 2 days after I was approved was the fact that my house lease ran out! When my (then) fiance and I filed for the I-129F we tried to calculate how long it would take for me to get the visa, and we wanted to have it coincide with the end of my school year. Unfortunately they doubled the time on us, so of course our planned timeline didn't work out and everything ended up taking longer. So in the end, besides getting the visa of course, there was also all this pressure that my lease was going to run out and I was going to be homeless.
So yeah, that's my story. I guess I could have written that a lot sjhorter and simpler, but you got the long version - sorry.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts?
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

My now husband received his visa in early February but didn't fly to the US until mid-April. He had to get everything settled before flying over.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:36 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the insight into what will happen to me 14/02. congratulations to you both. I'll see the toilet myself then lol

alan
Whee!!!

The day prior to my interview, my fiancee and her son (3 yr old) were flying back together from a 4-day holiday in Malaga, Spain. After getting in at Luton Airport, we headed to our prebooked hotel (Central Park Hotel, London) to stay the night. We chose this hotel because of the price (£58 for double bed, 2 adults and a free child bed), it's proximity to Dr Phelan's office, and the quality of the hotel. Now the hotel itself was very nice, clean, quiet, roomy, but my only gripe was that the room we were given had two single beds pushed together. Now the hotel wasn't near the surgery. I think it's around 2.5 km away. Quite simply, we weren't fussed about walking that distance in the morning. It's good exercise, and it's a good way to wake up. We were additionally pushing a stroller, 3 yr old boy and carrying two backpacks with luggage. We made it in about 30-40 mins, and arrived 5-10 mins early, to see a queue of people outside.

The nurse arrived around 8am, and went into the outside/downstairs of the building, underground. We were called in a couple of minutes later. The lady that called us in was I think a receptionist. She was very friendly, and had a good chat with my fiancee's lad. She welcomed us in, said we could leave the stroller inside the front door (they use a buzzer system to let people in, so it's relatively safe). We were walked towards the back of the building, and sat down in a mostly white-ish ground floor waiting room with a real fire flickering away. Quite warm indeed. A circular table sat in the middle with a 'selection' of Gardening magazines, and a few others. Comfy green chairs adorned the outskirts of the room, but we opted for the central table, so the boy could colour, etc!

I was given a double-sided sheet to read, and it said to put inside this pink plastic folder a photo of myself, my passport, my immunization information and my completed questionnaire, then return it to the reception desk. We were told that there's no rush to do this as the order in which we're called up isn't important.

I decided now was the best time to get a looksee at the famous toilet. Well! .... I took a picture of it, which was a little awkward!

We're eventually called up, one by one, by a rather quiet loudspeaker which is in this (ground floor) waiting room. I tried to figure out what system they were using. I got as far as reverse-alphabetical(surname)-with-alternating-gender, then gave up as I couldn't always hear the names very clearly. When mine was called, I went to the receptionist, who explained to me that they needed £125 payment for the medical, and told me what I needed to agree to and sign. It was very friendly and fully explained. Out came the battered and bruised credit card. I asked about paying for the jabs too, but they said that would have to be a separate payment as they didn't know at this stage if it was required for me.

Back to the waiting room to collect my girl and the boy, then downstairs to waiting room No. 2, which was a little smaller. The sign at the top of the stairs said 'Applicants Only', which we duly ignored! Eventually I was called in by the nurse into a small room next to the underground waiting room. She was very friendly, and I was pleased that she was quick. No sooner had I felt that sharp prick in my arm, than it was over. However, the following day I find my arm is criss-crossed with red marks which we believe is a secret code saying "Property of the US Government".

Straight back to the underground waiting room until I get called up by the friendly funny X-Ray guy in green. He took me into a room with a bunch of changing room cubicles and told me to strip off to undies+socks, and put on this disposable dressing gown minus the sleeves. This was where I waited for a few minutes admiring myself in the mirror before he took me into the x-ray room to assume the 'chicken' position. One deep breath later and I was back in the cubicle, twiddling my disposable attached belt. Shortly afterwards, the Doc called me through to his room and had me sit. I had to wonder at what point during their career do Doctors lose their bedside manners. He asked a bunch of questions, wrote out a bunch of stuff on paper, and did very little to make me feel comfortable, which was a shame considering that the rest of the staff were wonderful. His examination was very quick. Too quick, judging by my experience with my regular GPs. He did the usual breathing, eyesight, ears. Then up onto the couch where he tapped my chest, lifted my legs, and took a quick peak inside my undies to check that I was a guy? He also took too much pleasure in tugging on one of my moles.

I told him I'd like to have my shots here (the reason being is that my local surgery have been very difficult in trying to get immunisations through them, as they have rules/regulatios to follow and aren't used to requests for immigrant purposes). I signed some paperwork consenting to treatment. As I left his office, Mr X-Ray said I could change back into my clothes, and he also gave me my rolled up chest X-ray.

I drop off a form that the Doc gave me (with a tick for MMR and another for Td) on the way back to the underground waiting room with my girl and the boy and wait there for a while before being called up to make payment for the two shots (£55 total). They're using Chip+PIN, and the person who handled it seemed new to it, so I helped her a little as she started to say that my card had been rejected ;p

I was then taken to the front room of the building by the window, and wasn't even offered a chair - good job I'm not the fainting variety. I stood while she administered the two injections. She said one of them would leave my arm tender for a couple of days, and she was right. She said there wouldn't be side effects though. Then we had a little chat about my trip to Spain and so on.

That was it! As we got the boy into his stroller by the door, the receptionist and the shots lady came to chat with him which was really nice. It was somewhat after 11pm by now and we were getting hungry, so en route from the surgery to the Embassy, we found a Pret-A-Manger which sold us some expensive sandwiches, and a McDonalds nearby as a treat for the patient 3 year old.

Getting to the Embassy was pretty easy, but I was somewhat shocked when I got there. Several roads had been closed around the building, with security cabins on either side. Heavy cement roadblocks had been put into place, etc etc. We had to follow a very specific path around from one side of the building to the other with armed police watching. It felt safe but daunting at the same time. I later asked the security guard inside the building about it, and he said it's been that way since 9/11.

I've read dozens of comments from K-1'ers saying "Don't join the queue, go straight to the front", but I'm British, and the British queue. It's what we do. Besides, it was moving at a steady pace and only had a handful of people in it, and the guy with the clipboard was always talking to people, checking their interview letters. When it was our turn to speak to the guard, I had just persuaded my girl that she should join us for the interview. The boy was getting cranky and she was talking about staying outside despite the cold. However I asked the guard if it was okay that my fiancee joins me for my fiancee interview, and he started to say "Hmm, not really... " but then he looked at her boy in the stroller and then added "but since you have him..". Wheelchair/stroller users note - there are steps at the Embassy. Grr. We checked in through security, which sadly wasn't as strict as our experiences with airport security a few days ago.

Onwards now around the building to the front, past a jolly policeman in a tent, with a gun. Up the steps (Grr) and inside the building where the security guard sits behind his desk. He asked for electronic items. We offered mobile phone, digital camera and the boy's toy plane which makes a noise and has flashing lights. He said to keep the phone turned off, gave us a ticket and took the camera, and told the boy that he needed to hand the toy in... ...then laughed and said "Naw you can keep it!". We liked him. Up the short flight of stairs to the left, and through a heavy door into a large room with hundreds of seats and people. To our left were two digital touch-screen machines for dispensing tickets (ala supermarket deli counter style). We took one, and joined the queue to purchase a courier's envelope. £10 in cash lighter, I sat down with my new plastic envelope and waited a short while until we heard my number called.

We got to the window, but it was number 1, which was furthest from where we were, and the next number got called in the meantime. Luckily I had already taken a 2nd number after purchasing the envelope, just in case this happened! Fortunately I didn't need it, and when I got to the window, the lady was there waiting. She was very quiet, and too quick and cold. She asked for our documents, but didn't explain what she was doing. She asked for a photocopy of a document, (a form I had filled out) but as she didn't show me it clearly, I couldn't see what she wanted. I told her that I think I have it.. but without saying anything she disappeared and came back with her own copies. Basically they want the copy given to them with the original. At one point, I think we heard her ask for bank statements, which we didn't have. Luckily we didn't need them. As time went by, I was growing more and more nervous. The annoying tannoy was making announcements for people to go to windows every 30 seconds or so, and she was talking while this was going off. I asked her to repeat herself a few times. She was unforgiving, and I left the window feeling quite run down, hoping she'd not be the one giving us the Interview. Luckily she had mentioned that we'd be called by a Consular Officer. My girl laid her head on my lap while the boy took a nap, and I took a few minutes to re-organise my papers. About an hour and 15 minutes later, a crackly human-voice announcement was made of the tannoy, asking for me by my full name, to go to window 13 (and I believe others have stood at this very same window, staring at the masses of desks and computers behind it). It was too crackly the first time so we ignored it ;p but the second time it was made a couple minute later it was far more clear, so we rushed to window 13, to be greeted by a cheery American guy.

He greeted us, and handed me back my birth certificate and Police report. He had me place both my index fingers onto a red-ish pad which did a digital scan of my fingerprints, presumably to check if I'm on record. As I've never commited a crime, and I've never had my prints taken before, I knew I'd be fine, but he did mention that the system had been acting up, and I might receive my visa 1 working day more than usual. We told him that's no problem, I've no plans to fly until March. Sadly neither my girl nor I recall exactly how the conversation went, but he started out by saying that he was going to ask me some embarrassing questions...

He wanted to know how we met. I said online, about 5 years ago (for the curious: a text-based RPG). He asked when I first visited the US so I told him it was the Albany region, December 2003. He then said that his brother(in-law?) lives in Albany, and said, "You've been there in December... and you want to go *back* ??". I told him that she's making me!! He said "I normally ask this, but as I see she's here, I'll ask it anyway as a joke... Has your fiancee ever visited you in the UK?". He said the paperwork was all good, I was healthy, so I would get the Visa. Simple as that.

He gave us the talk about how much time we have to use the Visa, and what we needed to do when arriving at the POE, but I was that excited as it dawned on me that we were approved that I kinda switched off, as I knew from reading exactly what procedure would have to take place.

Andy and Alle!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steffi
First of all: CONGRATULATIONS!

Now regarding leaving the UK right away...in my case I actually lived in the US with my parents (my dad got a job there), and then moved to the UK with like 3 or 4 suitcases to go to University. Throughout the 3 years of my living there I rented space, so no worries about having to sell anything. I bought some furniture and things, like a desk, alarm clock, stereo, dishes, etc but I always bought the cheapest stuff, so in the end I was like whatever, I'll just leave my furniture here (the house came furnished minus the desk). The rest of the stuff I tried to give away to my friends. So basically I just had to try to shove all my old items into the 3-4 suitcases I came with originally, plus the few additional things I had aquired over the 3 years of course. I have to say though that since I flew back to the US 4 times a year I would slowly start bringing things back with me every trip.
So basically that was all pretty easy to pack up. However, the main reason I flew 2 days after I was approved was the fact that my house lease ran out! When my (then) fiance and I filed for the I-129F we tried to calculate how long it would take for me to get the visa, and we wanted to have it coincide with the end of my school year. Unfortunately they doubled the time on us, so of course our planned timeline didn't work out and everything ended up taking longer. So in the end, besides getting the visa of course, there was also all this pressure that my lease was going to run out and I was going to be homeless.
So yeah, that's my story. I guess I could have written that a lot sjhorter and simpler, but you got the long version - sorry.
Aye!! I've played that hand too - when I left the US last summer, I left a bunch of bulky/heavy clothes there that I'd not need. When my fiance came to visit me this xmas, she brought her stuff inside a suitcase, but put that suitcase inside a larger one.
I piled all of my stuff inside the larger one (after taking the smaller one out) and she flew back with my DVD collection, clothes, books and so on. I have tons of 'junk' which I shall leave behind, but that's okay.. I will visit my parents from time to time I don't have furniture, just a whole bunch of computer equipment (I'm in IT). People keep telling me that I can take my electrical stuff and use an adapter.. but that's one adapter PER socket I plug into, and I still can only use ones which will work at 110V.

You were bloody lucky to get the ticket and the visa in time
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:01 pm
Jason

I got my K1 from London on Feb 26th of last year and left the UK just
48 hours later. In the run up to the interview I had (big list coming
up!) sold my apartment and gone back to living with my folks, either
sold, given away or chucked out most of my belongings, handed my notice
in at work a month prior to the interview, wrote to the Inland Revenue
to tell them a) I was leaving the UK so would be non-resident for tax
purposes and b) sorted out my tax refund ;-)

I also sold my motorcycle (*sob*!!*), applied for and opened a new bank
account in the States, closed down things like insurance policies and
savings accounts, cancelled direct debits and standing orders, sent out
change of address letters and cards, bought a one-way plane ticket for
two days after my K1 interview, phoned my finance people and told them
to go ahead and wire my funds accross to my fiancee's bank account
(after I'd got my passport with the K1 in my hand) and had a big
leaving party and got very drunk. ;-)

I kept my UK bank account running - you don't know how useful it is on
trips back home - plus you never know what might happen in the future -
if I ever return to the UK I'll already have a bank account ready to
use. You get an enormous baggage allowance on Virgin Atlantic so I used
that to my advantage to get my stuff over here on various trips before
I flew out on the one way ticket with the K1 - plus when friends and
family came to visit after I'd moved - they brought stuff over with
them too. So that saved a fortune on shipping costs which was great.

There was quite a lot to do but if you know the date you're gonna be
leaving and have a non-refundable plane ticket - you'll get it done
trust me!

Good luck in the States

Jason

Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:09 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Aye!! I've played that hand too - when I left the US last summer, I left a bunch of bulky/heavy clothes there that I'd not need. When my fiance came to visit me this xmas, she brought her stuff inside a suitcase, but put that suitcase inside a larger one.
I piled all of my stuff inside the larger one (after taking the smaller one out) and she flew back with my DVD collection, clothes, books and so on. I have tons of 'junk' which I shall leave behind, but that's okay.. I will visit my parents from time to time I don't have furniture, just a whole bunch of computer equipment (I'm in IT). People keep telling me that I can take my electrical stuff and use an adapter.. but that's one adapter PER socket I plug into, and I still can only use ones which will work at 110V.

You were bloody lucky to get the ticket and the visa in time
Yeah, I know! I had the interview Friday, got approved (thankfully they still gave you your visa the same day then), went home and spent the afternoon looking for the cheapest flight out, booked it, packed the rest of my stuff and spent the remaining time cleaning the house so I could get my despoit back. Man oh man was I relieved that it all worked out! I actually sent the Embassy a letter begging them to get an interview before August 31st. I never heard anything back, but sure enough I got my interview August 29th. So either it was a really big coincidence, or else they got my letter.

Hmmm, not sure what to tell you about all your computer stuff. I had a laptop when I went to the UK, and the plug it comes with can handle both American and European voltage, so all I had to do was buy one of those cheap-o plug changers so I could actually plug it in. That worked fine. I don't know what to tell you though if you have a PC...because those probably don't come with those automatic converters, do they? As far as how to take it with you I'm not sure. It seems like Karen D (she doesn't post on here anymore really) shipped her computer. I can try and ask her about it and hope she responds...otherwise maybe other people can tell you how they managed to move stuff?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:16 pm
Jason

well yeah I was lucky actually - fortunately the day I had my K1
interview was the last day they gave your stamped up passport back to
you on the same day. Now I beleive you leave your passport there and
they courier it to you a day or two later? So I left the Embassy with
my K1 and used it 2 days later - would have been a bit of a sweat if
I'd have been waiting on a courier I must say!!!!

Yeah I sold all my electrical equipment (apart from my laptop which
comes with a voltage converter) - you can buy it all cheaper out here
and I didn't want to get caught up in power adapter hell!

:-)

Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

My now husband received his visa in early February but didn't fly to the US until mid-April. He had to get everything settled before flying over.

That makes me feel better.. I was kinda wondering if I was the only one not flying immediately

I've already started checking around for plane tickets. I'm very close to booking one on Virgin (LHR-JFK) for around £205 (it's a round trip which is cheaper for some odd reason, than one-way)
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steffi
Yeah, I know! I had the interview Friday, got approved (thankfully they still gave you your visa the same day then), went home and spent the afternoon looking for the cheapest flight out, booked it, packed the rest of my stuff and spent the remaining time cleaning the house so I could get my despoit back. Man oh man was I relieved that it all worked out! I actually sent the Embassy a letter begging them to get an interview before August 31st. I never heard anything back, but sure enough I got my interview August 29th. So either it was a really big coincidence, or else they got my letter.

Hmmm, not sure what to tell you about all your computer stuff. I had a laptop when I went to the UK, and the plug it comes with can handle both American and European voltage, so all I had to do was buy one of those cheap-o plug changers so I could actually plug it in. That worked fine. I don't know what to tell you though if you have a PC...because those probably don't come with those automatic converters, do they? As far as how to take it with you I'm not sure. It seems like Karen D (she doesn't post on here anymore really) shipped her computer. I can try and ask her about it and hope she responds...otherwise maybe other people can tell you how they managed to move stuff?

Yikes that must have been the most furious and enjoyable cleaning experiences you're ever likely to have!

Actually the computer stuff should be easy as most power supplies for them have voltage selection switches... so the most I'll need is a different cable. It's the other electrical stuff like power adapters, that I'll need to see about. Perhaps I'll search, or start another thread elsewhere on expats to see what other people have done. I don't fancy shipping my PC... seems too expensive and too much hassle. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've no experience in doing it I know that I can disassemble my computer and pack it inside my suitcases.. boy wont that be fun, the x-ray machine people seeing circuit boards ;p

We also asked to have our interview while my girl was here, and *not* on the dates that I had to deliver her/pick her up from the airport... We got our wish, and had our interview together, 4 days before she flew home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.